R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zoe's Disaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Angus McCoatup



Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 221
Location: , Location, Location

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Zoe's Disaster Reply with quote

Well Zoe Ball managed to put R2 off air today. I wouldn't mind betting she was bouncing round the studio like an excitable puppy and knocked a glass of water over the decks.........

Just going off on a tangent slightly, it doesn't seem to matter who's on twixt 9:30 and 12 as you can always tell when Mr Bones is in charge..... Rolling Eyes

Anyways, wouldn't it be nice if they could fill Ken's seat with someone of equal or similar calibre ie:

Someone who knows something about music.

Someone who can handle Popmaster without getting excited when the contestant is heading for a good score/full house.

Someone who doesn't keep BANGING ON ABOUT THEIR FAMILY ALL THE TIME!!!!

Now, whatever happened to Mark Goodier.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark was sadly overlooked by the BBC and now has a daily show on Smooth Radio between 10am and 1pm which I regularly listen to when Ken Bruce is away

However this week Mark is also away so Lynn Parsons is covering and she is yet another presenter who should have been given a full time role on Radio 2 instead of the likes of Feltz Evans and Ball

This week I have not even listened to Radio 2 before 5pm and believe me the way things are going it could become a habit
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1109
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus: I agree. No matter who presents the show, the music is absolute dross, all that gay 70s disco and cheesy ballads.
I do like Zoe though. She's cheerful, bubbly and self effacing, even though she does tend to put the wrong CDs on and get the score wrong on Popmaster and, today, closing down the whole network.
I guess that's part of her charm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoe's Disaster Reply with quote

Angus McCoatup wrote:
Well Zoe Ball managed to put R2 off air today. I wouldn't mind betting she was bouncing round the studio like an excitable puppy and knocked a glass of water over the decks..........


I thought it was the best 15 minutes on R2 today! Didn't Charles Nove take charge?

Have to agree about Mark Goodyear, back in '06 he was the regular stand in for Ken and a great job he made of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoe's Disaster Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
Have to agree about Mark Goodyear, back in '06 he was the regular stand in for Ken and a great job he made of it.

Not just Ken's show. He quite regularly did Drivetime & Richard Allinson's saturday (afternoon) show as well.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlepieces



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1098
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like lyn but the playlist is awful at smooth
_________________
I found out how you can hurt an insect.It's the bees knees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emergency tape kicked in with the voice of Alan Dedicot. It was nothing to do with Zoe why Radio 2 dropped off air. Zoe doesn't run the desk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, tricky one: Zoe Ball or Deadly? Rolling Eyes This is why I am having a Radio 2 -free week. Hurry back Ken!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
The emergency tape kicked in with the voice of Alan Dedicot.


What's a "tape", Mark?
Back to top
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have visions of an old reel-to-reel!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
I have visions of an old reel-to-reel!


Funnily enough, back in the old days that's what it used to be - a rack-mounted Revox machine in the ops room which was triggered by silence of more than 10 seconds or something like that!

I always remember a stand-by tape containing Keith Skues' voice and the same few songs playing whenever the Radio One Roadshow feed dropped back in the 70s.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying littlepieces and up to a point I can agree with you but the point is when I switch my radio on I want someone who can entertain me in an intelligent way which I am getting less and less from Radio 2 and especially this school holiday week

After all we can all listen to the best music around if we want to because we simply stick our own CD collections on and Bob's your Uncle

Radio has to be something more than just people playing music and bearing in mind that most of this week's Radio 2 presenters know very little about music generally I can't see much point in tuning in
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 17855
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
I have visions of an old reel-to-reel!


Funnily enough, back in the old days that's what it used to be - a rack-mounted Revox machine in the ops room which was triggered by silence of more than 10 seconds or something like that!


There were 2 such machines in the studio that JV used the first time I went to the show, before they moved to Western house. I recall him talking about reel to reel recorders with ken just before JV moved the new studios. There was still a turntable in there as well.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005


Last edited by Helen May on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
There were 2 such machines in the studio that JV used the first time I went to the show, before the moved to Western house. I recall him talking about reel to reel recorders with ken just before JV moved the new studios. There was still a turntable in there as well.


