R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peter Skellern.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5130

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Peter Skellern. Reply with quote

I saw this yesterday about Peter..

Seventies pop star ordained as a priest in Cornwall

A seventies pop star, who found fame with the top ten hit You're A Lady, has achieved a life-long ambition to be ordained as a priest in Cornwall following special permission from the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Peter Skellern, 69, from Cornwall, had first dreamed of ordination as a nine-year-old, but never found the time. But two and half years ago he was put forward for ordination training, and then was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour.

Mr Skellern, from Lanteglos-by-Fowey, said: "For about a week I hung in this abyss and I just grabbed God.

"I was given a year to live and everything fell, apart from my belief in God. It was like that for about a week and then God closed the ground beneath me and I became resigned and happy and I have been like that ever since."

The Rt Rev Tim Thornton, Bishop of Truro, suggested he carried on with his ordination.

"It is very unusual for someone to be ordained as a deacon and a priest at the same time," Mr Skellern said. "I was amazed Bishop Tim suggested it. It was just staggering for me. On the day I just felt wonderful."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/seventies-pop-star-ordained-as-a-priest-in-cornwall/story-29835024-detail/story.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 501
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, the horrible disease has taken Peter away from us, all too soon. Like you Becky, I loved his music. Such a talented man.

And...he was a member of the original Oasis. Not a lot of people know that, as Maurice Micklewhite said. With Mary Hopkin, Julian Lloyd Webber, Bill Lovelady and someone whose name I've forgotten. Let's call him Michael Caine.

This is lovely...Weavers of Moonbeams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5c3Xzi214

And this...farewell, Peter. Check out the George Harrison quote underneath, Becky...hopefully, they will be jamming along on some celestial Anglican or Hindu cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86quwlWjSE
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5130

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldraver wrote:
Alas, the horrible disease has taken Peter away from us, all too soon. Like you Becky, I loved his music. Such a talented man.

And...he was a member of the original Oasis. Not a lot of people know that, as Maurice Micklewhite said. With Mary Hopkin, Julian Lloyd Webber, Bill Lovelady and someone whose name I've forgotten. Let's call him Michael Caine.

I'm among the lot of people,Raver, who didn't know Oasis had already been around before ....Oasis.Very Happy

oldraver wrote:
This is lovely...Weavers of Moonbeams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5c3Xzi214


That really is lovely..their voices go well together. I've let that Youtube carry on and have listened to more of their lovely sound...thanks.
oldraver wrote:


And this...farewell, Peter. Check out the George Harrison quote underneath, Becky...hopefully, they will be jamming along on some celestial Anglican or Hindu cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86quwlWjSE


What a lovely thought.

I can't see a George Harrison quote

RIP Peter

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 501
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because I put the wrong link up, Becky. Never mind. If we keep quiet about it, nobody will ever know... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7XsJ9ryO3M
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5130

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldraver wrote:
That's because I put the wrong link up, Becky. Never mind. If we keep quiet about it, nobody will ever know... Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7XsJ9ryO3M


Well I won't say anything,Raver if you don't..Wink

High praise from lovely George.

Did you see this comment further down from a Vaughan Rogers?

"I worked on this track with Peter, every voice you hear on this track is Peter's, a truly talented guy."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldraver



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 501
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see it, thanks Becky. Thought I'd let you find it, seeing as there were only four comments.
_________________
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5130

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldraver wrote:
I did see it, thanks Becky. Thought I'd let you find it, seeing as there were only four comments.

Thanks.

Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com