R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP Radio 2

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: RIP Radio 2 Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned Radio 2 has the final nail knocked in its coffin tonight at 10.00pm with the departure of Radcliffe and Maconie.

The patient took ill with the arrival of Lesley Douglas and its condition worsened with symptoms of Ross, Brand and was announced incurable once Evans set in, Phelps finishing the patient off.

Whereas R2 was unmissable three or four years ago, I really don't care if I don't have it on at all, even poor old Ken gets forgotten about after forgetting to switch away from my Ipod at 9.30.

I may take the occasional foray into the weekend schedules for SOTS & POTP, but there is precious little else that R2 has to offer for me.

Like most of today's BBC output, its just lowest common denominator stuff, for the braindead, Lord Reith must be spinning in his grave......

RIP Radio 2!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, I can summarise it more efficiently by simply stating that Radio 2 is crap.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, Radcliff and Maconie are poor-poor broadcasters, and I’m surprised they haven’t been booted out altogether; they’re lucky to be going to six-music. Last night’s show was abysmal – they have the odd funny moment but they are in no way good enough for Radio 2. It’s like listening to a pub brawl.

Oh there’s that lowest common denominator again – surely you mean highest common factor?
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's dead yet just best avoided between 5am to 7pm, and 8pm-10pm soon, and only listening to the 'specialist' shows and SOTS, and some of Sunday Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FleetingEileenM



Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 5136
Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's dead and I seem to be finding more and more to listen to these days, namely the 10pm specialist programmes including Desmond Carrington's Icons of the 50s, David Jacobs's life story, Barry Manilow's new series on the great composers (Gershwin & Berlin so far), George Shearing to look forward to tonight, plus of course Friday and Sunday nights.

And I've never seen the point of Radcliffe & Maconie and don't much like what they play or their feeble"banter” (Sorry to all their fans on here). However Maconie has a brain and was very good on Only Connect a few weeks ago, and I heard a couple of his Radio 4 programmes in which he went out rambling with various walking groups and in which he did well.

I like Radio 2 (in the evenings!) Daytime output is not to my taste.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fred



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RIP Radio 2 Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
As far as I'm concerned Radio 2 has the final nail knocked in its coffin tonight at 10.00pm with the departure of Radcliffe and Maconie.


I completely disagree with you. I think Mark & Stuart are much better on their own anyway, and I'm looking forward to Mark's new Tuesday evening show.

Radio 2 has lots of programmes which I listen to regularly - both daytime shows and specialist shows.

The only Radio 2 show I refuse to go anywhere near is Alan Carr's Saturday night one! Its a little too commercial-radio style programming for me.

I compliment my Radio 2 listening with other stations - namely 5 Live, World Service, Radio 4 and Radio Gloucestershire, but that's not because I don't like the programmes on Radio 2, but because I like to have a change every now and then.
_________________
Fred Hart
Student & Broadcaster
Website: http://www.fred-hart.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&M togther were just a pain for me, and rarely tuned in the last year or so. They are, though, OK on their own in my opinion.

My R2 listening has decreased steadily since Lesley Douglas. Haven't bothered ever to listen to Vanessa. Now it's NEVER R2 between 6.30am- 7.00pm weekdays. I've given up on Jamie, Paul Jones, R&M. In fact there isn't anything MUST listen just occasional Bob Harris, FNIMN, Desmond, SOTS, Titchmarsh, Russell, Clare, and late docus e.g. I'll likely listen to George Shearing docu tonight.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With there being so many great alternatives out there in the digital domain, it's a surprise that anybody listens to the dated dross that occupies the Radio 2 airwaves for most of the week - from 6.30am until well into the evening on weekdays and much of the weekends. It really is dire!
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18220
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Radcliffe and Maconie that much but quite enjoyed the few I heard. I miss Stuart's programmes solo programmes, he was great when he covered Drivetime when Johnnie Walker was ill and his Saturday afternoon show was excellent.

I also miss his Critical Lists from Saturday nights, it seems like centuries ago that he did that.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last show- last night wasn't too bad- we stayed up late. The star of the show though, was the last "Chain" caller - Ella. She was fantastic!
Back to top
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
I disagree, Radcliff and Maconie are poor-poor broadcasters, and I’m surprised they haven’t been booted out altogether; they’re lucky to be going to six-music. Last night’s show was abysmal – they have the odd funny moment but they are in no way good enough for Radio 2. It’s like listening to a pub brawl.

