R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texting is over taking calling.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Texting is over taking calling. Reply with quote

Texting is taking over calling according to Ofcom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18873041

________________

OK it's over to you m8...


Last edited by mark occomore on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18069
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it isn't with me!

I can understand that fewer new TV are being bought for teenagers as they are using other devices while viewing the main family one though.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Texting in over taking calling. Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Texting is taking over calling according to Ofcom.


Apart from the fact that the above doesn't make any sense, Mark, I should say that I do a lot more texting on my iPhone than I make phone calls. It's much easier to do and in fact I find that I communicate with friends, family and colleagues much more often.

In my office (I moved out of my home office a while back and now have a "proper" office!) we send out text messages to clients informing them of their order progress. An increasing number of them reply with questions via text, and so on. I even get business enquiries via text, too.

What I like about texts is that it forces you to be concise and get to the point - or ask a question - quickly. Sometimes that's necessary, but when it isn't then you can always make an old-fashioned phone call!

The downside of text messaging is that it demonstrates just how appalling many people's written English is - such as the near-obsolescence (or misuse) of the apostrophe. That drives me barmy because it's just plain lazy.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18069
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense Colin, and you don't always want to speak to the person. Wink

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
..and you don't always want to speak to the person.


That's very true!
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are all full of doom and gloom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18069
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

How can actually preferring to speak to someone be classed as doom and gloom...................

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Some of you are all full of doom and gloom.


What are you on about, Mark? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
essexlady



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 348
Location: Essex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes text but usually prefer to make a phone call because when , for example, I'm trying to arrange a meeting with a friend it takes at least 3 text messages to sort out something that can be done with 1 phone call.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate all this texting business... my wife "texted" (???) a tree surgeon this morning to ask him to come and take a look at an iffy tree.. I could have called him quicker!
If I want something from a supplier, I'd usually go and see them rather than telephone too! that's me stuffed then.. but I normally get what I want where as it's easy to say ( or text ) "No, we don't have those" because they're too lazy to look!
Texting is the thin end of the wedge of a moronic society...
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SantaFefan wrote:
Texting is the thin end of the wedge of a moronic society...


I disagree very strongly! Not only do I find it to be a very useful technology but I don't consider my use of it to be moronic.

An example from this very day. My wife was stuck in a boring business meeting and just couldn't call me. She sent a text, the thread for which I'm transcribing word for word here:

Wife: In a mtg can't call. Can we meet for lunch?

Me: Yep. What time.

Wife: 1?

Me: OK. Where?

Wife: meet me outside the office.

Me: OK will do.


There - where's the "thin edge to a moronic society" in that? In my opinion that was a quick and efficient piece of communication that served its purpose. We couldn't have communicated otherwise.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18069
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have their uses but I don't have many of them! I do occasionally text a friend who travels all over the country and I can sometimes lose track of where or what she's doing.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texting is impersonal and disregards social politeness

If you phone someone it's common courtesy to ask how they are and generally chat before getting on to the subject matter in question

With a text message it's a case of cutting to the chase and is in that sense quite selfish

Texts ought to be restricted to business situations but are in my view inappropriate for normal social interaction Sad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Texting is impersonal and disregards social politeness

If you phone someone it's common courtesy to ask how they are and generally chat before getting on to the subject matter in question

With a text message it's a case of cutting to the chase and is in that sense quite selfish

Texts ought to be restricted to business situations but are in my view inappropriate for normal social interaction Sad


Ruddles, I have to respond with the word "rubbish"! Today, my daughter sent me a text while I was really busy at the office which simply read "Is Ewan OK to come round at 5.30?" to which I replied "Yep". (Ewan is my 10-year-old grandson who I'm teaching video editing on an iPad).

Done. She was in a hurry. I was busy. Text was a great solution - as it often is. Tomorrow we'll meet up early evening for a drink and a bite to eat and we'll socialise as most families do after work.

What's socially "inappropriate" about that? Horses for courses, in my opinion. technology exists to satisfy certain needs and we all have different needs. That one suited (a) my daughter, who needed a quick answer, and (b) me, because I was busy.

I really, really don't know why it's such a big deal for people. By all means don't use it if that's your choice but it's silly to stereotype others according to their preferences.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've exactly illustrated all that is wrong with our society today Colin

Everyone is too busy to take any serious interest in things going on around them

It might not be the fault of individuals - everyone is under pressure to perform to maximum capacity - but our society is so much the poorer for that which is why I think so many people are permanently stressed out with their lives today Sad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I'll admit, I don't have a particularly wide experience of younger people, just the few dozen I come across in the course of say, a few months working, buying stuff from retailers, eating out etc.
Plus of course the television programmes I see featuring the young and their problems.

