R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midsomer Murder

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Midsomer Murder Reply with quote

John Nettles is leaving the show after 13 years and more than 80 episodes as his character retires. The role will now go to cousin DCI John Barnaby, played by Neil Dudgeon, whose past roles include Life Of Riley and Common As Muck.

He made an appearance on Wednesday 10th February 2010 episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Number Six



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 409
Location: In the village

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that in 80 episodes they never mentioned another DCI Barnaby and wouldn't his cousin be roughly the same age?

Oh well. I suppose this is the end for Joyce as well. No more Midsomer jam making
_________________
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2874

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anybody left in Midsomer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mayhew wrote:
Is there anybody left in Midsomer?


Isn't that where Richard Allinson lives? Shocked Laughing
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toggy



Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 1239

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a higher murder rate than the Bronx, why would anybody want to live there.
How come Mrs Barnaby always either knew one of the victims or the murderer, definitely something Dodgy about her Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aviddiva



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 1135
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Midsomer Murders Reply with quote

I'm surprised it isn't twinned with Bon Temps in True Blood!
_________________
We are loonies and we are proud!

- Campbell Bain in 'Takin' Over The Asylum'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember last year some report saying that the TV show had NEVER featured a non-white character/actor, and we soon found out the reason was - a racist producer! Shocked

Sorted!

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/first--non-white--lead-character-for-midsomer-murders.html
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a more plausible explanation is that you don't tend to get many non white people in sleepy English villages - it's just a fact like it or not Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I think a more plausible explanation is that you don't tend to get many non white people in sleepy English villages - it's just a fact like it or not Smile


Don't get many true, same in many Scottish towns, but none? The comments of the producer confirmed not a plausible reason but a firm reason, he was racist!
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry John I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one

I don't for one moment believe that Brian True- May is in any way racist

He's simply trying to reflect as accurately as he can a realistic version of life in a sleepy English village - although of course there aren't many where three murders occur in the space of a few hours Laughing
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was quoted as saying he did not use black and Asian people in the series because ‘it wouldn’t be an English village with them’.

Well the village he lives in has been quoted as a population of 9,000, includes Chinese and Indian restaurants and a school with several Asian faces, don't know if that meant teachers or kids. And reports are that his gardener is not English.

So if he wanted to represent an English village he could have looked out of his window more often Razz The more you deny his racism the more it becomes obvious. Wink
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I don't for one moment dispute what you say I'm still not sure I buy the suggestion that he is racist

I lived in Leicester for several years which is the only city in Britain where the ethnic foreign population exceeds the native British population and yet I have friends who live in a sleepy village only about ten miles away and I am sure I am right in saying there is not a single non white person living there

If that's the case within such a short distance of somewhere like Leicester I guess it would certainly be the case in other rural areas and the fact is that most ethnic minority people choose to live in large towns or cities probably because they latch on to the large populations of similar people who already live in such places which is quite natural in the circumstances

As far as I am concerned this whole thing is yet another example of the 'politically correct' brigade trying to create a problem using the excuse of alleged racism when in reality there is not a problem and I think it's sad to see people jumping on what to me is a very dubious bandwagon Sad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:

As far as I am concerned this whole thing is yet another example of the 'politically correct' brigade trying to create a problem using the excuse of alleged racism when in reality there is not a problem and I think it's sad to see people jumping on what to me is a very dubious bandwagon Sad


Ah yes you're right it is a bandwagon being jumped upon, and likely jumped upon only by white people. Of course that might be because no non-white people ever watch that TV show Laughing
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'bandwagon' is being jumped upon not generally by black or other non European residents of Britain but rather by certain liberal white dogooders who seem to be constantly on 'racism' patrol looking how they can stir up racial tension in even the most innocent of situations such as a long running much loved TV series

And John on what evidence do you base your assertion that non white people do not watch the show?

The fact is that lots of white people watch 'Eastenders' where you expect to see a fair proportion of black characters quite simply because it is set in East London where there is a high proportion of non white residents but in a series set in a English rural country village if the producer is to give an accurate portrayal of the type of life there inevitably there are going to be few if any non white faces in evidence

It's horses for courses as they say and if the 'politically correct' brigade don't like MM then nobody is forcing them to watch the series and they have no right to destroy the thing for everybody else Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
And John on what evidence do you base your assertion that non white people do not watch the show?


I'm from a mixed race family and we never watch it Smile

But we watch some of the grittier big city cop shows. As you say, we can identify more with that. Mrs W likes Eastenders, I can't stand it. She also likes Emmerdale which has a few Asian characters.

Yeah, as you can imagine, we get well pissed off with the (mainly white) PC brigade for ever supposedly looking out for discrimination etc in grandchild's school etc. They really pee me off. If there's a battle to fight we'll do so without silly dogooders Mad
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Number Six



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 409
Location: In the village

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my Sunday paper Midsomer is about to feature it's first mixed race character. Be interesting to see the reaction.

