R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking News-Zoe Ball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
My logic is not flawed. Logic has only two true states- on or off, and as far as increasing the number of "delivery platforms" and being able to "share content" with other "users", it's hard -off. All of this techogeekery is load of, if I may say so, fashionable nonsense.


Like iPlayer itself - or "technogeekery" like web forums, I suppose? (Or web-forums a hard "off" too?).

Rachel wrote:
In ten years time I-player Flash and all your other "solutions" will be in the same pile as the NHS integrated client database..... on the road to nowhere- the rest of us will watch telly in the normal way.


Yeah right. Assuming there is "telly in the normal way" to watch, of course.

Rachel wrote:
New stuff! What new stuff?


Now I know you're being silly. So every radio show on R2 is a repeat? Every single TV programme transmitted across all BBC channels is a repeat? Rolling Eyes

Rachel wrote:
Needing to watch a weather forecast on a phone just seems like bad planning to me.


Why? If I'm on a train and a photographer phones and asks me if we can change a shooting location - but that we need to check a weather forecast before making a decision you think that's an un-necessary exercise on my part (despite having the means to do so at my fingertips) simply because it reflects "bad planning"? So I should have responded by saying "No, even though I can get a weather forecast on my Nokia I won't do because some woman on a forum thinks it's down to bad planning"? If that's the case, why are you logging into and using a web forum? Isn't that a bit "technogeeky"?

You're being absurd, Rachel.
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, why do you have tio be so aggressive? Rachel is entitled to her POV, as we all are, and nobody objects to you expressing yours. just be a bit nicer about it please!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've just torn up what I was going to say, because he's always right and must have the last word.

Incidentally, I was only trying to be courteous to the other members of this forum, including Rob, who quietly but pointedly posted a comment about Zoe Ball in the middle of all this, by suggesting that the discussion be moved.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
Rachel wrote:
My logic is not flawed. Logic has only two true states- on or off, and as far as increasing the number of "delivery platforms" and being able to "share content" with other "users", it's hard -off. All of this techogeekery is load of, if I may say so, fashionable nonsense.


Like iPlayer itself - or "technogeekery" like web forums, I suppose? (Or web-forums a hard "off" too?).

Rachel wrote:
In ten years time I-player Flash and all your other "solutions" will be in the same pile as the NHS integrated client database..... on the road to nowhere- the rest of us will watch telly in the normal way.


Yeah right. Assuming there is "telly in the normal way" to watch, of course.

Rachel wrote:
New stuff! What new stuff?


Now I know you're being silly. So every radio show on R2 is a repeat? Every single TV programme transmitted across all BBC channels is a repeat? Rolling Eyes

Rachel wrote:
Needing to watch a weather forecast on a phone just seems like bad planning to me.


Why? If I'm on a train and a photographer phones and asks me if we can change a shooting location - but that we need to check a weather forecast before making a decision you think that's an un-necessary exercise on my part (despite having the means to do so at my fingertips) simply because it reflects "bad planning"? So I should have responded by saying "No, even though I can get a weather forecast on my Nokia I won't do because some woman on a forum thinks it's down to bad planning"? If that's the case, why are you logging into and using a web forum? Isn't that a bit "technogeeky"?

You're being absurd, Rachel.


You're just not thinking clearly, Colby. Technogeekery is fine- I love it- I've got every gadget under the sun, but it won't work as a mainstream broadcasting medium because you will never get a platform stable enough for long enough to be able to saturate the mass market with it. There it is.


BTW....If you're on a train, and a photographer phones you to ask you to change a shooting location- the weather ( although usually wrong) is irrelavent - because - just like your dream of IT-TV, you're on the wrong train sweetheart.
Back to top
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Technogeekery is fine- I love it- I've got every gadget under the sun, but it won't work as a mainstream broadcasting medium because you will never get a platform stable enough for long enough to be able to saturate the mass market with it. There it is.


There it isn't. If that's the case, how come iPlayer (and equivalent technology) is being used in record-breaking numbers? How come so many people are now turning to YouTube and the like for their primary source of "shared" video content? How come traditional broadcasters are having to adapt to these new forms of (excuse the "geeky" term) delivery?

You seem to be ignoring what's going on around you; it's not just a "possible" for the future, it's happening right now, and the broadcasters are very worried. Why do you think ITV's mainstream spot and sponsored ad revenue has plummeted by 40% in a single year? Because these other "content platforms" are taking it off them, that's why. And why might that be..............????? Because change is occuring to the way people watch "television" that's why.

