R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC4 in peril?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FleetingEileenM



Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 5385
Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: BBC4 in peril? Reply with quote

There is a rumour that BBC4 is either to be axed or moved on line to make room for BBC3 to return to terrestrial TV. Just a rumour, I hope.

The average age of BBC4 viewers is 62. It is the most grown up of the BBC channels and I for one would miss it greatly. Elderly people who don't "do" internet but do have brains and cultural interests would miss out badly. Even internet-savvy people like us might not be inclined to move off our comfortable sofas to sit in front of a computer to watch something. Yet again the BBC is chasing after the 16-24 year olds and might move some of BBC4's budget to BBC3 and maybe bring the latter back to terrestrial TV. If BBC2 get some of the arts programmes there won't be much room for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fog on the Tyne



Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 1014

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A disgrace if this is true, it was my understanding that BBC3 was removed from the digital platform to save money and yet they seem to spend more on programming for BBC3 than for BBC4. The trails for BBC3 shows are endless.
Another nail in the coffin for BBC I fear.
_________________
The wheel keeps on turning...
This fool made it round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18596
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the same Eileen and I just hope that it's not going to happen.

What really annoys me is for at least 3 nights of the week the 'after News @10' programming is all BBC 3, most of which is a turn off for us. Maybe I'm missing out on some good shows but from the trails I somehow doubt it! Our usual comment after such a trailer is 'I don't think so!'.

Perhaps they should put a few more BBC4 shows on BBC1 instead of the BBC3 stuff.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 774
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sign the petition. Every little helps.

https://www.change.org/p/british-broadcasting-corporation-save-bbc-four-from-closure?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&recruited_by_id=75b549c0-961b-11ea-b5bb-b37f6fd1ad85
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3379
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed it.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 774
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, your Lordship.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3366
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed!
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 6210

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BBC4 in peril? Reply with quote

FleetingEileenM wrote:
There is a rumour that BBC4 is either to be axed or moved on line to make room for BBC3 to return to terrestrial TV. Just a rumour, I hope.

The average age of BBC4 viewers is 62. It is the most grown up of the BBC channels and I for one would miss it greatly. Elderly people who don't "do" internet but do have brains and cultural interests would miss out badly. Even internet-savvy people like us might not be inclined to move off our comfortable sofas to sit in front of a computer to watch something. Yet again the BBC is chasing after the 16-24 year olds and might move some of BBC4's budget to BBC3 and maybe bring the latter back to terrestrial TV. If BBC2 get some of the arts programmes there won't be much room for them.


I think the BBC are behind the curve with this, if that is the idea

The majority of youngsters do not sit and watch traditional TV anymore.

A word of praise for a splendid programme from BBC 3 currently being shown,prime time on a Monday night,on BBC 1.

Normal People. It is just wonderful. Cool


Seen online...
"The Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday that BBC Four will be axed, even though it said the BBC won’t publically admit that this is the case. Indeed, a spokeswoman said: “There are no plans to close BBC Four.”"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 774
Location: London

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:
Signed!


Cheers John.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6975
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 774
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angela. They've buckled under pressure and rightly so. But it's a feeble compromise, I think. The tactic of taking the best programmes from BBC 4 and putting them onto BBC 2 is a tactic they've used before. If people don't have the nous by now, to be able to find good programmes on BBC 4, but can if they're shown on BBC 2, is beyond my reckoning capabilities.

Another thing. They're going to bring back BBC 3, apparently, seeing they've had a few successes of late, especially the wonderful Normal People. I'm amazed they got rid of it in the first place. Cowardice from the fear of the big bad Tories. Though now, it should be the ridiculously inept clueless Tories. And the BBC are still sacred of them - re last weeks dressing down of Emily Maitlis, who is by far the BBC's best of anything. And therein lies the rub. Instead of punishing the viewer or listener every time, by cutting this and cutting that...remember we've been here before, with the threat to BBC 4 and 6 Music, with one of the villains-in-chief, Mr Davie (I've forgotten his first name) one of the short listed mediocrities lined up to be the next DG of the whole shebang. We should be worried. Anyway, I digressed...instead of punishing us, they should be cutting back on all the suits who do next to nothing to earn the vast wages they're paid.

So, BBC 4 stays for the moment, albeit with repeats and no new programmes on the horizon. I expect we should be tugging our forelocks that they have allowed us this, while they churn out the mostly mindless drivel for the masses on BBC 1. Make Jay Blades the new DG and we might get somewhere. Somebody who is actually in touch with the great unwashed.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/bbc-four-saved
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 774
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, we should be worried. I knew he'd get the job. He's a hatchet man.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18596
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I agree with you Raver. I sometimes wonder is there any point to anything now?

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fog on the Tyne



Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 1014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that the BBC is in a bad place right now. I think they are making bad decisions regarding their content - chasing a young audience which quite frankly doesn't exist; most of the younger audience view things via other platforms rather than tv and the same applies to their listening patterns.
The threat to BBC 4 clearly shows this.

At the same time they seem to be making enemies within government which won't help when charter comes up for review in a few years and there's still the rumbling issue of tv licences for the aged.

I can see a good deal of cloth cutting in the next year or two and I only hope that the correct decisions are made but unfortunately I'm not that optimistic.
_________________
The wheel keeps on turning...
This fool made it round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3379
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog on the Tyne wrote:
and there's still the rumbling issue of tv licences for the aged.

They quite rightly praised Captain Tom for his heroic walk round the garden raising millions, but he & his generation are, it seems, still to be punished by losing their free TV licenses in a few months time. That is about the best example of rank hipocrisy on the part of the government that you could wish to see!

I've just enjoyed watching a couple of 1989 editions of Top Of The Pops on BBC 4. So many tracks on there that I don't remember because they've just been ignored over the years.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6975
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
Fog on the Tyne wrote:
and there's still the rumbling issue of tv licences for the aged.

They quite rightly praised Captain Tom for his heroic walk round the garden raising millions, but he & his generation are, it seems, still to be punished by losing their free TV licenses in a few months time. That is about the best example of rank hipocrisy on the part of the government that you could wish to see!

I've just enjoyed watching a couple of 1989 editions of Top Of The Pops on BBC 4. So many tracks on there that I don't remember because they've just been ignored over the years.


Yes and so were the VE Day celebrations while many of that generation were dying from Covid-19 in care homes.
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 6210

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela W wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
Fog on the Tyne wrote:
and there's still the rumbling issue of tv licences for the aged.

They quite rightly praised Captain Tom for his heroic walk round the garden raising millions, but he & his generation are, it seems, still to be punished by losing their free TV licenses in a few months time. That is about the best example of rank hipocrisy on the part of the government that you could wish to see!

I've just enjoyed watching a couple of 1989 editions of Top Of The Pops on BBC 4. So many tracks on there that I don't remember because they've just been ignored over the years.


Yes and so were the VE Day celebrations while many of that generation were dying from Covid-19 in care homes.

Nothing short of scandalous. Crying or Very sad

The inquiry (and there should be one) into care home deaths will damn this government to hell.

And what's the betting nothing happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com