R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike Smith Dies

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> In Memoriam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Mike Smith Dies Reply with quote

Former Radio One DJ Mike Smith has died after complications whilst in hospital he was 59 and Married too Sarah Greene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad news Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28623367
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A notification popped up on my iPhone to deliver the BBC breaking news and I thought: "I bet Mark has already rushed here to post a link". And he had!!! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6848
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news indeed and another candidate for the Last Word on Radio 4. I wonder if there will ever be a week where they can't do a programme because there isn't anyone to feature, somehow I doubt it. Sad
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-08-02/former-radio-1-presenter-mike-smith-dies-aged-59/

http://radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/mike_smith_page.htm

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/Radio1_MikeSmithJingles.mp3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
A notification popped up on my iPhone to deliver the BBC breaking news and I thought: "I bet Mark has already rushed here to post a link". And he had!!! Smile


I doubt Radio 1 will pay much of a tribute to him. More like Radio 2 will.

He attracted big R1 Breakfast show listening figures too and wasn't loud either. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5727

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has already been said this is sad news.

He was always so youthful looking ..hard to believe he was 59 and harder still to think he has died at that age.

R.I.P

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the audience once for one a daytime TV gameshow he presented, in which he was a lot of fun. Unfortunately by the time it was broadcast they'd cut out many of the jokes and asides that he'd made, and he came across as a bit bland. I suppose he was always in the shadow of Noel Edmonds (who he blamed for ruining his TV career) but for a few years was very popular in his own right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP

If I remember correctly he and his wife survived a helicopter crash where he was badly injured.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
RIP

If I remember correctly he and his wife survived a helicopter crash where he was badly injured.

H


That is correct which nearly killed them. He then married Sarah Greene. They never had children.

He also presented BBC Breakfast, Late Late Breakfast Show, Ghostwatch and was on Capital Radio. Did quite well in his younger years, but faded out of the limelight. Was quite critical so l was reading about Radio 1 when he spoke out about it in 2013. He's been running the helicopter tv company for sometime and they have shown some brilliant footage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather ironic that he should survive such a bad crash only to die at the age of 59

It tends to support my view that 'when your time's up it's up' and if you cheat death on one occasion the grim reaper will find another way of achieving his - or her - goal

I fondly recall his relatively short stint on the R1 breakfast show and in fact I think he was probably the last decent presenter in that slot - perhaps Sara Cox excepted although she wasn't as good as she is now in those days

I do agree that he did probably suffer from living in the shadow of Noel Edmonds which was a shame as he was a great presenter in his own right and it's really sad that he's passed on Sad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Helen May wrote:
RIP

If I remember correctly he and his wife survived a helicopter crash where he was badly injured.

H


That is correct which nearly killed them. He then married Sarah Greene. They never had children.

He also presented BBC Breakfast, Late Late Breakfast Show, Ghostwatch and was on Capital Radio. Did quite well in his younger years, but faded out of the limelight. Was quite critical so l was reading about Radio 1 when he spoke out about it in 2013. He's been running the helicopter tv company for sometime and they have shown some brilliant footage.


He was married to Sarah Greene at the time of the crash and she was also in the helicopter Mark.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
He was married to Sarah Greene at the time of the crash and she was also in the helicopter Mark.


And she broke an arm and both legs, I recall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
Helen May wrote:
RIP

If I remember correctly he and his wife survived a helicopter crash where he was badly injured.

H


That is correct which nearly killed them. He then married Sarah Greene. They never had children.

He also presented BBC Breakfast, Late Late Breakfast Show, Ghostwatch and was on Capital Radio. Did quite well in his younger years, but faded out of the limelight. Was quite critical so l was reading about Radio 1 when he spoke out about it in 2013. He's been running the helicopter tv company for sometime and they have shown some brilliant footage.


He was married to Sarah Greene at the time of the crash and she was also in the helicopter Mark.

H

Mark's a bit garbled but he's correct that they weren't married at the time of the crash.

I've got it in my head that he asked her to marry him live on TV from their respective hospital beds during an edition of Going Live that was catching up on her condition. I could be wrong on that, but they definitely got engaged and then married after the crash.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Sarah Greene years back when she was working on Blue Peter and a BBC film crew turned up in Milton Keynes to shoot a piece with a couple of friends of mine who used to run a travelling magic lantern show on a canal boat. We all lunched in a local pub and she was absolutely delightful even though she was tired from being extremely busy at the time.

I was quite shocked when I read of their air accident years later - she brought both legs and a few other bones, I recall. Mike Smith damaged his spine, too, I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
I met Sarah Greene years back when she was working on Blue Peter and a BBC film crew turned up in Milton Keynes to shoot a piece with a couple of friends of mine who used to run a travelling magic lantern show on a canal boat. We all lunched in a local pub and she was absolutely delightful even though she was tired from being extremely busy at the time.

Interesting! I know some people who were on Going Live and said she was a right cow. Always nice to hear balance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Interesting! I know some people who were on Going Live and said she was a right cow. Always nice to hear balance.


The trouble with media-people is that everybody else is a cow or an "a---hole" at some stage or other. It's usually down to professional jealousies, I think. The best people to gain a reasonable judgement from in the TV business are camera crew members, I feel!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
A notification popped up on my iPhone to deliver the BBC breaking news and I thought: "I bet Mark has already rushed here to post a link". And he had!!! Smile


Rushed yes, link no Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike would have been a good choice for Radio 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colin



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Mike would have been a good choice for Radio 2.


In the 80s and early 90s, perhaps, but he did actually have a successful business so perhaps he didn't want it. Perhaps he was asked?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toggy



Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 1239

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
A notification popped up on my iPhone to deliver the BBC breaking news and I thought: "I bet Mark has already rushed here to post a link". And he had!!! Smile


So what, the 'In Memoriam' should give you a clue of what this section of the forum is for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> In Memoriam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com