The studio tape machines would be Studers - lovely machines built to BBC engineering spec that didn't make a sound when operated. You can pick them up quite cheaply now on eBay, and they're bought largely by people undertaking professional-standard digitising services (as I do for video).

I recently acquired a pallet-load of "redundant studio equipment" from the BBC for a song....
Back to top
Gibbo



Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 117
Location: Wirral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


In that case, they'd be playing utterly depressing and miserable music on all channels if that were the case - like they did the day Diana copped it.
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zoe's Disaster Reply with quote

Angus McCoatup wrote:
Now, whatever happened to Mark Goodier.....


Who cares ? Rolling Eyes

Haste ye back Ken Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


or the Beckhams Laughing

They are the new 'royalty' and are going to the wedding Rolling Eyes and get mentioned in all the bulletins including buying pie and peas Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Captain Wogan used to say often enough, "no one died". Smile
Back to top
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
As Captain Wogan used to say often enough, "no one died". Smile


And didn't the sainted Lord Wogan once blow up a desk by spilling his coffee all over it?

Accidents happen- no need for a witch hunt because you don't like the presenter.
And as Mark stated, I don't believe Zoe drives her own desk so it was unlikely to have been her that caused the problem.
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wasn't a fault that occurred in the studio either - it could have been anywhere in the chain. If there was a failure of the computer system that drives all the studios and playout chain then that could bring the whole lot down. Given the duration that the station was off air that's the more likely reason.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


In that case, they'd be playing utterly depressing and miserable music on all channels if that were the case - like they did the day Diana copped it.


I remember the Queen mother died whilst Capital Radio were in the middle of Help A London Child on the Saturday. They did continue on the Monday. Thats a total different situation.

The emergency automated system, feeds are monitored by transmission control (which is elsewhere in the BBC) and required someone to react to the silence, flick the switches and press play?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


In that case, they'd be playing utterly depressing and miserable music on all channels if that were the case - like they did the day Diana copped it.


I remember the Queen mother died whilst Capital Radio were in the middle of Help A London Child on the Saturday. They did continue on the Monday. Thats a total different situation.

I remember that day too. I was listening to Richard Allinson's saturday afternoon show which was abruptly halted and an emergency programme went out. The webcam suddenly showed an empty RA studio.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
The emergency automated system, feeds are monitored by transmission control (which is elsewhere in the BBC)...


Or even at Red Bee?
Back to top
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish Gary Bones would take a holiday too when Ken is off.
I can actually tell when Ken's show is on without looking at the clock at work, just by the repetitiveness and lack of different styles of music being played.
Re Zoe, I know she whitters a bit and is not the worlds greatest muso but like Schizoid I do find her a warm and friendly person which is OK with me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angus McCoatup



Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 221
Location: , Location, Location

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with you re Gary Bones.

I feel desperately sorry for Ken having to play the dross that's put in front of him sometimes.



Zoe did keep saying that she "broke the BBC" which is why I referred to the possibility of a glass of water being knocked all over the equipment.

I've nothing against the girl personally but it is worrying that she may be being groomed for a regular daytime slot or even Ken's possible future replacement.

Mind you, if history is anything to go by, just because someone deps on a regular basis it doesn't mean they'll eventually get the full time job. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus I really hope you're right about that
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1109
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that just about everyone agrees that the music on Ken Bruce's show is absolute dross. So why does he not simply put his foot down and say 'I'm not playing this crap'? Surely presenters have SOME say over what is played.
I guess he doesn't want to do anything controversial, with retirement and huge pension looming (not that he's ever said or done anything controversial anyway).

That said, the music wasn't too bad today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 17855
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV spilled a glass of water over the desk once and that put the studio out. They had to quickly swap studios and I don't think it was back in time for Drivetime that day. It was in JW days and Sally was explaining what had happened.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3386
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoidman wrote:
It seems that just about everyone agrees that the music on Ken Bruce's show is absolute dross. So why does he not simply put his foot down and say 'I'm not playing this crap'? Surely presenters have SOME say over what is played.
I guess he doesn't want to do anything controversial, with retirement and huge pension looming (not that he's ever said or done anything controversial anyway).

We don't know those conversations haven't taken place, but ultimately he's employed by Radio 2 to play the music Radio 2 want him to play. Luckily, Radio 2 also employ him to present Friday Night Is Music Night on regular occasions too.

