R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Chris Evans Breakfast Show (TCEBS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Gripes about Shows and Music on Radio 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quietly confident that it will not be good news for his listening figures come the next RAJARS, and the same will apply for viewing figures on the One Show.

Of course it'll make no odds, as the BBC worship him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Graham B, Vanessa Feltz has gone up in your estimation because she damaged Chris Evans car?
Wow, really nice of you that, congratulations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3451
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
I'm quietly confident that it will not be good news for his listening figures come the next RAJARS, and the same will apply for viewing figures on the One Show.

Actually, The One Show is getting some of it's best-ever figures at moment...

...except on Friday, which has the lowest ratings and lowest shares of the week (which means more viewers are ignoring it on Fridays than Monday to Thursdays)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
kengeo wrote:
I'm quietly confident that it will not be good news for his listening figures come the next RAJARS, and the same will apply for viewing figures on the One Show.

Actually, The One Show is getting some of it's best-ever figures at moment...

...except on Friday, which has the lowest ratings and lowest shares of the week (which means more viewers are ignoring it on Fridays than Monday to Thursdays)


That's very good news (on both counts!). If Fridays are the worst, perhaps at least one of the idiots running BBC One will start to see sense and dump Mr. Gobby. He's made the Friday edition avoidable.

Matt Baker has now been selected as regular co-presenter for Mon-Thurs and he's much, much better in the job. I still can't for the life of me work out why Fridays need a different presenter.
Back to top
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
I still can't for the life of me work out why Fridays need a different presenter.


I worked it out along time ago, Evans demanded it.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there is no report or proof of that, John.

The story at the time, reported by The Guardian, was that the BBC wanted a more lively, showbiz-oriented show for the Friday edition, in an attempt to improve the audience figures, which always have lagged the rest of the week.

It emerged last autumn that BBC executives wanted Evans to take over from Chiles on Fridays on the modern-day version of Nationwide.

The proposal also included giving the hour-long Friday episodes more of an entertainment focus Ė echoing Evans' previous popularity on TFI Friday and starting the weekend on BBC1 "with a bang".


Not even the Mail suggested that Evans had demanded it.

Like Colin, I fail to see why the Friday edition has to be different and have a different presenter. Evans certainly doesn't look at ease in it.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there's no proof, but channel controllers socialise with their "star turns" and I can't believe that Evans didn't hint - strongly - that a gig on The One Show would suit him very nicely, thank you very much, whether or not it got Chiles' back up. He obviously doesn't care about other people and appears to be more than willing to stab people in the back for the sake of his TV career.

The fact that Evans looks so uneasy in the role indicates (to me, at least) that he really does want to be loved by everyone and will do anything to bring this about. His body language on the show tells me all I want to know - as does the body language of his co-host and studio guests. I get the feeling that they really would prefer it if he weren't there hogging the limelight.
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John W, he made a guest appearance on the One Show on a Friday, I think at the back end of 2008. He made a big fuss about it at the time, even presenting the end of his then Drivetime Show from the back of a motorcycle en route to the One Show studio. I now get the feeling that it was already a done deal, just waiting for Chiles' contract to come up for renewal.

I wasn't that surprised when it was announced, but I'm sure the original plan was for an hour show, why the change of mind by the BBC?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fred



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. Viewing figures for the One Show - I think you'll find that Friday's viewing figures are more or less the same as the rest of the week.

There are some weeks where Friday gets lower viewing figures than the rest of the week, but the same can be said for the shows on Monday to Thursday.
_________________
Fred Hart
Student & Broadcaster
Website: http://www.fred-hart.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
he made a guest appearance on the One Show on a Friday, I think at the back end of 2008. He made a big fuss about it at the time, even presenting the end of his then Drivetime Show from the back of a motorcycle en route to the One Show studio.


Gosh, I don't remember all that, thanks for that kengeo



<files information in the Evans folder...>
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3451
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Re. Viewing figures for the One Show - I think you'll find that Friday's viewing figures are more or less the same as the rest of the week.

There are some weeks where Friday gets lower viewing figures than the rest of the week, but the same can be said for the shows on Monday to Thursday.


The overnights for this month, including shares in brackets where I've got them.

Monday 10th January: 5.03m (21.7%)
Wednesday 12th January: 4.9m (21.5%)
Thursday 13th January: 5.15m
Friday 14th January: 4.82m

Monday 17th January: 5.1m (22.1%)
Tuesday 18th January: 4.98m (22.5%)
Thursday 20th January: 5.07m (23.1%)
Friday 21st January: 4.30m (19.5%)

Monday 24th January: 4.9m (21.6%)
Tuesday 25th January: 4.92m (22.5%)
Wednesday 26th January: 4.4m 20.0%
Thursday 27th January: 4.71m (21.6%)
Friday 28th January: 4.37m (19.8%)

Even though last Wednesday rated as low as Friday, it got a better share. Regarding 14th January, I'm not sure Evans presented it that day. Wasn't he on holiday?