It seems to me in general, younger people cannot communicate very well, speak or express themselves very well or spell correctly... that's my opinion.
I have a teacher friend who would back me up 100% on this by the way...

I believe that as kids, we have to learn how to express ourselves, develop and expand on our beliefs, learn from and even imitate role models...learn by talking to others, particularly older people.
Using the telephone for me was a big hurdle, I was terrified at the thought of speaking to others who may know more than I did.. but I got over it because I had to.

So, I believe youngsters cannot "talk" to others nowadays as well as we did a few decades ago, education standards have slumped and ( I believe ) kids are leaving school with a lessor standard of education than I had back in the 60s.

Of course, some will say they know or have, kids that are brimming with knowledge... well, from my position, that isn't the case around here!
Kids don't read books so much, they "copy and paste" to do their homework, they seem to have no interest in anything practical...

You learn nothing from texting.

Of course in Colin's case, or mine, it isn't a problem as he/we are already socially stable, we were "conditioned" in the old school way - talking.

My comment of a moronic society is the "fear" I have of what this country is going to be like in a few generation's time... I dread to think!
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
You've exactly illustrated all that is wrong with our society today Colin


Why on earth should it be that to utilise a given piece of technology in a chosen way is an indicator of "all that is wrong with society"? I'll say it again Ruddles - that's absolute rubbish.

ruddlescat wrote:
Everyone is too busy to take any serious interest in things going on around them


Ditto. Rubbish. Are you pointing the finger at me here? After all, I find the technology really useful at times, so perhaps you are! It might be true for some people, but it sure as hell isn't true for all text users. I'm busy earning a living - but my "job" is also my "hobby" and I certainly have time for what's going on around me. I'm not stressed out - my blood pressure is the lowest it's been for 30 years, despite being self-employed in a double-dip recession. So who does your theory apply to?

ruddlescat wrote:
It might not be the fault of individuals - everyone is under pressure to perform to maximum capacity - but our society is so much the poorer for that which is why I think so many people are permanently stressed out with their lives today Sad


And again.................... rubbish (at least in the context of the discussion).

OK. Consider this. My 85-year-old father has only recently discovered the convenience of SMS (aka "texting"). Yesterday he accompanied my mother to hospital for an appointment with a consultant. Both my brother and I have been a bit concerned at my mother's deteriorating health.

My brother, who finds it difficult to take personal phone calls in the office during the average day, asked that my dad simply dropped him a text after the hospital meeting just to let him know that things were OK. This my dad did - with a simple message which read "Seen consultant. Everything OK". He sent the same message to me.

There. How wonderful. Neither of my parents would be home for a couple of hours and my dad would rather talk to us on the landline in the comfort of his armchair. Fair enough. So the text was the most appropriate form of quick, efficient communication under the circumstances.

So.. I'll ask you the question yet again. What on earth is wrong with that? It suited my dad. It suited my brother. It suited me. Isn't technology wonderful!

I really don't get it, I don't honestly!
Back to top
iwarburton



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2133
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case, perhaps, of horses for courses. I'm not tied to texting but there are times that I find it the most effective way of communicating.

Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really nothing more to say on this subject Colin except I think it's interesting that you choose to use the word 'efficient' which to me rather sums up what's wrong with social relationships in the current century

It's fine to be efficient in business situations but personal relationships should not be reduced to the realms of 'efficiency' - I'm reminded of the vast numbers of people who go to sites like Funkypigeon.com when they want to send a greeting card on a special occasion - basically they don't think enough of the recipient to bother taking the trouble to go to a shop and choose an appropriate card - but that's 'efficiency' for you in this day and age Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I've really nothing more to say on this subject Colin except I think it's interesting that you choose to use the word 'efficient' which to me rather sums up what's wrong with social relationships in the current century


......... oh my gawd, here we go! Rolling Eyes

ruddlescat wrote:
It's fine to be efficient in business situations but personal relationships should not be reduced to the realms of 'efficiency' - I'm reminded of the vast numbers of people who go to sites like Funkypigeon.com when they want to send a greeting card on a special occasion - basically they don't think enough of the recipient to bother taking the trouble to go to a shop and choose an appropriate card - but that's 'efficiency' for you in this day and age Rolling Eyes


Thanks for the discussion on semantics. Perhaps we should opt for something simple - like "Quick and Easy". That's what it is - quick and easy, which is what I (and many others) want from time to time.