That said, he does manage to slip some of his own stuff in now and then, like when he played "Blazing Saddles" the other week after referencing it in a chat with Lyn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention 'Santa's a Scotsman' fairly regularly during the two weeks before Christmas Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
JV spilled a glass of water over the desk once and that put the studio out. They had to quickly swap studios and I don't think it was back in time for Drivetime that day. It was in JW days and Sally was explaining what had happened.

H

Isn't there a third studio option, the one that Steve Wright is supposed to use and is also used to record some of the non-live specialist shows?
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:

Isn't there a third studio option, the one that Steve Wright is supposed to use and is also used to record some of the non-live specialist shows?


It's the Production Studio. It's not strictly a self-drive studio but is handy as a backup.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoidman wrote:
It seems that just about everyone agrees that the music on Ken Bruce's show is absolute dross. So why does he not simply put his foot down and say 'I'm not playing this crap'? Surely presenters have SOME say over what is played.
I guess he doesn't want to do anything controversial, with retirement and huge pension looming (not that he's ever said or done anything controversial anyway).

That said, the music wasn't too bad today.


Itís always an emotive subject, music. What is dross music? Whatever it is and however it sounds to us as individuals, someone liked it enough to perform it, someone liked it enough to record it, so it follows that thereíll be DJs/producers who like it enough to play it and thereíll be listeners somewhere who like it enough to listen to it. Music is music! Itís good if you like it, if you don't, that doesn't make it dross.
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
......Music is music! Itís good if you like it, if you don't, that doesn't make it dross.


Some music is better than other music, and some of the stuff Ken presumably has to play, chosen by others, is awful music Rolling Eyes

A pity really because ken used to have some tracks you were unlikely to hear elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Rachel wrote:
......Music is music! Itís good if you like it, if you don't, that doesn't make it dross.


Some music is better than other music


That depends on what YOU like. I could listen to Jazz all day, I could listen to Punk all day, some people don't like either of those, I can't understand why?! Smile
Back to top
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show how much Ms Ball's mouth gabbles on and completely bypasses her brain ......... I happened to be driving somewhere this morning and briefly put the radio on. It was Popmaster and she was gabbling with the guest.

Tiowards the end of the chat, she says to the guy on the phone:

"And you're visually impaired? Brilliant!"


then launches into the quiz.

Got your foot in your mouth again eh Zoe?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibbo



Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 117
Location: Wirral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


In that case, they'd be playing utterly depressing and miserable music on all channels if that were the case - like they did the day Diana copped it.


I remember the Queen mother died whilst Capital Radio were in the middle of Help A London Child on the Saturday. They did continue on the Monday. Thats a total different situation.

I remember that day too. I was listening to Richard Allinson's saturday afternoon show which was abruptly halted and an emergency programme went out. The webcam suddenly showed an empty RA studio.


I was watching a rather funny episode of Steptoe and Son on BBC2.

Weird how we all remember where we were!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3386
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Gibbo wrote:
I thought some member of royalty had died, as the common practice is to suspend all transmissions before an announcement is made.


In that case, they'd be playing utterly depressing and miserable music on all channels if that were the case - like they did the day Diana copped it.


I remember the Queen mother died whilst Capital Radio were in the middle of Help A London Child on the Saturday. They did continue on the Monday. Thats a total different situation.

I remember that day too. I was listening to Richard Allinson's saturday afternoon show which was abruptly halted and an emergency programme went out. The webcam suddenly showed an empty RA studio.


I was watching a rather funny episode of Steptoe and Son on BBC2.

Weird how we all remember where we were!

I was at the cinema, but I can't remember the film. When we went in, Richard was playing "Birdhouse In Your Soul" when we came out he was playing "Adagio For Strings" - a sure sign something had happened!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PJ in Kent



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1102
Location: Go on, guess!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
nod wrote:
Rachel wrote:
......Music is music! Itís good if you like it, if you don't, that doesn't make it dross.


Some music is better than other music


That depends on what YOU like. I could listen to Jazz all day, I could listen to Punk all day, some people don't like either of those, I can't understand why?! Smile

As the majestic Dark Lord, Alex Lester has oft noted: "There is no such thing as bad music- just music that you don't happen to like"
_________________
He's not the Messiah- he's a very naughty boy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com