R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to xanadu!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Welcome to xanadu! Reply with quote

Hello to,

xanadu



Please introduce yourself, tell us what you listen to on BBC Radio 2 or anywhere!
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xanadu



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks for the welcome.

A music lover, that's me. I like a lot of the Radio 2 shows. Team PoG is my favorite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and can I just say that it's absolutely wonderful to see a new member actually posting here - it seems that very few of them do so very well done Very Happy
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18494
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Xanadu, nice to see a new face Very Happy

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlepieces



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1098
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome
Cool Cool
_________________
I found out how you can hurt an insect.It's the bees knees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Xanadu, welcome to the Forum.

I once saw the film Xanadu in a double bill with The Secret of Nimh!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xanadu



Joined: 17 Oct 2013
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a nice place, which is good because I only do nice places. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich come to mind for some strange reason.......

......and the gorgeous Olivia Newton-John.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 6110

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome xanadu. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 735
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have a legend on here, Xanadu.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, xanadu has asked to be de-registered. So be it.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Rachel! That's three identities you've got through! We can only speculate as to what's going on in your head.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame a new poster has been hounded out - and people wonder why this place is dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 735
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. If you read this, Rachel, come back on and post under whatever name springs to mind. Especially on Name That Tune. Take care.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldraver wrote:
Yep. If you read this, Rachel, come back on and post under whatever name springs to mind. Especially on Name That Tune. Take care.

Sadly, Rachel's been banned for being "too disruptive." Despite accusations, she wasn't actually Xanadu, so well done posters on here for driving out TWO people!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18494
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Rachel left the board by choice some weeks ago, she wasn't banned Ian.

If she isn't Xanadu maybe she'll come back and say so?

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 735
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
oldraver wrote:
Yep. If you read this, Rachel, come back on and post under whatever name springs to mind. Especially on Name That Tune. Take care.

Sadly, Rachel's been banned for being "too disruptive." Despite accusations, she wasn't actually Xanadu, so well done posters on here for driving out TWO people!


Really? That's BS. The worst anyone could accuse her of, is being quirky. I don't listen to CE, but her posts don't disrupt me in any way. Most are entertaining, anyhow. If she wasn't Xanadu, then she must be Rory Bremner.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Sadly, Rachel's been banned for being "too disruptive." Despite accusations, she wasn't actually Xanadu....


I have evidence to the contrary (and not just the fact that all three users' IP addresses were identical, either). And, as Helen pointed out above, she hasn't been "banned" either. She asked John for her account to be de-activated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
Sadly, Rachel's been banned for being "too disruptive." Despite accusations, she wasn't actually Xanadu....


I have evidence to the contrary (and not just the fact that all three users' IP addresses were identical, either). And, as Helen pointed out above, she hasn't been "banned" either. She asked John for her account to be de-activated.

As ever, Colin, you are wrong.

She asked John if she could come back. John has refused.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
As ever, Colin, you are wrong.


"As ever.."? Don't be silly.

Ian Robinson wrote:
She asked John if she could come back. John has refused.


Then that decision was made after my last communication with John. I'm sure he'll confirm or otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Then that decision was made after my last communication with John. I'm sure he'll confirm or otherwise.

I don't know what it's got to do with you (or me, or Ruddles, or anyone) who posters apparently really are and why John has shared that info privately rather than putting it out here? Are we all being tracked and discussed privately between you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:

I don't know what it's got to do with you (or me, or Ruddles, or anyone) who posters apparently really are and why John has shared that info privately rather than putting it out here? Are we all being tracked and discussed privately between you?


No, but there was a very good reason why John and I needed to exchange info regarding something that can't be discussed in the open forum.

Is that OK with you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Is that OK with you?

Nope. Why does John accept new members, start thread welcoming them, then go silent while you accuse them of being someone they're not? Can't some of that be discussed out in the open? It does seem at times you're too quick to discuss the poster, not the post - from chasing Rachel to pointing out every mistake Mark O might make.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, leave it please. Seriously.

(And when was the last time I pointed out any of Mark O's mistakes?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldraver wrote:
The worst anyone could accuse her of, is being quirky. I don't listen to CE, but her posts don't disrupt me in any way. Most are entertaining, anyhow. If she wasn't Xanadu, then she must be Rory Bremner.


