R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80mph

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: 80mph Reply with quote

The Government is going to take a consultation about whether the speed limit should be raised by 80mph. The new limit could be introduced by 2013. The 70mph limit was set back in 1965, but cars have got safer since then - with a 75% fall in road traffic accidents. 49% of drivers are currently breaking the speed limit, so wonder if the speed limit was raised whether people would drive at 90mph? Hopefully the Government will reduce speed limits in villages and around schools to 20mph?

What does everyone think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point Mark but of course your point about safer cars with better brakes and ABS etc equally applies in places where lower limits apply

There is a valid argument to the effect that the 30MPH limit in built up areas should be raised because it was set in the 1930's when cars had poor drum brakes and could not stop anywhere near as quickly and safely as cars do today

I have my own views on the subject but I simply mention the point as I think that logically it must have some validity although how public reaction would be in respect of such a issue is an entirely different matter

I do believe that the limit on motorways should be raised to 80MPH in order to avoid problems with bunching which can make motorways unnecessarily dangerous places
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 80mph change is OK.

As a frequent motorway driver I regularly drive in the outside lane at 85mph because everyone else in the lane does, safely, and I find it more hazardous in inner lanes doing 70 when vehicles are jostling with vans and lorries.

So the increase could make things safer overall, and encourage the slow drivers to stay in the inside lane where they belong Razz
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 80mph Reply with quote

The Government is going to take a consultation about whether the speed limit should be raised by 80mph.

Crikey, the new limit's going to be 150 mph??
Laughing
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea BUT they should come clean about what speed they are going to prosecute for exceeding it and not vague like it is now.

Fed up of hearing those going on about the enviroment when cars have got so much better ove rthe last few years and are nearly doing 80mph now Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify Nod's point the current position is that they allow a margin for error of 3MPH plus 10% of the limit in any one place before prosecutions take place

So for example if you drive at 36MPH in a 30 limit you're OK but at 37MPH you are not

In a current 70 limit you can get away with 80MPH but not 81MPH

I would imagine that when the limit is raised the same will apply so in a 80MPH limit you'll be fine at 91MPH but not at 92MPH
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Variable speed limits around motorways like the M25 and M6 ( Birmingham ) at peak times drivers are sometimes unable to get upto 70mph, let alone 80mph. Brake won't be happy unless 40mph limit is introduced.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Brake won't be happy unless 40mph limit is introduced.....


Who? Where?
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
Brake won't be happy unless 40mph limit is introduced.....


Who? Where?


Brake are always complaining about the increase in speed and deaths on the roads. So it's my guessing they would like to see a decrease in speed, instead of an increase!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlepieces



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1098
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit never heard of brake but as was posted above there seems to be a lot of area's on motorways where you can only do 50...although most people do 60
_________________
I found out how you can hurt an insect.It's the bees knees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18217
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAKE have regularly had speakers on news/current affairs for many years whenever the speed limits come up.

I don't think the limit should be raised as people with any sense are driving more slowly to conserve fuel. It's noticeable on motorways, or it is to us. Also as most have said a lot drive at almost 80 anyway so why raise the limit?

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Just to clarify Nod's point the current position is that they allow a margin for error of 3MPH plus 10% of the limit in any one place before prosecutions take place

So for example if you drive at 36MPH in a 30 limit you're OK but at 37MPH you are not

In a current 70 limit you can get away with 80MPH but not 81MPH

I would imagine that when the limit is raised the same will apply so in a 80MPH limit you'll be fine at 91MPH but not at 92MPH


Not always true I beleive, I've known people prosecuted at 79mph, and someone was prosecuted for 76mph on what I think was a dual carriageway although I am not 100% on that I meant to enquire. Where do you see 10% + 2 or 3 written down ? It seems to be down to the individual police forces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:

I don't think the limit should be raised as people with any sense are driving more slowly to conserve fuel.
H


Why should people be fined for using more fuel ? Rolling Eyes

My car does more than 50mpg (I have sense!) , why not fine people who do less than 40mpg ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18217
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Helen May wrote:

I don't think the limit should be raised as people with any sense are driving more slowly to conserve fuel.
H


Why should people be fined for using more fuel ? Rolling Eyes

My car does more than 50mpg (I have sense!) , why not fine people who do less than 40mpg ? Rolling Eyes


Did I say fine someone for driving to the current speed limit? No.

All I said was that it's noticeable that people are driving slower on motorways and you do get better fuel comsumption at say 65 mph than you do at 80mph.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address Nod's point I don't think there is any actual legal requirement for individual police forces to apply the error margins mentioned in my earlier post but I believe most if not all of them should do quite simply because it is recommended in Home Office guidelines based on data provided by the manufacturers of the equipment used in such cases

Otherwise you would have a situation where many more cases were challenged in court on the basis of lack of accuracy of readings obtained from speed cameras and related equipment which clogs up the system and creates lots of additional expense in processing cases
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to preserve fuel isn't going to help as it can put more strain on the car. Most cars are high powerful which effect the catalletic if they are not used to the correct way. Keep reducing speed on motorways, build up emissions too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this idea?