Rachel wrote:
BTW....If you're on a train, and a photographer phones you to ask you to change a shooting location- the weather ( although usually wrong) is irrelavent - because - just like your dream of IT-TV, you're on the wrong train sweetheart.


I'll take that as a bit of sarcasm, love. Our little change of plan with the snapper all worked out very well, as it happens - despite the intervention of the "geekery".

By the way, when you're out in a car on the public highway, you really don't need that bloke with the red flag to be walking in front of your vehicle any more. Automobile technology has come on a bit since ye olden days.

Just thought I'd mention it!!! Cool

Oh...... and soon the iPlayer will be coming to digital TV. Ooops. Sorry... I've mentioned that earlier. But iPlayer's a bit geeky so I'll leave it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My driver deals with all the road traffic regulations, cupcake- he's ever so sweet.

So how is this pay per view I-player going to work- will it work on my new ( 1 week old telly) ? Or are we all going to have to change our "viewing platform" for it to work? Maybe another new set top box is on the cards? How will the Beeb charge me? I hope it works better than the red button news multi-screen, which seems to be in a perminent state of regret, for being, unavailable at this time. Time will tell - no doubt.
Back to top
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2874

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Ron.

I wish Rachel and Colby would go into a room, have a fight, get it out of their systems etc and then if necessary continue the bickering elsewhere.

The Zoe Ball thread has gone off track somewhat which is disappointing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
So how is this pay per view I-player going to work- will it work on my new ( 1 week old telly) ?


Who said anything about pay-per-view, doll?

Rachel wrote:
Or are we all going to have to change our "viewing platform" for it to work?


Who said anything about changing "viewing platforms"?

Rachel wrote:
Maybe another new set top box is on the cards? How will the Beeb charge me? I hope it works better than the red button news multi-screen, which seems to be in a perminent state of regret, for being, unavailable at this time. Time will tell - no doubt.


Blimey Rachel, changing those gramophone needles on that windy-uppy HMV monstrosity must cost you a fortune! Didn't you know that you can buy little shiny discs that slot into a machine in order to hear music? They're called CDs! But hurry - because soon they'll have given way to new things that have no moving parts at all. They'll call them something geeky and nerdy like "iPods" or something daft like that. Only for technogeeks, though, so nothing to worry about, and they probably won't catch on anyhow. The majority of people are luddites, after all. As you say - no point in trying to sell people stuff they neither want nor need.

Technology, eh?????? Rolling Eyes

Mark Mayhew wrote:
I agree with you Ron.

I wish Rachel and Colby would go into a room, have a fight, get it out of their systems etc and then if necessary continue the bickering elsewhere.

The Zoe Ball thread has gone off track somewhat which is disappointing.


Never mind. It had finished anyhow.
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
Rachel wrote:
Technogeekery is fine- I love it- I've got every gadget under the sun, but it won't work as a mainstream broadcasting medium because you will never get a platform stable enough for long enough to be able to saturate the mass market with it. There it is.


There it isn't. If that's the case, how come iPlayer (and equivalent technology) is being used in record-breaking numbers? How come so many people are now turning to YouTube and the like for their primary source of "shared" video content? How come traditional broadcasters are having to adapt to these new forms of (excuse the "geeky" term) delivery?


They are bound to be record-breaking numbers, since it is a new service starting at zero. But what are the numbers, exactly? - I've seen articles quoting gigabytes and petabytes, and I've heard ISPs squealing about the usage putting a strain on their broadband resources, and they say that the peak time usage on an i-phone is in bed first thing in the morning at the weekend Shocked but no-one has said how many people use it how often. I-Player's boss Anthony Rose admits it's still well behind youtube.



colby wrote:
You seem to be ignoring what's going on around you; it's not just a "possible" for the future, it's happening right now, and the broadcasters are very worried. Why do you think ITV's mainstream spot and sponsored ad revenue has plummeted by 40% in a single year? Because these other "content platforms" are taking it off them, that's why. And why might that be..............????? Because change is occuring to the way people watch "television" that's why.