Last edited by Ian Robinson on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Ian, do you have any historical figures, BC (before Chris)?

ie In Adrian & Christine's day?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3451
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have time to dig too deeply, but here's the equivalent week last year:

Monday 25th January 2010: 5.51 (23.8%)
Tuesday 26th January 2010: 5.28
Wednesday 27th January: 4.72 (21%)
Thursday 28th January: 5.26
Friday 29th January: 4.86 (21.8%)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Minx



Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 4088
Location: France/Spain/Peterborough/Tenerife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-uh, I think the ginger one has discovered global warming. You see, this erudition is what I really miss first thing in the morning..... Rolling Eyes

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100073695/what-bbc-radio-2s-chris-evans-thinks-about-global-warming/
_________________
Minx

To err is human, to forgive - canine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blondehedgehog



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 286
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a lot of trouble finding an alternative to radio 2 in the morning. In fact my mornings have not been good for the past year....except when a 'stand in' broadcasts.....BUT

To-day I stumbled on Smooth radio and was woken up gently. Dont get me wrong I have never been a fan of Simon Bates....but he woke me gently...


_________________
I like hedgehog crisps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18490
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Minx Wink

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minx wrote:
Uh-uh, I think the ginger one has discovered global warming. You see, this erudition is what I really miss first thing in the morning..... Rolling Eyes

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100073695/what-bbc-radio-2s-chris-evans-thinks-about-global-warming/


I can remember that show. It was a good one. The problem with global warming is that the scientists changed the way they analyse global tempretures. They used to use tree ring data ( don't ask me how that works) from all over the world but from the 60s onward they used tempreture readings from thermometers all over the world. ( makes sense)
If they plot the global tempretures using only tree ring data, up to today's date, the tempreture result is pretty constant. If they use the thermometer readings, it is going up. So in conclusion, tree ring data isn't a good way to measure the tempreture of the earth- and there isn't enough historical thermometer data to give a trend over many hundereds of years or indeed thousands of years - so basically the scientists are stuffed. They don't know if global tempretures are rising faster than Chris Evans' ratings or if this is just a little blip that will go unnoticed in the tree ring data of the future or if we are just about to get so hot we will melt. They're just guessing cos they don't have the data to do anything else.

It's all about electric cars. It's no great surprise, that the very year we have mass market electric cars available at prices similar to petrol cars that petrol is more expensive than it has ever been and there's talk of limiting the amount we can buy in one go. It's not Rocket Science.
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minx wrote:
Uh-uh, I think the ginger one has discovered global warming. You see, this erudition is what I really miss first thing in the morning..... Rolling Eyes

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100073695/what-bbc-radio-2s-chris-evans-thinks-about-global-warming/


Thanks for the link, don't know how I missed that. The comments are interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
Thanks for the link, don't know how I missed that.


Well you'd have to pretty sad to go searching for articles about someone you don't like, perhaps that's why you missed it? Question
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
kengeo wrote:
Thanks for the link, don't know how I missed that.


Well you'd have to pretty sad to go searching for articles about someone you don't like, perhaps that's why you missed it? Question


But I am interested in what people are saying about global warming, come on keep up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global warming! The scientists still donít know who killed Schrodingerís cat.
Back to top
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to read about it. It's quite simple - it's the cause of all our problems, and everything we all do has caused it.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
You don't need to read about it. It's quite simple - it's the cause of all our problems, and everything we all do has caused it.


Very true, and as one of the comments states, its bit hypocritical of Evans with his sudden concern, when in reality he is one of the biggest petrolheads going, with a fleet of powerful, and no doubt very polluting supercars.

At least Wogan would tell it as it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
RockitRon wrote:
You don't need to read about it. It's quite simple - it's the cause of all our problems, and everything we all do has caused it.


Very true, and as one of the comments states, its bit hypocritical of Evans with his sudden concern, when in reality he is one of the biggest petrolheads going, with a fleet of powerful, and no doubt very polluting supercars.

At least Wogan would tell it as it is.


Chris has sold most of his Ferraris... keep up!
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea to buy one for £12m
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One may be a fleet for the Royal Navy but it isn't for the rest of us.
Back to top
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
You don't need to read about it. It's quite simple - it's the cause of all our problems, and everything we all do has caused it.


I'm not so sure.

We had global (or northern hemisphere) warming at the end of the last ice age (and previous ice ages) and I KNOW humans didn't cause the warmings then

So it could be just the same natural cycle again as caused the other warmings
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
oldgreymare



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 37
Location: Cambridge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blondehedgehog wrote:
I have had a lot of trouble finding an alternative to radio 2 in the morning. In fact my mornings have not been good for the past year....except when a 'stand in' broadcasts.....BUT

To-day I stumbled on Smooth radio and was woken up gently. Dont get me wrong I have never been a fan of Simon Bates....but he woke me gently...



