R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob Shennan on Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I'd never even considered joining or posting on any forum until the changes happened on Radio 2 about a year ago particularly in respect of the breakfast show which made me so annoyed that I decided I wanted to have my say originally on the R2 Messageboards and now here

The station I loved for several years is gradually being dismantled piece by piece and I take the view that I wish to have my say whether or not certain people here think it's pointless or otherwise

I imagine many other members here feel the same


Thatís quite an interesting comment, Rudds and one which points to your central character, because what youíre really saying there, is that when things are to your liking, youíre not prepared to put any effort in to say so on a place like this. But! When things arenít to your liking, you want your voice to be heard, demand it, in fact, as a right to be heard. Iím not having a go at you because the majority of people are the same but imagine for a moment, if you will, that in the past, the majority of people had come to places like this and said wow, this programme or that programme or this presenter or that presenter is fantastic- loving it- keep it up BBC. Perhaps those things may have carried on, perhaps we are where we are because places like this are always filled with negativity, complaint- demand for change: the Radio 2 we have today, is a direct result of previous negative people just like yourself demanding change Ė so really you should celebrate. Smile
Back to top
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6891
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:


The station I loved for several years is gradually being dismantled piece by piece and I take the view that I wish to have my say whether or not certain people here think it's pointless or otherwise

I imagine many other members here feel the same


Yes, a lot of us do feel the same. I will listen to Feedback on Friday, but I don't expect Shennan will have anything to say which will give me hope for the future of Radio 2. Sad
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Thatís quite an interesting comment, Rudds and one which points to your central character, because what youíre really saying there, is that when things are to your liking, youíre not prepared to put any effort in to say so on a place like this. But! When things arenít to your liking, you want your voice to be heard, demand it, in fact, as a right to be heard. Iím not having a go at you because the majority of people are the same but imagine for a moment, if you will, that in the past, the majority of people had come to places like this and said wow, this programme or that programme or this presenter or that presenter is fantastic- loving it- keep it up BBC. Perhaps those things may have carried on, perhaps we are where we are because places like this are always filled with negativity, complaint- demand for change: the Radio 2 we have today, is a direct result of previous negative people just like yourself demanding change Ė so really you should celebrate. Smile


That's one hell of a good example of Doublespeak, Orwell would be proud.

So really its all our fault we have the R2 we have today?

What a load of rubbish! (for the want of a better word Wink)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
That's one hell of a good example of Doublespeak, Orwell would be proud.

So really its all our fault we have the R2 we have today?



Exactly! Smile Not specifically your fault but the fault of previous negatively-derived-demand for change. Itís a big success story really for negativity! Todayís negatively derived demand for change, i.e. yours and others on here, is just ahead of the curve, thatís all, but by the time , what you're asking for on here arrives, you will want something different.
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
kengeo wrote:
That's one hell of a good example of Doublespeak, Orwell would be proud.

So really its all our fault we have the R2 we have today?



Exactly! Smile Not specifically your fault but the fault of previous negatively-derived-demand for change. Itís a big success story really for negativity! Todayís negatively derived demand for change, i.e. yours and others on here, is just ahead of the curve, thatís all, but by the time , what you're asking for on here arrives, you will want something different.


Do you work in local government per chance? Your comments sound like the twaddle that the over paid bods at the town hall come out with Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
Do you work in local government per chance? Your comments sound like the twaddle that the over paid bods at the town hall come out with Wink


Gosh! No, Iíve never worked in Local Government. I did work in an environment where I had to persuade my team that we really wanted to do something that was unpleasant, dangerous and often undoable, and if we survived, would get zero credit for.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18268
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
kengeo wrote:
That's one hell of a good example of Doublespeak, Orwell would be proud.

So really its all our fault we have the R2 we have today?



Exactly! Smile Not specifically your fault but the fault of previous negatively-derived-demand for change. Itís a big success story really for negativity! Todayís negatively derived demand for change, i.e. yours and others on here, is just ahead of the curve, thatís all, but by the time , what you're asking for on here arrives, you will want something different.


I can think of one such person whose demand for change can be blamed! .......He's no longer on this forum but kept playing the same record on repeat for 7+ years on another forum that most of us used to frequent...................

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Rachel I do take your point but I think there is usually some catalyst which causes someone to post on a messageboard or on a forum and it generally happens when someone feels they have put up with enough and have reached the end of their tether over a particular issue
Rarely in my experience does anyone initially post on a board or forum to say how happy they are about something

It's a bit like the fact that generally speaking only bad news makes the news with the exception of things like the forthcoming Royal Wedding (although many would probably say that was bad news though not me) and the odd sporting triumph

Having said that I think once people join a forum most of them including me do express their pleasure if they come across something good so then things become rather more balanced although of course the person concerned is unlikely to change their view over the initial item which caused them to post on the forum in the first place