By the way, my wife has just reached her office and I've just received a text message from her. It reads "dishwasher". That's all. What she wants me to do is to switch the dishwasher off before I go out this morning.

There. Quick and easy eh? (And, actually, quite an efficient means of alerting me to the fact at a time when she just can't make a phone call and it serves no purpose to go to the effort of making a phone call anyhow).
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience many marriages after a few years end up like business relationships so I can't really say it's wrong for spouses to text each other Laughing

I think this is one topic on which we will have to agree to disagree Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I think this is one topic on which we will have to agree to disagree Smile


At the expense of prolonging the pain for you, I can't see what there is to disagree about. Are you actually saying that it wasn't appropriate for my wife to send a quick reminder to me about the dishwasher at a time when it was either that or nothing? The reason I ask is that if the basis of your argument covers all uses of the technology of SMS then surely it must be? Put another way - does her text message to me really represent "all that is wrong with society"?
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as texts between you and your wife are concerned Colin all I can say is that if it works for you then absolutely fine

I am simply expressing the view that text messages are a very efficient way of communicating in business matters where most people really don't care much about the other party so long as they cough up the appropriate fee when required

However family relationships in my view demand rather more effort like often a personal conversation - that's my view and I'm sticking to it

End of conversation on this topic Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
As far as texts between you and your wife are concerned Colin all I can say is that if it works for you then absolutely fine


It does. And would your alternative have been?

ruddlescat wrote:
I am simply expressing the view that text messages are a very efficient way of communicating in business matters where most people really don't care much about the other party so long as they cough up the appropriate fee when required


You're making a bloody big mountain out of a tiny little molehill.

ruddlescat wrote:
However family relationships in my view demand rather more effort like often a personal conversation - that's my view and I'm sticking to it


It's all about common sense and "balance". I talk to members of my family (a) in person, (b) on the phone when I can't talk in person and (c) by text when we need to exchange messages quickly and when neither (a) nor (b) are appropriate or convenient.

Perfect. I still can't see what your issue is!
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an 'issue' Colin - or rather a problem as I would prefer to call it - the word 'issue' is yet another Americanism creeping into our once great language which I hate - just don't get me going on that particular topic Mad

I was simply expressing a view which is what I thought this forum was all about

We're all different in our views and sometimes they may seem odd to third parties Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I don't have an 'issue' Colin - or rather a problem as I would prefer to call it - the word 'issue' is yet another Americanism creeping into our once great language which I hate - just don't get me going on that particular topic Mad


Thanks for the lesson on semantics. Put it another way - what is it that bugs you......... oops, sorry, that word is obviously banned for being an Americanism as well!

ruddlescat wrote:
I was simply expressing a view which is what I thought this forum was all about


Agreed. However, you still haven't answered my question: What on earth can be "wrong" about my wife sending me a quick text message from her office that reads "Dishwasher" in the hope that she manages to catch me before I leave for my office? Why on earth would she go to the added expense and inconvenience of making a phone call? iMessage between iPhones is free insofar as it uses an existing data connection over the internet.

You maintain that such a style of communication represents "all that is wrong with today's society". What on earth is there about that which justifies your observation?

Sorry to labour the issue - but if you do indeed consider that to be the case then I'm stunned.

ruddlescat wrote:
We're all different in our views and sometimes they may seem odd to third parties Smile


And your generalised "one size fits all" viewpoint is proof of that!

PS: I'll continue to use the word "issue" because I quite like it in the context. Language is constantly evolving and what we call "English" is a product of that evolutionary process. I don't, therefore, have an issue with the use of the word "issue".
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not by any chance thinking of having a sex change operation are you Colin?

I only say that because you do seem rather obsessed about always having the last word and I always thought that was a female thing Laughing

I repeat I've nothing more to say on this subject Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
You're not by any chance thinking of having a sex change operation are you Colin?

I only say that because you do seem rather obsessed about always having the last word and I always thought that was a female thing Laughing

I repeat I've nothing more to say on this subject Smile


So............. shall I tell her that her single word text to me represents all that is wrong with modern society? Go on - I dare you!