I agree with Blondehedgehog and Helen May. Smooth is proving a e "new home" for me in the mornings, the music is excellent and Simon Bates is very professional, no sycophants, no me me me, no shouting just a good classic format of a single voice and music. Only problem for me is my car commute is back to FM - Radio 4 and Classic FM for the journey and DAB Smooth back on in the office. As with others on this board I am not retuning back to Ken, as I just forget .... another lost listener. Rajars will be interesting to see how many new listeners they have gained following Simon Bates move.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
I'm quietly confident that it will not be good news for his listening figures come the next RAJARS, and the same will apply for viewing figures on the One Show.

Of course it'll make no odds, as the BBC worship him.


Well they're in:-
"Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans remained the most popular breakfast host, with an audience of 8.72 million listeners, up 310,000 on the previous quarter, compared to the 7.45 million who tuned into his Radio 1 rival Chris Moyles each week, up from 7.1 million in the previous three months."
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that just proves there are 15.73 million people (approx 25% of the uk population) with no taste Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blondehedgehog



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 286
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
Well that just proves there are 15.73 million people (approx 25% of the uk population) with no taste Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes



TRUE

But the 15.73 don't listen for the whole show.....so I don't understand how they get to those figures
_________________
I like hedgehog crisps


Last edited by Blondehedgehog on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the two Chris' are typical representatives of their 15 million audience, the tragedy becomes all too apparent.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that there are a hell of a lot of people who are:

a) Undemanding

b) Lazy

c) Stupid

And you only need to meet one of those criteria in order to 'enjoy' Chris on R1 or the other Chris on R2.

I just wish that the populace were far more demanding regarding entertaintment (TV and radio) instead of settling for any of cobblers that was dished up to them.

As for Radio 2, we should be demanding high quality shows (like Radcliffe & Maconie, Bob Harris, etc) and not settling for the low brow garbage that Bob 'dumbed down' Shennan tries to feed us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barty wrote:
The problem is that there are a hell of a lot of people who are:

a) Undemanding

b) Lazy

c) Stupid


Precisely. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, statistics can tell us everything and they can also tell us nothing. Just look at the number of people who fill their shopping trollies with absolute crap in any of the large supermarkets. White sliced bread or fat-saturated procesed foods might sell in large quantities, but..............
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Barty wrote:
The problem is that there are a hell of a lot of people who are:

a) Undemanding

b) Lazy

c) Stupid


Precisely. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, statistics can tell us everything and they can also tell us nothing. Just look at the number of people who fill their shopping trollies with absolute crap in any of the large supermarkets. White sliced bread or fat-saturated procesed foods might sell in large quantities, but..............


Good analogy, and as we know figures can be manipulated to reflect a desired effect , ie increasing a show by five hours a week, to show a rise in listenership and then claim what a success it has been.

Still it looks like Radio 4 is going the same way as 2 and 5Live, soon Today will be presented by the likes of Peter Andre, and Womans Hour by the 'nations sweetheart' (pah!) Cheryl Cole
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I urge, those who prefer an easier style mature breakfast show to give Smooth a go,

Ok Simon Bates may not be everyone's cup of tea, look beyond the ad's and the disadvantage that its on DAB, but Simon is an old pro and the music choice is good, with none of the verbal diarrhoea of Evans.

Today's Golden Hour was a good 'un 1983 & 1979, with some tracks that were not the old standards that are normally played for the given years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
I urge, those who prefer an easier style mature breakfast show to give Smooth a go,

Ok Simon Bates may not be everyone's cup of tea, look beyond the ad's and the disadvantage that its on DAB, but Simon is an old pro and the music choice is good, with none of the verbal diarrhoea of Evans.

Today's Golden Hour was a good 'un 1983 & 1979, with some tracks that were not the old standards that are normally played for the given years.


Thatís like going to St James Park in Newcastle on a match day, standing on the pitch at half time and saying Ė for those of you who like a quiet game with fewer goals and fewer things to sing about, I urge you, in the strongest possible terms to watch football at the Stadium of Light.
Back to top
TrickyTaylors



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Glos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criticising Chris Evans is sometimes like shooting fish in a barrel, but if he's going to set himself up, then who am I to let the opportunity go?

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, he praises the quality of Brian Cox and his "Wonders of the Universe"programme. Then, without a hint of irony, he says

"The thing I fail to understand most, however, is why a billion people don't watch Prof Brian's show every time it's on. Do some people really think watching celebrities falling over on an ice rink and then being ridiculed for doing so is why the Big Bang put us all here in the first place".

So, breaking news - quality broadcasting doesn't always translate into ratings. It may be news to R2 that the opposite applies equally.

I can't argue with his final sentence though - he really is still an idiot.
_________________
"There are more of us now......that makes us right"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Ego wrote:
Do some people really think watching celebrities falling over on an ice rink and then being ridiculed for doing so is why the Big Bang put us all here in the first place".


One could draw parallels with the quality of the rubbish he projects to the world between 6-30am and 9.30am weekdays!
Back to top
Blondehedgehog



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 286
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:


One could draw parallels with the quality of the rubbish he projects to the world between 6-30am and 9.30am weekdays!




_________________
I like hedgehog crisps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Gripes about Shows and Music on Radio 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com