R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radcliffe & Maconie Cut To Three Nights A Week

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Radcliffe & Maconie Cut To Three Nights A Week Reply with quote

It's been reported Radio 2 are to cut Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie nightly show back to three evenings a week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/10/bbc-6-music-bruce-dickinson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fred



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I read it on RadioToday.co.uk; its to make way for a new two-hour programme on Thursday evenings called Radio 2 In Concert.

Quote:
A BBC spokeswoman said: "Radio 2 In Concert, which will have Mark and Stuart among its presenters, extends the network's commitment to live music and features a headline concert specially recorded for Radio 2 and a round up of the week's live music offering across the network.


Could be quite good, in which case I wouldn't mind having it in place of Radcliffe & Maconie.
_________________
Fred Hart
Student & Broadcaster
Website: http://www.fred-hart.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mark Radcliffe should cover for Steve Wright show again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
I think Mark Radcliffe should cover for Steve Wright show again?


I think Mark Radcliffe ought to be invited to cover permanently!
Back to top
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a good idea!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's both good and bad news, good we get more 'live' (it will be interesting to see how much is really live) Very Happy and bad news we loose one night of a good show Rolling Eyes

Now if only they could have put it on Friday in place of the now poor Arts show or insted of the awful Alan Carr show on a Saturday Rolling Eyes

I see HIGNFY moving to Thursdays, is there a move to make Thursday the new Friday or Saturday at the BBC ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aviddiva



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 1135
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Radcliffe & Maconie cut down to three nights a week Reply with quote

It's a good news and bad news thing, sure. I wish they'd cut Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs - because of the Groundhog Day playlist and because of the insecure repetition of 'Love the show, Steve'.
_________________
We are loonies and we are proud!

- Campbell Bain in 'Takin' Over The Asylum'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clive55



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that Radders & Macaroni show it at the wrong time in the wrong place.
They might work better in Wossy's slot.
Or on 6 Music
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clive55



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, tho their mid evening show doesn't work for me, I'd like to see them have a go at Drivetime. I think they might work out well in that slot- & they'd be on five days a week! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive55 wrote:
I do think that Radders & Macaroni show it at the wrong time in the wrong place.
They might work better in Wossy's slot.


Yes, either that or Saturday afternoons. If they were ever to get Wossy's slot (which, let's face it, is unlikely under the current Controller who doesn't seem to have much of a clue about anything), the music policy would have to be changed. The one thing I like about their existing show format is that it provides a vehicle for unusual and off-centre music. Both of them have a great musical knowledge, after all.
Back to top
essexlady



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 348
Location: Essex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They present an excellent show - I'd love to see (hear?) either or both of them on Saturdays - I always thought that Stuart's Saturday afternoon show was very enjoyable. They're both really good presenters and would fit in any time but maybe their present format and time suits them both as they both have professional lives outside broadcasting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clive55



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For satuday afternoons i'd love to hear something like the late, great Roger Scott's Saturday Sequence (then on Radio 1, believe it or not!). Though God knows who could host it. Maybe Johnnie walker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3356
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Johnnie Walker did present it for a while. I do remember enjoying the show. I still have a recording of an hour long segment of Saturday Sequence that celebrated 25 years of Radio 1, with Roger Scott as the presenter. Lots of vintage Radio 1 clips from 1960s - 70s in particular. I'd love it to return. Yes, Johnnie could certainly present it, as could Mark Radcliffe or Stuart Maconie. Perhaps they could allow Bob Harris, Alex Lester or Janice Long out in the daylight. Maybe bring these folk over from 6 music, Steve Lamacq, Gideon Coe, Marc Riley, Tom Robinson, Cerys Matthews or Liz Kershaw. All are music lovers first & foremost.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clive55



Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 1336

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall Scott had quite a few superb music guests on that show too. i recall The Judds being on & am fairly sure he had Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young on when they did their comeback/re union album in the ninetees. Not sure of all members of said group were on the show
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was worth applying a little necromancy to this thread - does anyone think that there is any chance of Shennan allowing R&M to permanently go back to four nights a week?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're flogging a dead whotsit there
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barty wrote:
Thought it was worth applying a little necromancy to this thread - does anyone think that there is any chance of Shennan allowing R&M to permanently go back to four nights a week?


Do we know why they stopped, was it a R2 decision ? Rolling Eyes

7 nights a week would be fine with me Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dosn't Shennan want more females on the station? Jo Whiley fits in nicely Laughing. I think they also want to introuduce a show with there famous live music concerts. There was probarly no other space for it, but they could have removed Alan Carr show and sat it in that slot. The R&M could return to four nights. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Dosn't Shennan want more females on the station? Jo Whiley fits in nicely Laughing. I think they also want to introuduce a show with there famous live music concerts. There was probarly no other space for it, but they could have removed Alan Carr show and sat it in that slot. The R&M could return to four nights. Wink


What exactly does Jo Whiley do, introduce old concerts ?

Did I hear her and CE are introducing Elton John ? Rolling Eyes

I wouldnt call some of the concerts so far 'famous'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
I think Mark Radcliffe should cover for Steve Wright show again?


I think Mark Radcliffe ought to be invited to cover permanently!


Unless he moves to London, then no he couldn't. They could move Radio 2 to Salford. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
ColinB wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
I think Mark Radcliffe should cover for Steve Wright show again?


I think Mark Radcliffe ought to be invited to cover permanently!


Unless he moves to London, then no he couldn't. They could move Radio 2 to Salford. Laughing


The BBC network is such that shows can be input from anywhere on the circuit. The problem is that, ideally, the production team for a given show should be based at the same location.

With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

Until, that is, Radio 2 is auctioned off to the private sector in two years' time.
Back to top
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Barty wrote:
Thought it was worth applying a little necromancy to this thread - does anyone think that there is any chance of Shennan allowing R&M to permanently go back to four nights a week?