The fall in ITV's advertising revenue is only partly due to the fragmentation of the market. Poor programming (in depth) and audience figures, and substantially lower advertising spending in recession by some of the big corporate names (Unilever, Procter & Gamble, Heinz etc) has contributed to their troubles. The number of households with access to other "content platforms" is still growing (12.8m cable/satellite subscribers, 17.7m DTT boxes and integrated tvs) but rarely do any of the digital channels attract audiences over 1m.


colby wrote:
Oh...... and soon the iPlayer will be coming to digital TV. Ooops. Sorry... I've mentioned that earlier. But iPlayer's a bit geeky so I'll leave it. Laughing Laughing Laughing


It has taken three and a half years to get to where we are today - only customers of Virgin's cable service can get it on their televisions (and they don't get the full monty because it's the old Beta technology. I have it, and it's fine when you get there, but calling it up is so slow and clunky you could boil an egg while waiting). They have yet to decide how to put it onto Freeview/Freesat, and the regulator wants some input, which will doubtless delay things further. By the time they get around to selling it to us in economically viable numbers and cost, technology will doubtless have moved on again.

colby wrote:
Rachel wrote:

So how is this pay per view I-player going to work- will it work on my new ( 1 week old telly)?



Who said anything about pay-per-view, doll?


Yes, you did only say subscription, for back catalogue after 7 days, but I'm sure they will want pay-per-view capability, for "premium" events such as concerts, and some sports.

colby wrote:
Rachel wrote:

Or are we all going to have to change our "viewing platform" for it to work?



Who said anything about changing "viewing platforms"?

Rachel wrote:

Maybe another new set top box is on the cards? How will the Beeb charge me? I hope it works better than the red button news multi-screen, which seems to be in a perminent state of regret, for being, unavailable at this time. Time will tell - no doubt.


-


I won't bother quoting the insulting reply to that.

I don't know; colby, you're the expert. I suspect that yes, another set-top box will almost certainly be required; as I said, they haven't decided how i-player is going to be delivered yet, but I don't suppose for a minute that the existing Freeview and Top-Up TV boxes, whether they cost 19 or 190, or the gubbins integrated into new televisions which work only fitfully anyway, will be compatible (even those new "i-player enabled" ones). My Virgin box is a horrid grey plastic, almost as big as a VCR, (Sky's are an even worse dirty white) - and I'm on the third one in ten years - let's hope they make the new ones smaller and more reliable/durable.

Now hang on a minute, what did I say about technology moving on again? I thought that the ultimate aim of this i-player technology, intimated at the start of this heated discussion, was to eliminate the need for the traditional television station, with its expensive studios and continuity announcers, putting together a sequence of programmes for our entertainment and information through the day, to be replaced by one server, one chip, containing a library of material loaded onto it by the "broadcasting companies", for the armchair viewer, or bloke in the train with his nokia, to pick and choose at will, as he does with i-tunes etc. So why are we talking about clunky set-top boxes?
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
I-Player's boss Anthony Rose admits it's still well behind youtube.


Of course it is, largely because YouTube hosts and serves clips that - in the main - are put there by all and sundry (in addition to an increasing amount of stuff uploaded by traditional broadcasting bodies), whereas iPlayer is used by the BBC to deliver its own content. And to a primarily UK audience, too.

RockitRon wrote:
So why are we talking about clunky set-top boxes?


That's a good question. It wasn't me that introduced them into the discussion, either.

Anyway, matters of "technogeekery" (whatever that really means) aside, the fact is that we're in the process of seeing a major shift away from the traditional linearity of "television" viewing to a more fragmented, random-access model of watching what we want to watch when we want to watch it - and no amount of discussion here will change the observation that I made about the increasing role to be played by the likes of iPlayer at the beginning of this thread-within-a-thread.

PS: If you read the thread a bit more carefully you'll see that my "insulting reply" to Rachel was actually one that was made in the style of one of her own comments to me. But never mind, eh?
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be such a burden, being blessed with Omniscience Rolling Eyes
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
It must be such a burden, being blessed with Omniscience Rolling Eyes


How true, but I can cope.

Perhaps we should revert to discussing (yet again) who it is that's likely to replace Terry Wogan or the fact that Steve Wright is (a) loved and (b) unloved?

Other interesting topics might include: Sarah Kennedy's cats, Richard Allinson's albums and.......... well I won't even mention the unmentionable Drivetime host!

Doesn't leave much does it?
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some of us enjoy those topics - if it's all too dull for you, perhaps you should seek pastures new.
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
Well some of us enjoy those topics - if it's all too dull for you, perhaps you should seek pastures new.


That was exactly the response I was expecting! Well done.

Bloody hell - it's going to be even quieter round these parts is it not?
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure more people would put their heads above the parapet if they weren't so worried about flying bullets!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
Well some of us enjoy those topics - if it's all too dull for you, perhaps you should seek pastures new.