(PS: I'll ignore the sexist joke).
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't resist that particular joke - sexist or not - I actually don't really buy all this politically correct c--p although I do have the greatest respect for both genders

As for what you tell your better half - that's up to you to decide - after all I don't have to live with her but you do so I'd be rather careful Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Sorry I couldn't resist that particular joke - sexist or not - I actually don't really buy all this politically correct c--p although I do have the greatest respect for both genders

As for what you tell your better half - that's up to you to decide - after all I don't have to live with her but you do so I'd be rather careful Smile


I didn't think you'd answer my question! Smile

And don't worry, we've been married for 33 years so no problems with what we discuss. She'd just reply to any criticism of her texting habits with two words!
Back to top
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I only say that because you do seem rather obsessed about always having the last word


Pot...kettle...black

ruddlescat wrote:
I repeat I've nothing more to say on this subject Smile


Unless someone else adds a reply and you can then repeat that you have nothing more to say, in the hope of having the last word.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saying nothing................ Smile
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know your still being your usual helpful self Shaky Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what I mean! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed!

(Oops!)
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that on another thread Colin you were moaning about Ms Feltz inviting stupid texts about bacon or something like that so I take it from that you do accept that not all texting is good

And quite naturally I assume that you would agree with me on the matter known as 'sexting' where youngsters send text messages to each other including nude photos of themselves most of which then get posted on line often as a form of bullying and remain there for all time and can never be removed

Given those facts actually I think I can make out a valid argument that certain texting does represent much of what is wrong with our society today - if you think it's a good idea for naked pictures of children to be posted on line as a direct result of texting I'd be interested to hear what you have to say Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I notice that on another thread Colin you were moaning about Ms Feltz inviting stupid texts about bacon or something like that so I take it from that you do accept that not all texting is good


Not at all. My criticism in this context is the use to which the technology is put. That's as much a criticism of the production values (or lack of) of the Venessa Feltz show - you could apply the argument to the topic even if people were asked to mail in postcards with their suggestions.

ruddlescat wrote:
quite naturally I assume that you would agree with me on the matter known as 'sexting' where youngsters send text messages to each other including nude photos of themselves most of which then get posted on line often as a form of bullying and remain there for all time and can never be removed


Ditto my comment above.

ruddlescat wrote:
Given those facts actually I think I can make out a valid argument that certain texting does represent much of what is wrong with our society today - if you think it's a good idea for naked pictures of children to be posted on line as a direct result of texting I'd be interested to hear what you have to say Smile


What I have to say is no different to my previous position. Whatever your view, it still doesn't add credence to the notion that by my wife sending me a single, simple hurried text message that reads "Dishwasher" she is demonstrating an example of what is wrong with today's society. Whichever way you look at it you just cannot reasonably argue that to be the case because in the eyes of any sensible person it's just plain daft.

Technology exists. How it's used is subject to criticism - not the existence of the technology itself. Sailors of old used to send rude messages to enemy ships via semaphore. Did semaphore represent all that was bad about society at the time?
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think you've addressed the matters I raised Colin

Of course modern technology can be beneficial but it can also have very major downsides and I think that you can't simply love the technology but ignore some of the bad consequences which such technology leads to

We all quite happily managed without such modern know how for years and years and I think people were a great deal happier in those days - why is it that people seem to want every form of communication to be instant in this day and age? - that's probably why the whole of our society is permanently stressed out - I could quite happily throw my mobile phone out of the car window virtually every day because all it causes me is constant stress and hassle with very few benefits Mad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I don't really think you've addressed the matters I raised Colin


If I haven't then it's because I still don't understand what your problem is.

ruddlescat wrote:
Of course modern technology can be beneficial but it can also have very major downsides and I think that you can't simply love the technology but ignore some of the bad consequences which such technology leads to


So what? Shall we apply that to every piece of technology? Where does it all end? Why are you using the Internet or communicating here via the application of a set of php scripts connecting with a backend MySQL database on what is probably a Linux web server - a web forum, in other words? Why don't you run around knocking on our doors and discussing with each of us in person if you're so worried about the potentially negative impacts of connective digital technologies?

ruddlescat wrote:
We all quite happily managed without such modern know how for years and years and I think people were a great deal happier in those days - why is it that people seem to want every form of communication to be instant in this day and age? - that's probably why the whole of our society is permanently stressed out - I could quite happily throw my mobile phone out of the car window virtually every day because all it causes me is constant stress and hassle with very few benefits Mad


Again - so what? Those are issues that you have to deal with yourself - but I don't have the same concerns so your observations aren't really that relevant to me or those around me. But I still think that your assertion that "texting represents all that is wrong with our society" is ridiculous - at least in the context of my use of such a marvellous invention.
Back to top
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? Laughing
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com