Do we know why they stopped, was it a R2 decision ? Rolling Eyes


Yes, based on a BBC Trust recommendation - basically the Trust ruled that there should be more live music on Radio 2. Shennan's response was to ditch one of R&M's shows (which, incidentally, often feature genuinely live music) and replace it with old recordings of 'live' music, the first hour of which usually consists of Jo Whiley wittering away asking for people to send in text messages. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Conclusion: Shennan misses the point. Again.

Quote:
7 nights a week would be fine with me Very Happy


Sounds perfect to me. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3418
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

It's a fantastic development, a great space for the media to work from and I look forward to all the great shows it is sure to produce.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

It's a fantastic development, a great space for the media to work from and I look forward to all the great shows it is sure to produce.


And it's a complete waste of money.
Back to top
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

It's a fantastic development, a great space for the media to work from and I look forward to all the great shows it is sure to produce.


Is that your tongue in your cheek .............. ? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3418
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barty wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

It's a fantastic development, a great space for the media to work from and I look forward to all the great shows it is sure to produce.


Is that your tongue in your cheek .............. ? Wink

Nope. I went for a look round last week and it's great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Barty wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
With more and more BBC production now been moved (at great expense and against the wishes of many staff) to the Salford White Elephant, it wouldn't be surprising to see more R2 shows emanating from that centre.

It's a fantastic development, a great space for the media to work from and I look forward to all the great shows it is sure to produce.


Is that your tongue in your cheek .............. ? Wink

Nope. I went for a look round last week and it's great.


And - to re-iterate - it's a complete waste of money. The decision to build it - together with a new broadcasting centre for the BBC in Glasgow - was made during Greg Dyke's "let's devolve the BBC to the regions" era and was made for purely ideological reasons at a time when there was a lot more money in the system.

It all harks back to the BBC's decision, in the late 1960s, to build a new network production centre in Birmingham which became Pebble Mill. That was a complete waste of resources from the day it was first proposed to the day they knocked the place down - and many BBC staff agreed (especially those who had to travel to Brum on TX or VT days).

Just look at the opposition to the move of BBC1's "The One Show" from White City to Manchester. Why? It will cost a huge amount of money and will require the relocation of over 100 production staff. Add to that the fact that guests will have to make the trip up north to appear and the problems just mount up.

Very nice, well-equipped centres they might be, I predict that the Manchester and Glasgow production centres will be sold off in the not-too-distant future, with space being leased to independents (if there are any left, given the paltry production budgets that are now being offered) and the BBC leasing back only the space it needs to fulfil its commitments in the north east.
Back to top
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3418
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Just look at the opposition to the move of BBC1's "The One Show" from White City to Manchester. Why? It will cost a huge amount of money and will require the relocation of over 100 production staff. Add to that the fact that guests will have to make the trip up north to appear and the problems just mount up.

I haven't seen a single argument against this development that hasn't basically boiled down to "boo hoo I don't want to live in the awful North boo hoo"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Just look at the opposition to the move of BBC1's "The One Show" from White City to Manchester. Why? It will cost a huge amount of money and will require the relocation of over 100 production staff. Add to that the fact that guests will have to make the trip up north to appear and the problems just mount up.

I haven't seen a single argument against this development that hasn't basically boiled down to "boo hoo I don't want to live in the awful North boo hoo"


I was thinking of it more in simple economic terms, actually.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't really see many of the daytime shows at Radio 2 being relocated to Manchester. The BBC have spent millions developing buildings around broadcasting house. Actually probarly in the world we live now, Manchesters project shouldn't have gone ahead. Nicky Cambell said recently in an interview "that he would travel to Manchester spend 5 days a week there, and travel back to see his family at the weekends. Thats one heck of a schedule and life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what all of them would have to do - we've discussed the possibility of the CEBS moving to Salford in another thread - unless they moved house, and presumably, since none of them are BBC staff, they'd be outside the removal assistance allowance scheme.

One reason that Simon Mayo came across to R2 was that he refused to ship to Salford with 5 Live.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3418
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Manford currently travels from Manchester to London for four days. Leaves lunchtime on Monday, gets home by Midnight on Thursday. It's not a big deal to do it the other way, especially as there's a tram stop right outside Media City going straight to the main train terminal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely listen to R&M but thought I'd switch on for a bit tonight - only to have to listen to a very boring phone-in by a woman a mile and a half from the studio.

I didn't stay on to hear any music.

I say chop the shows down to two a week till they stop all that sort of stuff. Razz
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Red Baron



Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show was great last night - it had me laughing out loud and I enjoyed the interview with Bryan Ferry Cool

The music, as always, was good and varied - and not the usual R2 playlist which has had me turning the radio off a lot recently.

The very brief phone-ins are just a part of the Chain. Some are good, some bad but that's life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Robinson wrote:
Jason Manford currently travels from Manchester to London for four days. Leaves lunchtime on Monday, gets home by Midnight on Thursday. It's not a big deal to do it the other way, especially as there's a tram stop right outside Media City going straight to the main train terminal.


It may not be a big deal for one presenter but it is certainly a big deal for the other 100 or so production team members - and that's without mentioning the resource infrastructure associated with the production.
Back to top
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3418
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Ian Robinson wrote:
Jason Manford currently travels from Manchester to London for four days. Leaves lunchtime on Monday, gets home by Midnight on Thursday. It's not a big deal to do it the other way, especially as there's a tram stop right outside Media City going straight to the main train terminal.


It may not be a big deal for one presenter but it is certainly a big deal for the other 100 or so production team members - and that's without mentioning the resource infrastructure associated with the production.

Well, then they can all come and live here in Chorley!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com