That was exactly the response I was expecting! Well done.

Bloody hell - it's going to be even quieter round these parts is it not?


Just out of interest, Colby, did you ever have a Filofax?
Back to top
igs007



Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I hear Zoe Ball is joining R2 on a regular basis... Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe did say " she will learn how to run the desk"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Zoe Sung Jingle Reply with quote

http://jinglemad.com/e107_files/public/1244918235_6620_FT72272_zoe_ball.mp3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2874

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

186 buttons on the desk.

I imagine it takes quite a lot of training/time to be proficient at running the desk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fred



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

186 is a lot of buttons to take care of! I guess it depends on how good technical knowledge you have really. If it is good already then it could be that all is needed is a short reminder on what does what, what the ideal level is, any "standards" that desk operators at the BBC are required to have.

I'm guessing that at least half the buttons aren't needed unless you've got live performances but not being an expert on BBC studios I would't have a clue!

I would be interested to know if there are "standards" required by BBC desk operators and what they are though???
_________________
Fred Hart
Student & Broadcaster
Website: http://www.fred-hart.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zoe breakfast show is rushed to much. I wouldn't like to see SOT60'S disappear, but I do think the show needs to be extended a little.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mayhew wrote:
186 buttons on the desk.

I imagine it takes quite a lot of training/time to be proficient at running the desk.


That's not as bad as it shounds. Judging from the webcam images of the studios, there are about 16 channels on the desk. Many of the buttons will do the same thing for each channel in turn. Learn one channel and you've learned them all.

I suspect that the most difficult thing to learn is the software on the touchscreen system, used for most of the music and jingles. And once you've mastered that, then you've got to figure out *where* the music and jingles you want are actually located. It's a long way from a box of singles and a rack of carts that used to populate self-op studios!

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Powerfulglenith
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont be listening to her next week in Kens spot
Back to top
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I suspect that the most difficult thing to learn is the software on the touchscreen system, used for most of the music and jingles. And once you've mastered that, then you've got to figure out *where* the music and jingles you want are actually located. It's a long way from a box of singles and a rack of carts that used to populate self-op studios!


It's easier than the old systems of Gates turntables and Sonifex carts and custom-built BBC mixers. If they're using the Galileo system now it's simply a matter of dragging and dropping items into a running order. Even more useful is the fact that the tech op next door can over-ride it for less-than-confident presenters. At its simplest, all they have to do is to hit the "fire" button on the desk and open the right fader channel. They don't even have to worry about levels as the T/O will do that as well.
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickSheffield



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 508

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take many random days off for no reason but when I do (as I am next week), Zoe's always there. Not that I'm complaining, but it's just an observation. Bet you all found that fascinating Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickSheffield wrote:
I don't take many random days off for no reason but when I do (as I am next week), Zoe's always there. Not that I'm complaining, but it's just an observation. Bet you all found that fascinating Wink

Has anyone rang the Sunday press yet? Razz Laughing
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
Rob wrote:
I suspect that the most difficult thing to learn is the software on the touchscreen system, used for most of the music and jingles. And once you've mastered that, then you've got to figure out *where* the music and jingles you want are actually located. It's a long way from a box of singles and a rack of carts that used to populate self-op studios!


It's easier than the old systems of Gates turntables and Sonifex carts and custom-built BBC mixers. If they're using the Galileo system now it's simply a matter of dragging and dropping items into a running order. Even more useful is the fact that the tech op next door can over-ride it for less-than-confident presenters. At its simplest, all they have to do is to hit the "fire" button on the desk and open the right fader channel. They don't even have to worry about levels as the T/O will do that as well.


Now there speaks a man who's computer literate. Not everyone finds software easy to understand.

Records, however, were things we grew up with at home. A broadcast turntable was just quicker to start and robust enough to cue up on. And Sonifex cart machines were easy-peasy; one box per cut, with the cut identified by a sticker on the end. You just shot any presenter who didn't cue them up; standard practice was to leave any cart that hadn't cued before it was removed upside down next to the machine, as a reminder to cue it before you put it away.

I like my studios tactile!

The one big advantage of playout systems is that you don't have to put anything away afterwards.

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
You just shot any presenter who didn't cue them up; standard practice was to leave any cart that hadn't cued before it was removed upside down next to the machine, as a reminder to cue it before you put it away.

I like my studios tactile!