There are many examples I can quote of positive comments I have posted on here but it's human nature that people tend to remember what they perceive as negative ones and in saying that I'm not criticising anyone but just trying to get my views understood
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
ruddlescat wrote:
I'd never even considered joining or posting on any forum until the changes happened on Radio 2 about a year ago particularly in respect of the breakfast show which made me so annoyed that I decided I wanted to have my say originally on the R2 Messageboards and now here

The station I loved for several years is gradually being dismantled piece by piece and I take the view that I wish to have my say whether or not certain people here think it's pointless or otherwise

I imagine many other members here feel the same


Thatís quite an interesting comment, Rudds and one which points to your central character, because what youíre really saying there, is that when things are to your liking, youíre not prepared to put any effort in to say so on a place like this. But! When things arenít to your liking, you want your voice to be heard, demand it, in fact, as a right to be heard. Iím not having a go at you because the majority of people are the same but imagine for a moment, if you will, that in the past, the majority of people had come to places like this and said wow, this programme or that programme or this presenter or that presenter is fantastic- loving it- keep it up BBC. Perhaps those things may have carried on, perhaps we are where we are because places like this are always filled with negativity, complaint- demand for change: the Radio 2 we have today, is a direct result of previous negative people just like yourself demanding change Ė so really you should celebrate. Smile


So what you're saying, Rachel, is that we should put-up and shut-up?
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18268
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one will most definitely not put up and shut up! We pay our licence fee (before you start I know precious little of it goes to radio but they are the same trustee members who make the guidelines) and that entitles me and everyone else who feels like it to say what we want about Radio 2 or any other of the Beeb's stations should we feel like it. Maybe we should all put our coats on and call it a day on here?

I'm not listening to much radio at the moment or for long enough to say much that is good or bad about it, but I'll fight for my right to do so when I have a comment to make.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Perhaps those things may have carried on, perhaps we are where we are because places like this are always filled with negativity, complaint- demand for change: the Radio 2 we have today, is a direct result of previous negative people just like yourself demanding change Ė so really you should celebrate. Smile


Rachel, I don't feel that there's much to celebrate either. In fact, the reason there's so much negativity is that - quite frankly - there's much to be negative about where BBC Radio 2 output is concerned. Many of the station's listeners have been treated like idiots and mugs for too long, so if we merely sit back, say nothing, do nothing and "celebrate" then we're all doomed.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I've just been having a look at recent postings on the Tony Blackburn POTP thread and I think it's fair to say that there is a great deal of positivity there and in fact pretty much total unanimity

It really simply isn't true to suggest that this is a totally negative place and I would imagine the forum probably had about the same balance long before I joined

It could be argued that people who only ever see negativity in the comments of others are themselves negative people
It's like the old example of whether you see the glass as half full or half empty
Personally I appreciate constructive comments whether positive or apparently negative because if the negativity leads to change for the better then that's really positive in my view
By the way I think we've had this conversation before Confused
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ in Kent wrote:
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.

Isn't there a former Egyptian president at a loose end right now?!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we could persuade Bob Shennan to go and run Egypt?

I'd definitely vote for that Very Happy
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
PJ in Kent wrote:
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.

Isn't there a former Egyptian president at a loose end right now?!


"Ah, hello Mr Mubarak- P.J. here. Got a little number in London going if you fancy it. Involves getting up millions of people's noses and ignoring the will of the same folks- should be right up your street. We've heard you've decades of experience and sound just the chappy we're looking for"
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ in Kent wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
PJ in Kent wrote:
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.

Isn't there a former Egyptian president at a loose end right now?!


"Ah, hello Mr Mubarak- P.J. here. Got a little number in London going if you fancy it. Involves getting up millions of people's noses and ignoring the will of the same folks- should be right up your street. We've heard you've decades of experience and sound just the chappy we're looking for"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ in Kent wrote:

So what you're saying, Rachel, is that we should put-up and shut-up?
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.


No Iím not saying put up or shut up, PJ, Iím not saying anything other than, if you eliminate all of those things we donít like, we will end with liking nothing but what if we don't like that?
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
No Iím not saying put up or shut up, PJ, Iím not saying anything other than, if you eliminate all of those things we donít like, we will end with liking nothing but what if we don't like that?


There are lots of things I don't like (current Radio 2 programming policy, the excruciating sound of over-exercised Evans' gob, etc etc) but there are plenty more things I do like - such as radio presenters who don't treat me like an unthinking moron!

Cool
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok- you guys, imagine (and in the words of John Lennon- itís easy if you try) that there are two identical Planet Earths- letís call them planet A and planet B for simplicity. Got it? Yes. Easy. See, he was right.

So there you are on Planet A and the big guy in the sky ( if there is one) says to everyone on Planet A, before you go to bed tonight, write a list of everything you donít like , and when you wake in the morning, all of those things will be gone.

And on Planet B, same deal with one difference. On Planet B you have to write a list of all the things you do like, and in the morning, they will still be there.

Now is the hard bit:

Would you and I exist on Planet A in the morning? Indeed, would Planet A exist?
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Would you and I exist on Planet A in the morning? Indeed, would Planet A exist?


