R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Wright Comment

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Steve Wright Comment Reply with quote

I liked Steve Wright comment on this afternoons big show ( 24th November 2010 ). We here until 5, and I'am usually here until then Laughing Laughing . Must have been reading these forums. Some have mentioned in the past whether the whole show is live, and he's there. Very Happy

Love the show, Steve.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve Wright Comment Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:


Love the show, Steve.....


Boring show as usual Steve! Smile
Back to top
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can there be anyone left who seriously believes that the "Big Show " (yuk) is live Surprised
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With todays technology why do we have to have it live? my problems are the fact that it's dire. the only possible highlight are the non stop oldies and for obvious reasons they can be hit and miss.

live doesn't matter as much as content
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you lot leave Steve alone! Live or not it brightens my afternoon, long may it continue..........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

undiscovered wrote:
With todays technology why do we have to have it live? my problems are the fact that it's dire.


Agreed. A bloke in his fifties trying desperately to sound hip. Cringeworthy!
Back to top
essexlady



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 348
Location: Essex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the start of Drivetime yesterday Simon said "Steve you can go home now, oh my mistake - you have" or words to that effect. I wonder if this was a comment about SW's absence from the studio that day?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's probably acknowledging (rather mischievously) on-air what they must all talk about off-air. Perhaps they're taking notice of the stuff that's being posted on the web about the matter, too.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18163
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

essexlady wrote:
At the start of Drivetime yesterday Simon said "Steve you can go home now, oh my mistake - you have" or words to that effect. I wonder if this was a comment about SW's absence from the studio that day?


Oh wish I'd heard that one!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

essexlady wrote:
At the start of Drivetime yesterday Simon said "Steve you can go home now, oh my mistake - you have" or words to that effect. I wonder if this was a comment about SW's absence from the studio that day?


It was 1min 20 Sec into the show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00w09fn/Simon_Mayo_Drivetime_23_11_2010
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 25 years working in the big swivel chair, I can confirm that it is entirely possible to be "long-gone" one minute and twenty seconds after COP- the chair may still be spinning at that time- but the occupant is half way across the car-park.

Anyway, there's five minutes of news before Mayo gets the mic. So that would be six minutes and twenty seconds- Wrighty would be on the A40 Westbound by then. Smile
Back to top
Nickbucks



Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Steve sits at home listening to his own recorded show ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickbucks wrote:
I wonder if Steve sits at home listening to his own recorded show ?


I don't think it matters if he does. He has to fill a three hour show. It's actually much easier to do that by just turning up. Having pre-recorded sections , mixed with a live show, actually takes much longer- he has to be there for the pre-record, probably there for the edit and there for the live mix- so arguably, Steve works harder and for longer than the DJs who just turn up and talk. I don't see the problem, it's still good radio whether he's live or not.
Back to top
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Nickbucks wrote:
I wonder if Steve sits at home listening to his own recorded show ?


I don't think it matters if he does. He has to fill a three hour show. It's actually much easier to do that by just turning up. Having pre-recorded sections , mixed with a live show, actually takes much longer- he has to be there for the pre-record, probably there for the edit and there for the live mix- so arguably, Steve works harder and for longer than the DJs who just turn up and talk. I don't see the problem, it's still good radio whether he's live or not.


I agree Rachel it doesn't have to be live but I disagree that it is good radio
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

undiscovered wrote:
Rachel wrote:
Nickbucks wrote:
I wonder if Steve sits at home listening to his own recorded show ?


I don't think it matters if he does. He has to fill a three hour show. It's actually much easier to do that by just turning up. Having pre-recorded sections , mixed with a live show, actually takes much longer- he has to be there for the pre-record, probably there for the edit and there for the live mix- so arguably, Steve works harder and for longer than the DJs who just turn up and talk. I don't see the problem, it's still good radio whether he's live or not.


I agree Rachel it doesn't have to be live but I disagree that it is good radio


I'm not impressed with the quality of editing of some of the interviews. They lose the natural pace of the guest far too often. That's the problem with editing to a deadline - the quality suffers.

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
That's the problem with editing to a deadline - the quality suffers.


I'd say the problem is more to do with rubbish editing, to be honest.
Back to top
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if he stopped being so sycophantic during interviews and edited so we only hear one voice then it may sound better.

The first time I ever got modded on R2 board was over SW oh this takes me back Laughing
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously you are all talking cobbliers when it comes to Steve.. he clearly is one of the more popliar presenters on what was Radio 2.
However, even I was tempted to throw a brick at the truck radio when he was interviewing Elton (I'm only great in the USA) John this afternoon.. what a ghastly character he is. Full of self praise and "how rich am I?" comments.. makes me seethe!
I mean, what has he actually done of any merit over the last 30 years??
Love the show Steve, with or without a piano...
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we know it was pre-recorded Laughing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ccnwr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuk... Luckily, I managed to get out of the car and back to internet radio before that other waste of space, Jimmy Carr came on.. pushing yet another DVD.. there should be a law against it.
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Steve makes any secret of the fact that some/most of his interviews are recorded, it avoids crowds gathering at BBC towers to catch a glimpse of their idols (sad I know).

I'm sure Steve is live 'til five as he interacts with Sal at 4.55 ish.

Regardless, the show is still very popular, and judging by the recent recruits, god knows who would replace him were he to go Gillian McKeith?

Be careful for what you wish for, better the devil you know.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
Don't think Steve makes any secret of the fact that some/most of his interviews are recorded, it avoids crowds gathering at BBC towers to catch a glimpse of their idols (sad I know).

I'm sure Steve is live 'til five as he interacts with Sal at 4.55 ish.

Regardless, the show is still very popular, and judging by the recent recruits, god knows who would replace him were he to go Gillian McKeith?

Be careful for what you wish for, better the devil you know.....


She faints too much. Laughing


Last edited by mark occomore on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She does what Mark Confused
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
She fants too much.


Are we playing scrabble? I don't think that word's allowed. What does it mean?
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I like his own personal jingles, have done over the years, and the station ones. Does anyone think he plays too many in his show?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Although I like his own personal jingles, have done over the years, and the station ones. Does anyone think he plays too many in his show?


He does too many shows.
Back to top
Angela W



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 6867
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the oldies today, some of them were hits before I was born!
_________________
Pirate Johnnie Walker played my request on 11 April 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18163
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were superb Angela!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com