Laughing I like quirky, quirky is good... yes, I loved reading Rachel's posts and Xanadu's too.. I found them very entertaining, certainly not disruptive?
I sincerely hope Rach hasn't been banned and she, they, it or both will be back sooner rather than later! Razz
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
(And when was the last time I pointed out any of Mark O's mistakes?)

Dunno - you seem to have put him off posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Colin wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
Sadly, Rachel's been banned for being "too disruptive." Despite accusations, she wasn't actually Xanadu....


I have evidence to the contrary (and not just the fact that all three users' IP addresses were identical, either). And, as Helen pointed out above, she hasn't been "banned" either. She asked John for her account to be de-activated.

As ever, Colin, you are wrong.

She asked John if she could come back. John has refused.


Ian, I have to monitor things carefully. The only thing Colin said that was wrong was that IP addresses were identical, they weren't but they were darn close. I gave that information to Colin to avoid inquisition of the new member, and to let things run.

In all cases with Rachel and any name clearly emanating from the same source, I've been able to let things run until each ID left the forum. I have not banned any of her aliases, but after departure I have de-activated the member, and I have not approved the most recent application (yes, another one) because I don't like folks leaving of their own accord and returning again and again with a new ID. Basically that behaviour is trollish.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Rachel shouldn't keep coming and going, but then she's not the only one who's done that (**cough** ColinB **cough**) and it seems a shame to shut out an interesting poster. I'm still not clear what it had to do with Colin though - is he checking the IP of everyone who registers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
I agree Rachel shouldn't keep coming and going, but then she's not the only one who's done that (**cough** ColinB **cough**) and it seems a shame to shut out an interesting poster. I'm still not clear what it had to do with Colin though - is he checking the IP of everyone who registers?


Only the Admin (John) can do that. When I was running my own phpBB2 forums I found it necessary to perform IP checks on new members simply because I couldn't afford not to. Just look at the number of spambot registrations here daily! (BTW - my re-registration took place once and after almost a year).

John W wrote:
Ian, I have to monitor things carefully. The only thing Colin said that was wrong was that IP addresses were identical, they weren't but they were darn close.


Apologies John. In a communication to me you stated "....I checked IP's on xanadu messages yesterday and it's clear that the identities of......" etc which I took to infer that they matched.

Anyway, I can say that I have been in private communication with "a recent former user of this forum" this evening about certain unacceptable references made in recent posts but it's not inappropriate to discuss it here. I am, however, now satisfied that my assumptions were absolutely correct.

Best leave it there, though! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, Colin can't check IPs of posters here. I just wanted to diffuse the earlier situation by suggesting close IPs same source so that accusations/arguments would cease.

The reason Colin gets new ID's is because he asked for previous ones to be removed from membership. And the same name can't be used again.
Our recent multi-ID user could still use old IDs, I would just have to re-activate them, and also as well as multi-IDs that member was using different email addresses every time which doesn't suit the user admin here - creating a new e-mail address just to register - that sort of thing is trollish.

And yes of course I am watching Colin's behaviour on here, but the majority of his postings are informative and honest which could not be said about recent user of aliases, so I continue to give Colin the benefit of the doubt.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:
And yes of course I am watching Colin's behaviour on here, but the majority of his postings are informative and honest which could not be said about recent user of aliases, so I continue to give Colin the benefit of the doubt.


John, I know I get rather animated about things and I know that this can antagonise some people (Ian and others?) for which I apologise. Life is indeed too short, after all! The problem is that I'm a sucker for taking the bait.

I'll try harder to be nice.......

..... as of now.

So how's your day been, Ian?

Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
When I was running my own phpBB2 forums I found it necessary to perform IP checks on new members simply because I couldn't afford not to. Just look at the number of spambot registrations here daily! (BTW - my re-registration took place once and after almost a year).

Agreed that we need to keep spambots out... but this does seem like snooping on someone you (wrongly) suspect of being someone else and that's a little dodgy.

Quote:
John W wrote:
Ian, I have to monitor things carefully. The only thing Colin said that was wrong was that IP addresses were identical, they weren't but they were darn close.