I'd rather stay on planet earth and continue not to put up with other people's incompetence.

Cool
Back to top
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
PJ in Kent wrote:

So what you're saying, Rachel, is that we should put-up and shut-up?
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.


No Iím not saying put up or shut up, PJ, Iím not saying anything other than, if you eliminate all of those things we donít like, we will end with liking nothing but what if we don't like that?


If we eliminate the things we don't like we'll end up liking nothing???
Sorry Rachel, but that makes no sense.
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5940

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ in Kent wrote:
Rachel wrote:
PJ in Kent wrote:

So what you're saying, Rachel, is that we should put-up and shut-up?
I'll give Robert Mugabe a call- I'm sure he'd like to add Controller, BBC Radio 2 to his cv.


No Iím not saying put up or shut up, PJ, Iím not saying anything other than, if you eliminate all of those things we donít like, we will end with liking nothing but what if we don't like that?


If we eliminate the things we don't like we'll end up liking nothing???
Sorry Rachel, but that makes no sense.
I thought that was just me... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thewelshboycott



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: There's more to life than Radio 2 Reply with quote

Everyone clearly has their likes and dislikes on Radio 2, a quick read of the posts here shows that.

But the beauty of the internet today, is that you can find other things to listen to. There are dozens of regional BBC stations on the iPlayer online, with loads of specialist music programmes.

Then there's the commercial sector and digital radio as well.

A few years ago, you had the basic radio stations and that was it.

Listen to those shows you still like on Radio 2 (and be thankful!) and just tune to something else when (Evans, Wright, insert as applicable) is on.

It isn't Rolling Eyes "our BBC" and it certainly isn't Rolling Eyes "our Radio 2" , whatever they tell us, we are simply the ones who pay for it through the licence fee.

We pay other taxes, but have naff all say in what the government does, so why should this be any different?
_________________
BBC 6 Music. Like Radio 2, but on a good day!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: There's more to life than Radio 2 Reply with quote

thewelshboycott wrote:
We pay other taxes, but have naff all say in what the government does, so why should this be any different?


Actually, given that we are all represented in Parliament by our respective MPs, we have more say in the way we're governed than we have in the manner in which the BBC is run.
Back to top
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: There's more to life than Radio 2 Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
thewelshboycott wrote:
We pay other taxes, but have naff all say in what the government does, so why should this be any different?


Actually, given that we are all represented in Parliament by our respective MPs, we have more say in the way we're governed than we have in the manner in which the BBC is run.


Exactly- we have no control over who runs the BBC, nor how it's run, and no say over how the money we MUST pay is spent
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am appalled that we're losing Radcliffe and Maconie, but I'm also delighte that Jo Whiley is joining Radio 2. I've always admired her and it makes a change to hear more female voices on the network.

It's a shame Rad & Mac are moving to 6 Music. I don't see why they couldn't have been moved to a late-night slot i.e. 11pm - 1am.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be telling us that Shennan needs to clear out the remainder of the so-called "coffin-dodgers" next!

Wink
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shennan is marginalising specialist programming despite warnings from the BBC Trust. Jo Whiley's new show will air from 8.00 - 9.30pm, so it makes me wonder whether a new show will be introduced between 9.30 - 11.00pm. If this is the case then I hope it's not wall to wall pop music.

Jarvis Cocker would be ideal hosting a specialist show on the network.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
Jarvis Cocker would be ideal hosting a specialist show on the network.


He has to get rid of the last of the coffin dodgers first, though, does he not?
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who might they be then?
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
Who might they be then?


Not so sure myself, but it's something that has been discussed here and elsewhere in the dim, distant, past.
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shennan is not allowed to axe specialist programming unless he can justify its removal.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
Shennan is not allowed to axe specialist programming unless he can justify its removal.


I'm sure he'll find a way to get shot of it all.
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has to get approval from the BBC Trust. Radio 2 has already been told to make good use of the 7.00pm weeknight slots. Axing more specialist programming will cause an outcry.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
He has to get approval from the BBC Trust. Radio 2 has already been told to make good use of the 7.00pm weeknight slots. Axing more specialist programming will cause an outcry.


We've had outcries before and nobody gives a hoot. Get rid of the coffin-dodgers now, that's what I say! We want wall-to-wall gibberish and gabblers!
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's outcries and there's outcries. People complain about the presence of Chris Evans, but he is a success on Radio 2. However, axing specialist programming is an entirely different matter.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
There's outcries and there's outcries. People complain about the presence of Chris Evans, but he is a success on Radio 2. However, axing specialist programming is an entirely different matter.


Well, no. I'd say that axing the Insufferable One is a priority. Followed by the gabbler. And then the "Friday Night and Saturday Night" crowd, as they used to be known back in the Olden Days.
Back to top
Matthew Campbell
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the Friday and Saturday night crowd?
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Campbell wrote:
Who are the Friday and Saturday night crowd?


It's just something I recall from the history books. It doesn't matter. In fact, the mere thought of it gives me nightmares and I wish I hadn't raised the matter.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com