Drivers who fall foul to speed and other traffic offences should not just be fined. There licences should be removed until they have gone through an awarness test? Once they have completed this they get the licence back, and it goes on a national data base. If they are caught again they should be banned from driving until they have completed a full driving test again. It would remove idiots off the roads, but the problem with this there is just not enough police watching everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwarburton



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2133
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the whole I support raising the motorway limit to 80, which almost everyone does anyway. Hate to tell you but I DID get done for going at 36 in a 30. I opted to go on a speed awareness course, rather than take the points, and it turned out to be very good.

Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Number Six



Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 409
Location: In the village

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be raised to 80mph but it should be rigorously enforced. Get more police out in unmarked cars nicking people. Get the real idiots like the bad overtakers, the ones who try and push in at the last minute. They're the ones who cause accidents
_________________
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you probably could have challenged the result in your case Ian but of course the problem is that to do so would involve lawyers and probably expert witnesses which all costs money so most people in that position tend to opt for what is probably the safer option and simply take the penalty
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorway I drive on mostly is the M6 and as I said above the safest place to be is the outside lane and doing 85. Anywhere else you just get slow cars, vans and lorries continually braking and going in and out of the inside lane.

The outside lane at 85 is the only way to get away from trouble!
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
All I said was that it's noticeable that people are driving slower on motorways and you do get better fuel comsumption at say 65 mph than you do at 80mph.

H


Not any motorways I go on, expect the annoying speed restrictions on the M42, usually for no good reason Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwarburton wrote:
On the whole I support raising the motorway limit to 80, which almost everyone does anyway. Hate to tell you but I DID get done for going at 36 in a 30. I opted to go on a speed awareness course, rather than take the points, and it turned out to be very good.

Ian.


I think some forces use 10% +2 which in your case is 35mph, but my argument is they don't all come out and say it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:

Did I say fine someone for driving to the current speed limit? No.


H


No but you are saying they shouldn't increase it to save fuel, which I think is wrong. If they want to save fuel then encourage people to use more efficient cars.

The fuel argument for limiting speed won't work when we wll have electric cars Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Helen May wrote:

Did I say fine someone for driving to the current speed limit? No.


H


No but you are saying they shouldn't increase it to save fuel, which I think is wrong. If they want to save fuel then encourage people to use more efficient cars.

The fuel argument for limiting speed won't work when we wll have electric cars Very Happy


Not when I read the new Nissan Leaf battery life only is around 5 /10 years which depends on how much you use it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18217
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Helen May wrote:

Did I say fine someone for driving to the current speed limit? No.


H


No but you are saying they shouldn't increase it to save fuel, which I think is wrong. If they want to save fuel then encourage people to use more efficient cars.

The fuel argument for limiting speed won't work when we wll have electric cars Very Happy


It will be many years before the majority of drivers will have electric cars. The speed limit question is for the near future, not the distant.

You can encourage them, but people can't afford to change cars when they feel like it now but they can save a few ús by driving more economically.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm in favour of the proposed speed limit increase I can see what Helen is saying about matters of fuel economy

However I think the point needs to be made that some drivers are presently taking the matter of fuel saving to dangerous extremes

I know of many drivers who regularly get up to 70MPH or more and then coast down some quite steep inclines in an attempt to save fuel which is extremely dangerous because not only does the driver have no control over the car whilst coasting but the practice can cause the brakes to seriously overheat affecting efficiency and posing a possible fire risk

I think people can become too obsessed with saving money and of course driving at slow speeds in low gears also reduces fuel efficiency and can cause additional engine wear
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
essexlady



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 348
Location: Essex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any justification for raising the speed limit to 80mph. The argument that it should be changed because everyone drives over 70mph anyway is silly - presumably this means that when the limit is 80mph then everyone will drive at 90?
Neither do I understand the argument that because it suits lots of people to break a law then the law should be changed.
Although of course cars these days are more efficient and safer I'm not at all sure that this is also true of the human part of the partnership. Judging by the idiocy seen on the roads everyday then the drivers are definitely not keeping up with the improvements of the cars e.g. it appears that lots of drivers don't even know that modern cars have indicators. Rolling Eyes
Sorry, rant over. Can you tell I've come across far too many idiots on the road today?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most idiots aren't even driving fast Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only today it was mentioned that accidents involving vehicles positioned in drivers blind spots are at record levels

It would seem that this may be partly because the EU regulations now require that cars have thicker side pillars supposedly for safety reasons but ironically this makes it much more difficult for drivers to see things in the areas not covered by the mirrors hence the increase in the numbers of blind spot crashes

Yet another reason for this country to leave the EU in my view Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com