Apologies John. In a communication to me you stated "....I checked IP's on xanadu messages yesterday and it's clear that the identities of......" etc which I took to infer that they matched.

Anyway, I can say that I have been in private communication with "a recent former user of this forum" this evening about certain unacceptable references made in recent posts but it's not inappropriate to discuss it here. I am, however, now satisfied that my assumptions were absolutely correct.

Best leave it there, though! Wink

Yes, leave it there. Even though the IPs don't match, it seems the concept of different people sharing a living space is unknown to you so we may end up talking about the birds and the bees.


John W wrote:
And the same name can't be used again.
Our recent multi-ID user could still use old IDs, I would just have to re-activate them, and also as well as multi-IDs that member was using different email addresses every time which doesn't suit the user admin here - creating a new e-mail address just to register - that sort of thing is trollish.

AFAIK, Rachel has only had 3 identities on here (R2Icon, Rachel, and her first one I can't remember - so only 1 more than Colin) and I assume the reason she has entered a different e-mail is because she didn't know old accounts could be re-activated. I certainly didn't - and I'd guess Colin doesn't either, or he'd be ColinB again (or that other one that gave his full name).

Colin wrote:
The problem is that I'm a sucker for taking the bait.

You are indeed. And, to be fair, I'm a sucker for dangling it.

Quote:
I'll try harder to be nice.......

..... as of now.

So how's your day been, Ian?

Cool

My day has been lovely, thanks. Woke up to Chris Evans, enjoyed Ken Bruce, then switched to Radio Lancashire to hear about the awards ceremony I'm nominated in (but not attending). All while catching up with work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
AFAIK, Rachel has only had 3 identities on here (R2Icon, Rachel, and her first one I can't remember


Also include the one that is/was the most recent application (see member list, Rachel_Scott) and there was another name used when e-mailing me.

I can check IP addresses of applicants and any e-mails sent to me, so the xanadu was added to that list too, and it was later confirmed that it did indeed come from the source. I'd had enough.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
AFAIK, Rachel has only had 3 identities on here (R2Icon, Rachel, and her first one I can't remember


Also include the one that is/was the most recent application (see member list, Rachel_Scott) and there was another name used when e-mailing me.

Oh, the member list! I'd forgotten Colby. Is it all even yet between these two?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said before, I knew Colin couldn't use his old IDs. Let's move on.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:
Well, as I said before, I knew Colin couldn't use his old IDs. Let's move on.

But if Colin can't, why do you penalise Rachel for not doing that either?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3363
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
John W wrote:
Well, as I said before, I knew Colin couldn't use his old IDs. Let's move on.

But if Colin can't, why do you penalise Rachel for not doing that either?


Because Rachel could have used her old IDs but was always pretending to be someone else.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3452
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. We're going round in circles and you're being disingenuous. Anyhoo... despite the shenanigans it's a shame to lose people who actually post stuff, and then actively keep them off when there's so few left.

(although I agree about keeping Scott Nelson off)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that John once accidentally banned me from this forum and when I queried it he pointed out that the ban was supposed to have been imposed against a new member whose IP details were almost identical to mine - so I was banned in error

So just because someone's details may be similar to a former member it certainly doesn't prove that they ARE that former member and I don't think anyone should be making such assumptions

I think if this forum is to thrive everyone here needs to become more tolerant to the views of others whose opinions they may not share - but of course if a fellow member engages in abuse then we are all perfectly entitled to retaliate

Personally I've only ever experienced abuse from one poster on here and it certainly wasn't Rachel Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 735
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SantaFefan wrote:
oldraver wrote:
The worst anyone could accuse her of, is being quirky. I don't listen to CE, but her posts don't disrupt me in any way. Most are entertaining, anyhow. If she wasn't Xanadu, then she must be Rory Bremner.


Laughing I like quirky, quirky is good... yes, I loved reading Rachel's posts and Xanadu's too.. I found them very entertaining, certainly not disruptive?
I sincerely hope Rach hasn't been banned and she, they, it or both will be back sooner rather than later! Razz


I like quirky as well. She was great in Birds Of A Feather.

I also listened to a few minutes of CE this morning. I got lucky, as Rannulph Fiennes was talking most of the time. Now there's a bloke R2 should employ.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> The Welcome Mat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com