Oh there’s that lowest common denominator again – surely you mean highest common factor?


R&M are superb broadcasters - far superior to the diabolically bad Chris Evans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
With there being so many great alternatives out there in the digital domain, it's a surprise that anybody listens to the dated dross that occupies the Radio 2 airwaves for most of the week - from 6.30am until well into the evening on weekdays and much of the weekends. It really is dire!


Sadly to me 'digital domain' = 'lots more dross' Rolling Eyes

I haven't found any of the 'new' digital stations that good, the only one I listen to more is 6music for the music and that varies between excellent with Tom Ravenscroft, Steve lamacq etc to dross with the breakfast show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Sadly to me 'digital domain' = 'lots more dross' Rolling Eyes

I haven't found any of the 'new' digital stations that good, the only one I listen to more is 6music for the music and that varies between excellent with Tom Ravenscroft, Steve lamacq etc to dross with the breakfast show.


I'm not talking about DAB - I'm talking about the great interweb. Most of the time I use the iPhone App called TuneIn Radio which is jam-packed with good stations, which means that I can sit the iPhone in its dock and stream to my heart's content all day long. I can even stream whilst in the car (3G reception permitting).

I'm currently listening to Coastline FM, an English-language ex-pat station in Malaga. It's very much what I consider Radio 2 should be like. Thanks to the local ads and local references (many of which I'm familiar with) you can almost feel the warmth of the sun coming through the speakers!

It's only when you discover what a mass of good alternatives there exists out there that you realise how naff Radio 2 has become. This morning I was listening to Radio Caroline (via TuneIn) when many masochists were enduring the insufferable Evans!
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
I'm not talking about DAB


was I just talking about DAB ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
ColinB wrote:
I'm not talking about DAB


was I just talking about DAB ? Rolling Eyes


That certainly appeared to be the case.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Colin: when you get divorced, it’s never a good plan to tell your ex-wife everyday ( or several times everyday), how good your new wife is. Also if you spent a lot of time with your ex-wife talking about your new wife, your new wife might start to feel a bit paranoid, you may well be telling your ex-wife that your new wife- looks like Claudia Schiffer, cooks to Egon Ronay standards and goes like a train all day and night but I’m sure that she’d still be miffed that you spent so much time with your ex-wife.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
You know, Colin: when you get divorced, it’s never a good plan to tell your ex-wife everyday ( or several times everyday), how good your new wife is. Also if you spent a lot of time with your ex-wife talking about your new wife, your new wife might start to feel a bit paranoid, you may well be telling your ex-wife that your new wife- looks like Claudia Schiffer, cooks to Egon Ronay standards and goes like a train all day and night but I’m sure that she’d still be miffed that you spent so much time with your ex-wife.


Ah, yes, but........... my wife is a very good wife and we're very content with each other. In contrast, I really don't give a monkey's chuff what Radio 2 thinks of my betrayal!!! Smile
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Rachel wrote:
You know, Colin: when you get divorced, it’s never a good plan to tell your ex-wife everyday ( or several times everyday), how good your new wife is. Also if you spent a lot of time with your ex-wife talking about your new wife, your new wife might start to feel a bit paranoid, you may well be telling your ex-wife that your new wife- looks like Claudia Schiffer, cooks to Egon Ronay standards and goes like a train all day and night but I’m sure that she’d still be miffed that you spent so much time with your ex-wife.


Ah, yes, but........... my wife is a very good wife and we're very content with each other. In contrast, I really don't give a monkey's chuff what Radio 2 thinks of my betrayal!!! Smile


I see, so you're just having an affair with digital radio, a trist, perhaps even just filirting with it over a coffee: a bit of fun on the side, a little digital deception while Radio 2 is at the hairdressers- sounds like fun. Smile We know where your true Radio heart lies.
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
I see, so you're just having an affair with digital radio, a trist, perhaps even just filirting with it over a coffee: a bit of fun on the side, a little digital deception while Radio 2 is at the hairdressers- sounds like fun. Smile We know where your true Radio heart lies.


