R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another Blue Peter con...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: another Blue Peter con... Reply with quote

Blue Peter used 2 more actors as winners Shocked Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a load of fuss about very little in this case. I worked on a TV show for a regional company years and years (and even more years!) ago in which we invited viewers to come up with a name for a new show that was to spin off the one we were doing. The prize was a VIP visit to a main theatre and the chance to meet the stars backstage. We got loads and loads of entries - but all the suggested names were utter crap. So we faked a winner by having a chat with some kid we knew, dropped hints about possible show names they might come up with if they entered, and what a fab prize it was if they won.

It worked, and we got the name of the series we wanted. So what? It happens all the time - especially on local radio. Me as Mrs FWF won a holiday once, but I'll say no more about it. Shocked
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well as long as no animals were harmed and no one caught for fraud it must be OK then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

a pity you weren't there when they invented phone entry competitions you could have made 8m Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Oh well as long as no animals were harmed and no one caught for fraud it must be OK then Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

a pity you weren't there when they invented phone entry competitions you could have made 8m Rolling Eyes


I know. I missed out than one! Cool
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show needs to be reviewed now. It's not what it used to be with John Noakes and Peter Purves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
The show needs to be reviewed now. It's not what it used to be with John Noakes and Peter Purves.


But does its target audience agree with you?
Back to top
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is a fuss about nothing. I'm sure it's been standard practice on TV for decades (in fact, this story is 2 years old!) and I really really don't see what the fuss is about.

And, all those papers having a pop today never ever fake anything do they? FFS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
And, all those papers having a pop today never ever fake anything do they? FFS!


I mentioned somewhere before that I recently sat next to a journalist on a flight back from Athens who works for the Daily **** who told me that just about every headline story is either fabricated completely or has only a minimal basis of truth. It was interesting to learn, also, that if journos don't sensationalise a story for maximum headline potential they'll risk being demoted or put out onto one of the group's lesser publications. Apparently, the proprietor - who ought to remain nameless in this context but whose name isn't difficult to guess - rules with a rod of iron and gets extremely aggressive if his journos and picture editors aren't coming up with "good stuff".

I'm glad I don't buy or even read any of the red-tops.
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Oh, this is a fuss about nothing. I'm sure it's been standard practice on TV for decades (in fact, this story is 2 years old!) and I really really don't see what the fuss is about.

And, all those papers having a pop today never ever fake anything do they? FFS!


Nothing ? It's called dis-honesty and when money is involved probably fraud.

Send in the 'BBC Rogue Traders' Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think somebody's either having a bit of *un with the profanity *ilter in phpBB admin or they've gone barmy.

Perhaps a wildcard value has been applied to all words beginning with the letter that comes before "g"? Very silly!

Rule number one where server backend admin is concerned: Test your modi*ications *irst!!!!!!!
Back to top
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
Oh, this is a fuss about nothing. I'm sure it's been standard practice on TV for decades (in fact, this story is 2 years old!) and I really really don't see what the fuss is about.

And, all those papers having a pop today never ever fake anything do they? FFS!


Nothing ? It's called dis-honesty and when money is involved probably fraud.

Send in the 'BBC Rogue Traders' Laughing

What money? Where's the money problem here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said money was involved here ? just dishonesty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Who said money was involved here ? just dishonesty

You said money! up above - you called it fraud.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Matt Marisco
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not idea what all this debate is for. Here in Espana we had a local tv beauty pageant and it is known that the girl that won it got the prize because her father supplied the organiser with pigs at a very good price. So what is the problem i ask? It was fun for all and nobody seemed to care.
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
nod wrote:
Who said money was involved here ? just dishonesty

You said money! up above - you called it fraud.


I said WHEN money was involved..., not that it was in this case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Marisco wrote:
I have not idea what all this debate is for. Here in Espana we had a local tv beauty pageant and it is known that the girl that won it got the prize because her father supplied the organiser with pigs at a very good price. So what is the problem i ask? It was fun for all and nobody seemed to care.


here in the UK some of us like to be above corruption, well we like the institutions to be anyway Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Marisco wrote:
I have not idea what all this debate is for. Here in Espana we had a local tv beauty pageant and it is known that the girl that won it got the prize because her father supplied the organiser with pigs at a very good price. So what is the problem i ask? It was fun for all and nobody seemed to care.


Love it! Laughing Laughing Laughing Do you think that I could speed up the planning application for my extension if I bunged the planning officer some pigs? Way to go! Smile Oink Oink!!!

nod wrote:

here in the UK some of us like to be above corruption, well we like the institutions to be anyway Rolling Eyes


Hey - you speak for yourself! I need that planning permission! Smile
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Who said money was involved here ? just dishonesty




That gives a bad impression on Kids who the show should be targeting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firewirefred
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
That gives a bad impression on Kids who the show should be targeting.


The show "should" be targeting? Who is the show targeting right now then? Elderly grannies?
Back to top
Barkingbiker



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2313
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm in a tea cup, IMHO, children on a children's programme, were the child actors fans, did they watch Blue Peter? If so what's the big deal?

BB Twisted Evil
_________________
Old Bikers Never Die, our leathers just get tighter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dishonesty obviously isn't something that people are bothered about these days Rolling Eyes

even the controller admited they should have explained...

Richard Deverell, controller of BBC children's programmes, said: "Our presenter should have made it clear that only some of the children on the show came via the website."

and OFCOM fined them 50,000 when they rigged the cat name poll.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barkingbiker



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2313
Location: Lincolnshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
dishonesty obviously isn't something that people are bothered about these days Rolling Eyes

even the controller admited they should have explained...

Richard Deverell, controller of BBC children's programmes, said: "Our presenter should have made it clear that only some of the children on the show came via the website."

and OFCOM fined them 50,000 when they rigged the cat name poll.


I don't think Blue Peter were being dishonest, because they did not say that all the children didn't come from the website was telling an untruth. If we are bothered about dishonesty in public life we should be far more concerned about what our MP's, councillors, local authorities and government offices tell us and don't tell us. I sure am and the cat's name affair was dishonest and totally different to children submitting questions to a comedian, IMHO.

BB Twisted Evil
_________________
Old Bikers Never Die, our leathers just get tighter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com