This started me thinking. I live in a (what we call a village) between Brighton and Worthing. The only non white person I can remember seeing is the Chemist (really). The thing is, it never occurred to me to een think about it until the Midsomer arguement resurrected itself.
_________________
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18251
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true Number Six. The majority of people wouldn't think about it unless as you say it's brought up by some so called 'do gooder'.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number Six wrote:
According to my Sunday paper Midsomer is about to feature it's first mixed race character. Be interesting to see the reaction.

This started me thinking. I live in a (what we call a village) between Brighton and Worthing. The only non white person I can remember seeing is the Chemist (really). The thing is, it never occurred to me to een think about it until the Midsomer arguement resurrected itself.


Yes No 6 ,

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/first--non-white--lead-character-for-midsomer-murders.html

That's why the thread was resurrected on Thursday Rolling Eyes Wink

What you say is true but the producer's response to the critics only flamed the issue, with people thinking maybe he is racist by the way he responded ( he described the show as the 'last bastion of Englishness').

Ha ha, an asian with a name like Natalie Mendoza, that will wind up Mr True-May, Ha ha
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any problem with the producer describing the show as the 'Last Bastion of Englishness'

He's merely expressing his opinion to which he is entitled just like the rest of us are entitled to our own opinions and I think lots of people agree with him

It's nothing to do with race or culture - it's simply a matter of what is required to portray an accurate picture of English village life as it really is as against how the liberal doogooders would like it to be

The introduction of ethnic minority characters is exactly the same as if the producer choose to include a supermarket in the programme - neither represent a realistic view of what happens in the real world Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but it IS about race and culture. The producer has implied that he wanted to represent an English village with just English people, devoid of any other culture. It was a deliberate policy. Yes there may be villages like that, there are many not like that. The producer made his choice, and it was his intention to avoid any non-English culture or persona.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't a 'choice' to be made John

The series had quite happily plodded along for upwards of ten years or more without any problems when some bright spark suddenly had the thought

'Oh dear, this is not politically correct, no non white characters, how terrible,we could be in trouble here with the race police'

and started banging on about an issue which ,as Helen said,had simply never even occured to most people thus creating a problem purely for its own sake

If the producer deems it desirable to continue the series without non white characters that is his choice just like it is Bob Shennan's choice to lumber us with the likes of Chris Evans and Alan Carr who most of us on here cannot abide and often complain about

The fact is just as I have the choice not to listen to R2 shows I dislike people have a choice not to watch Midsomer Murders and if they don't like it then don't watch it Rolling Eyes

In actual fact I don't tend to watch new episodes of the series anyway which has nothing to do with the introduction of biracial characters but rather because I don't think it's the same without John Nettles as Tom Barnaby and the characters who made up his family but I'm not moaning - after all on Sky there are around 200 other channels available
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
essexlady



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 348
Location: Essex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I live in a village in rural Essex and at my grand-daughter's school there are quite a few children of non-white ethnicity - Asian, Turkish, Thai and Nigerian amongst others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18251
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
In actual fact I don't tend to watch new episodes of the series anyway which has nothing to do with the introduction of biracial characters but rather because I don't think it's the same without John Nettles as Tom Barnaby and the characters who made up his family.


Totally agree with you there Ruddles, it's a very poor relation to what it was before John Nettles left.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen - one of the few advantages I find about getting older is that for some things (especially recent ones) my memory is not as good as it was a few years ago so I can enjoy a lot of the older episodes of MM without remembering the outcome or who the killer is Laughing

Funny though - I can usually remember things from before around 2000 even going back to my early childhood perfectly Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Helen - one of the few advantages I find about getting older is that for some things (especially recent ones) my memory is not as good as it was a few years ago so I can enjoy a lot of the older episodes of MM without remembering the outcome or who the killer is Laughing

Funny though - I can usually remember things from before around 2000 even going back to my early childhood perfectly Smile


I have the same problem, actually maybe it's not a 'problem' - I used to be an avid reader of Agatha Christie books, during summer months between uni with no summer job, I used to borrow one Agatha Christe a week from the library. Looking through titles now I can't remember the plots nor the guity persons so I reckon when I get really bored I'm going to start reading her books again Very Happy
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blondehedgehog



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 286
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this thread so I thought I would add my 10 penny worth.....

I have watched M. M since the very first one. It is fantasy. OTT with the murders, but it reminded me of the village in England my parents brought me when I was nine years old. (till 9, I lived in Scotland)
The people and the buildings the customs, all took me back to my young days. I did not notice that there were no coloured faces...black brown or what ever......there were none in the village until I was about 15 years old. Then a childrens home opened and some Afro/ Carribbean children arrived.
I still enjoy MM even with a change of actor, and I object to all the PC people who insist there must be a 'token' coloured face in TV and radio productions.

I am not a racist either, I have Indonesian and Chinese daughters in law and have good relationships with them and the extended families that they have brought with them.

Long live MM.................
_________________
I like hedgehog crisps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18251
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched last nights and kept thinking about this thread.............

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com