Tactile indeed. PFL being used - with the channel open. And there's always the happy memory of worn pinch-rollers chewing tapes in carts, of course (and always on air!). Happy daze.
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes Ken Bruce forgets to add the traffic jingle to the box. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!! That's a hanging offence, surely

_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
colby wrote:
Rob wrote:
I suspect that the most difficult thing to learn is the software on the touchscreen system, used for most of the music and jingles. And once you've mastered that, then you've got to figure out *where* the music and jingles you want are actually located. It's a long way from a box of singles and a rack of carts that used to populate self-op studios!


It's easier than the old systems of Gates turntables and Sonifex carts and custom-built BBC mixers. If they're using the Galileo system now it's simply a matter of dragging and dropping items into a running order. Even more useful is the fact that the tech op next door can over-ride it for less-than-confident presenters. At its simplest, all they have to do is to hit the "fire" button on the desk and open the right fader channel. They don't even have to worry about levels as the T/O will do that as well.


Now there speaks a man who's computer literate. Not everyone finds software easy to understand.

Records, however, were things we grew up with at home. A broadcast turntable was just quicker to start and robust enough to cue up on. And Sonifex cart machines were easy-peasy; one box per cut, with the cut identified by a sticker on the end. You just shot any presenter who didn't cue them up; standard practice was to leave any cart that hadn't cued before it was removed upside down next to the machine, as a reminder to cue it before you put it away.

I like my studios tactile!

The one big advantage of playout systems is that you don't have to put anything away afterwards.

Rob.


I used Carts at Hospital Radio and hopefully the machine cued it back. Although I did put most of the stuff on Mini Disc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2874

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark O-I wasn't aware you were a budding DJ/presenter.

Out of curiousity whose style have you based your own on-I hope it isn't based on Steve Wright or Sarah Kennedy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
I used Carts at Hospital Radio and hopefully the machine cued it back. Although I did put most of the stuff on Mini Disc.


Mini Disc? That's a bit new-fangled innit?

Nothing like "Spotmaster" carts. Now that's where it's at (as they used to say on the Mi Amigo).

Mark Mayhew wrote:
Mark O-I wasn't aware you were a budding DJ/presenter.

Out of curiousity whose style have you based your own on-I hope it isn't based on Steve Wright or Sarah Kennedy.


I can just hear his jingle now:

"Oh, oh, it's the Mark O Show!"

Well, I thought it was pretty good in a local radio sort of way, anyhow!
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do Hospital Radio anymore. Yes I did have some jingles made for me and recorded some shows which I still have. No Mark M I never based myself on anyone. Adrian Juste came to our Hospital Radio after he was sacked at Radio1 to do a show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Adrian Juste came to our Hospital Radio after he was sacked at Radio1 to do a show.


You name-dropper you, Mark! Cool Adrian Juste, eh? Well I never..... Smile

Actually, talking of name-dropping, I interviewed him for a student newspaper once and he was a great bloke. Each week he put a huge amount of research into his Saturday lunchtime Radio One show in the late 70s/early 80s. He had a home studio up in Birmingham where he put all the segments together - he talked me through some of the technology and techniques he used. All the tape edits were then played into his show in real time which he presented live at BH Egton House (as was). Quite a feat.
_________________
(signature and avatar removed, violated forum Rule 2.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're into name dropping, I interviewed a number of Capital Radio people during a summer holiday from Uni; I turned the tape into a feature on my show on the campus radio station for a few weeks. Adrian Love was good enough to come in for a 2-hour live interview and chat; I had been listening to him on the Capital phone in for years, so knew a lot about him. His girlfriend was a producer at Capital and she said it was one of the best interviews she had ever heard. I think she learned things about him!

I later interviewed Adrian again in studio B15 at BH, after his move to the BBC as a "talk jockey". The interview was recorded after his Sunday show had come off air.

I do interviews for the hospital station I'm on, but we don't get big names. Just senior people from the hospital we want to butter up a bit!

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I add to this thread. Zoe mentioned she's now driving the desk Laughing .. She did used too, but then stopped and back doing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
I thought I add to this thread. Zoe mentioned she's now driving the desk Laughing .. She did used too, but then stopped and back doing it.


It's a lot easier these days, so all Zoe has to do is to remember when to talk and when not to and when to throw open the right mic channel.

Can she fill a show with sufficient chat to keep her listeners entertained, I wonder?
Back to top
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6891
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this with trepidation, thought the news was going to be that she had got Dawn Patrol. Please don't scare me any more! Laughing
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com