R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm surely glad....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Coffee Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5577

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: I'm surely glad.... Reply with quote

...that I don't smoke anymore....(health reasons apart)

I was stood behind a woman in a shop this morning who was buying a 20 pack of cigarettes.Having given up the habit a good few years ago I was interested to hear how much they cost now and was shocked to hear they were 8 something ...blimey! ..that would be costing me a staggering 56+ a week if I were still smoking. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for giving up. I cannot understand smoking. It says on the box. This will kill you.

Before anyone smokes they should, fast forward their mind to that point in the future when they are in a hospital bed with oxygen tubes stuffed up their nose, coughing, wheezing and 20 minutes away from death: then consider the twenty years of health and fun they would have after that point if they don't smoke.

Imagine if they invent a pill that means you can stay healthy and live forever just a few days after you die 20 years early because you smoke, you'd be looking down thinking ... humph!!!!! If only I'd hung on a few more days.... or they start space holidays to the moon but you miss out cos you're dead before the first flight....

I know I come across as a bit of goody two shoes, don't drink, don't smoke but there's more to life than that. It's about......

Music and banana milk shake ... and that's just two things... holding hands, making love in the pouring rain on a hotel balcony, kite surfing, thumb wrestling to decide who does the washing up and then doing it together anyway, popcorn in the cinema, bacon sandwiches with tomato sauce, driving fast cars really slowly with the roof off just to hear the purrrrrrrrr... throwning a ball on a rope for your dog, climbing trees... collecting conkers.. making jam, doing and selling a painting... growing things...snuggling up to watch a dvd... log fires... roast dinners, telling the window cleaner he's missed the same bit he missed last week, negotiating the price for a set of new boots for your car.... how much!? Do you think I was born yesterday? No love, you about 50 to me, do you want the tyres or not? Dr Who!!!! Waking up on Christmas morning. In fact waking up on any morning and thinking woohoo! Another day... they just keep coming....

And there's more...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5577

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
It says on the box. This will kill you.


It didn't used to...people who smoke today have a much more educated view of what smoking can do to you.

R2Icon wrote:
Before anyone smokes they should, fast forward their mind to that point in the future when they are in a hospital bed with oxygen tubes stuffed up their nose, coughing, wheezing and 20 minutes away from death: then consider the twenty years of health and fun they would have after that point if they don't smoke.


I obviously would never be an advocate for smoking but that is not the end that everyone who smokes will experience.

R2Icon wrote:


And there's more...

Many people who smoke will do all and many more things than are on your list,Rachel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becky sharp wrote:


It didn't used to...people who smoke today have a much more educated view of what smoking can do...

I obviously would never be an advocate for smoking but that is not the end that everyone who smokes will experience.

Many people who smoke will do all and many more things than are on your list,Rachel.


The warnings have been on cigarette boxes, all my life. 40 years +

Maybe not everyone: so that's ok then. "It might not be me" That's exactly the sort of thing the weak minded fools whom smoke say.

Gosh! All those things and smoke as well. Lucky them. Well, until they die when they could have still been doing those things if they didn't smoke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5577

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
It says on the box. This will kill you.

It didn't used to...people who smoke today have a much more educated view of what smoking can do to you.
R2Icon wrote:

The warnings have been on cigarette boxes, all my life. 40 years +

Warnings, yes, but not the stark"This will kill you"..... that didn't come in until 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_packaging_warning_messages#United_Kingdom

R2Icon wrote:
so that's ok then.

Well, obviously not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your hair on.

Not that it matters though because some people will smoke, whatever, and of course they are perfectly entitled so to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5577

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
Keep your hair on.


...Excuse me?... ...what an odd thing to say..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest friend - well I don't mean he's old but the person I've known since the age of five used to say years ago 'If people smoke they might as well be digging their own grave' which was really quite perceptive for a young child in the early sixties

He was right though - I'd love to see a picture of an open grave on cigarette packets - or even better a caption showing the machine which crushes up human bones at a crematorium - smoking is bad news but having said that smokers do pay a great deal in tax which probably goes some way towards defraying the costs they impose on the NHS and as a libertarian I don't think that smoking should be banned by any means - we just need to perhaps cater better for smokers in certain areas so as to ensure they can enjoy their poison without adversely affecting everyone else Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 17886
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm surely glad.... Reply with quote

becky sharp wrote:
...that I don't smoke anymore....(health reasons apart)

I was stood behind a woman in a shop this morning who was buying a 20 pack of cigarettes.Having given up the habit a good few years ago I was interested to hear how much they cost now and was shocked to hear they were 8 something ...blimey! ..that would be costing me a staggering 56+ a week if I were still smoking. Shocked


It's a shock when you don't smoke to find out how much it does cost. My Dad asked me a few months back and I could only tell him the duty free price that I'd recently seen and that was bad enough!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5577

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: I'm surely glad.... Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
becky sharp wrote:
...that I don't smoke anymore....(health reasons apart)

I was stood behind a woman in a shop this morning who was buying a 20 pack of cigarettes.Having given up the habit a good few years ago I was interested to hear how much they cost now and was shocked to hear they were 8 something ...blimey! ..that would be costing me a staggering 56+ a week if I were still smoking. Shocked


It's a shock when you don't smoke to find out how much it does cost. My Dad asked me a few months back and I could only tell him the duty free price that I'd recently seen and that was bad enough!

H

I saw a schoolgirl (15/16?) smoking the other day ...makes you wonder how they (more than others) afford it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FleetingEileenM



Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 4837
Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I never smoked. I tried one when I was about 17 but found the taste so disgusting that I had to eat an apple straight after. I wasn't tempted to have another go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked more than enough, passively, for the first ten years of my life, to keep me going for the whole of it.

I did try one, in my teens, and it made me sick, which was sufficient deterrent.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Coffee Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com