Radio 2 at the hairdressers? But isn't it bald??? Cool
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Rachel wrote:
I see, so you're just having an affair with digital radio, a trist, perhaps even just filirting with it over a coffee: a bit of fun on the side, a little digital deception while Radio 2 is at the hairdressers- sounds like fun. Smile We know where your true Radio heart lies.


Radio 2 at the hairdressers? But isn't it bald??? Cool


Alex Lester has enough hair for everyone at Radio 2- he keeps the average hair count well-up. Smile
Back to top
Themanfromuncle



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 79
Location: Near The Beach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radcliffe and Maconie get shifted aside yet Alan Carr is welcomed with open arms to destroy the airwaves every Saturday night?

There you have the reason (one of many for me) why R2 now makes no sense. It has lost the plot to the sell out brain-dead celeb magazine crowd.

Shame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Themanfromuncle wrote:
Radcliffe and Maconie get shifted aside yet Alan Carr is welcomed with open arms to destroy the airwaves every Saturday night?

There you have the reason (one of many for me) why R2 now makes no sense. It has lost the plot to the sell out brain-dead celeb magazine crowd.

Shame.


OMG! Alan Carr. I am a tolerant radio listener but Alan Carr- come on! Oh God no…. HELP! HELP!
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once we can agree Rachel

I don't understand how any controller could inflict Mr Carr on anyone except as a punishment

Furthermore I don't know anyone who either likes or listens to his show so if there is anyone out there who does perhaps they could enlighten us on exactly why Confused
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6878
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its almost goodbye Radio 2, I'm off to join the circus.
I have really enjoyed listening to SOTS, POTP and JW's Sounds of the Seventies but now I have to re-join the world and work (most) weekends. I will still listen in, but either by recording the shows or on Listen Again. The station from Monday to Friday has lost me forever, or until some of the voices I like to hear return. Crying or Very sad Sad
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tireecoll



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Location: Hampshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who is the patron saint of hyperbole?

I know many thought Rand M indispensible but to be honest the duo irritated me to hell. So that's just an opinion but if you look across the week taking into account the full 24 hours 7 days a week service Radio 2 offers the variety of shows is still there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Themanfromuncle



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 79
Location: Near The Beach

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variety is the spice of life, or, as my old Mum says, "Variety is fine until you realise it can lead to herpes if you don't take precautions".

A vast array of variety doesn't equate to quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:

OMG! Alan Carr. I am a tolerant radio listener but Alan Carr- come on! Oh God no…. HELP! HELP!


add VF, ZB, DO'L, CE breakfast, JV (and GN is going that way as the music he plays, and the boring guests are getting worse) to that Rolling Eyes

and this lot make SW & SM sound almost bearable !! Shocked

and KB get some better music quick !!

Talking of variety anyone being watching the series on Saturday nights ?
Shows when there was talent out there and not just celebs Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much stopped listening to Radio 2 now (Radcliffe and Maconie are off to 6 Music, so there's nothing left for me).

So probably no need to visit this board any more. Unless the mod would like to create a special area for 6 Music (or a whole new forum)? Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3357
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still talk 6 music on here. I've done it enough times!!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but it would be nice to have a section dedicated to 6 Music. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
You can still talk 6 music on here. I've done it enough times!!


Come to think of it, we can talk about Radio Caroline (an infinitely better station than R2) - as I have done once or twice!
Back to top
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Rachel wrote:

OMG! Alan Carr. I am a tolerant radio listener but Alan Carr- come on! Oh God no…. HELP! HELP!


add VF, ZB, DO'L, CE breakfast, JV (and GN is going that way as the music he plays, and the boring guests are getting worse) to that Rolling Eyes

and this lot make SW & SM sound almost bearable !! Shocked

and KB get some better music quick !!

Talking of variety anyone being watching the series on Saturday nights ?
Shows when there was talent out there and not just celebs Smile



I saw it on BBC4 when first shown a few weeks back - makes you realise what a load of talentless idiots are called "stars" these days! I also agree with the sentiments expressed above by Rach and Nod !
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwarburton



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2133
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best is still very good indeed but there's just not enough of it.

Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barty wrote:
True, but it would be nice to have a section dedicated to 6 Music. Smile


There have been a couple of 6music threads over at the What other radio do you listen to? section, you could start a new thread, just call it 6music?
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com