R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chris Evans Drivetime - The Plus Points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnump

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Chris Evans Drivetime - The Plus Points Reply with quote

As requested by John W, I will be giving the reasons why I enjoy the Chris Evans Drivetime show. All the reasons I give are merely my opinion and I understand that a lot of you will disagree with the points but when you respond please approach it sensibly rather than just slagging him off.

I will be using todays show (14/04/2008) as my example show and refering to it in parts.

1- When I listen to the show I always feel a part of it and that I am part of a larger community of regular listeners. This isn't something which I get from other R2 shows. Alongside this is the interactivity with the audience. This adds so much to the show through the range of listeners and the way in which Evans interacts with them.

2- The other presenters of the show mix very well with Evans which produces often very funny moments. The other people present interesting bulletins (Rebecca Pike's business slot). Ok they aren't on par with the Today show but you don't want that intense stuff if you tune into this show. It's light hearted enough which I think works well.

3- The music. Obviously I don't like all that is played but generally it hits the right notes (excuse the rubbish pun) for the time of day. I am probably pretty odd because I often go running to the first hour of the show and the music keeps me going.

4- It is easy to listen to. You don't have to concentrate much at all to get what's going on. You can dip in and out if you want to and not feel out of touch. It may be a little corny at times but to me it is entertaining. Evans has surprisingly reasonable humour which can be slighty risque at times which I love!

5- Evans comes across as honest on the show. He often talks about the divorce and his years when he truly was an ar*****e. He can take fellow presenters mocking him. I always feel like it is a human sort of show because it is rarely slick and well finished which I think adds to the show. There are moments when things go wrong and he plays the wrong jingle or generally cocks up but he doesn't let it fluster him and laughs through it which again I think adds to the show. For instance today the starting jingle didn't play but he used that to set up the theme for the first hour. He will often run with something that happens unexpectedly and make it a part of that show. If anybody listened to the show where the record library failed and Evans went through the whole shows using just 2 "Best of the 70's" CD's. It was classic stuff but I think many other DJ's would have tried to smooth it over and use the music rushed in by the producers. But Evans took the failure of the system and made a whole show of it.

So there are my thoughts on why Chris Evans Drivetime show is good.

There is one aspect of the show which I do intensely dislike - the Womans Minute thing (Ladies, Ladies, Ladies!) I couldn't give 2 tits as to what some random lady is doing tonight after getting off the M25. Get rid of that section!

Please discuss!!
tarahrah bomdiay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, I don't listen to Chris much usually because I tend to listen to radio 4 at that time of day to catch up on the news.
That said I do quite like him, he seems genuine and I think that for all his past failings he is a decent bloke.
I wish he was a bit quieter though, he seems to shout a lot but I think a large part of that is because his enthusiasim gets the better of him.

Good post, welcome to the forum
Barkingbiker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the only plus point about the CE Driveltime is when he is on holiday!

BB Twisted Evil
Helen May

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way BB.

Some reason's I don't listen. I can't stand his voice full stop and I hate being shouted at.

IMO the show is aimed at Radio 1 age group not Radio 2.

I occasionally get in the car and the radio comes on in the middle of a track forgetting that it's Evans, a few minutes later the radio is switched off.

H

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Barkingbiker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
I feel the same way BB.

Some reason's I don't listen. I can't stand his voice full stop and I hate being shouted at.

IMO the show is aimed at Radio 1 age group not Radio 2.

I occasionally get in the car and the radio comes on in the middle of a track forgetting that it's Evans, a few minutes later the radio is switched off.

H

Hi H,
It's good to know I am not alone.

BB Twisted Evil
Lord Evan Elpuss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pictogame.com/play/game/2jSr5fAi7avd_western-kick-girl

I've still got to beat 2,698. If you get enough extra kicks & boot him hard enough, he goes past the moon!! Shocked

Ian Robinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all good points, and would consider myself a fan of Evans too (especially compared to the rest of this board Wink ).

But... when he came back after Easter and just started shouting and playing The Waltons theme again and again I just decided I couldn't be bothered. The whole show seems so tired and predictable (when he played random TV themes it was better but now seems, well, ho-hum) and he's devoid of anything to say.

I can still enjoy the show, but I have to be in the mood. At the end of a long working day, he's just another annoyance. But maybe that's my problem and not his! Wink
johnump

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:

I've still got to beat 2,698. If you get enough extra kicks & boot him hard enough, he goes past the moon!! Shocked

A good well thought through reply to the points raised Rolling Eyes
John W

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks johnump for you appreciative message to Chris Evans.

The challenge, though, always was to pick A show, one drivetime show, listen to it all and list the plus points. That way other members could use the iPlayer to check out those points and offer their responses. Smile

John W
Lord Evan Elpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnump wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:

A good well thought through reply to the points raised Rolling Eyes

Glad you liked it! I don't listen to him, so can't really comment on your reasoning. In fact radio-wise, much of my life seems to be spent avoiding him! Like many of Douglas' recent signings, the trailers are enough to warn me off listening to a whole show. But if you enjoy him, however much I may not understand how anyone could, it's allowed and doesn't, in itself, make anyone a bad person. I do find the game therapeutic after a hard day at work, especially when he flies past the moon!

Last edited by Lord Evan Elpuss on Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
igs007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with pretty much every point that was made in favour (the obvious exception being that people may feel connected with the show, more or less a given), and I'll list my reasons another time.

First, does anyone know where I could get a copy (mp3, cd etc) of a Johnnie Walker drivetime show, say 2004/5?

Then , for argument's sake, I'll present my comparison critique!!! Smile
Rachel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the Dark Lord to one side for a moment (not out of arms reach though) cos it's a given that Alex has the very best show on the planet. Chris' show is pretty swish. It's very similar to when I used to work abroad, and a crowd of us would go out on the raz , then have the most fun ever in the back of a white knuckle fast black, back to the accommodation area. In the morning you couldn't remember why you had such a good time - you just know you did. Smile Drivetime is like that. I do like womens' minute but I can never be bothered to find somewhere to park and ring in - who does that?
Arcader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two main bugbears with Evans are:

a) HE SHOUTS TOO MUCH ! ! !
b) He constantly 'crashes' tracks, either interrupting in the middle, cutting them over a minute short, or talking far too much at the start. I'm sure this is getting worse too - often lately I've been enjoying a track and the silly t*t barges in far too early. This ticks me off so much I bung a CD on instead.
Behind Geddon's Wall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to echo the sentiments of the last poster.

You simply mustn't blame yourself -- the days were perfect
And so were exactly what I was born to spoil
For I am the Rider to the World's End
Bound across the cinder causeway
From the furnace to the quarry
Through the fields of oil
Gnasty Gnome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dito from me. The only good thing I've ever found about Evans on drivetime is that it never lasts for more than two hours, and it's usually on when I'm busy at work so don't often get to listen; in fact the same problem that was the only BAD thing about JW presenting the show!
igs007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Arcader.

Here's another one for your list:-

c)The (pushing it too far) general 'cheesiness' of the show now. Sure, I know it's Chris Evans, but the whole show revolves around his cheesy ego, from the feature slots that used to sometimes be informative and are now just played for laughs (every other minute it's Evans screaming 'Wow!' or 'How about that!'), to the music, as mentioned above. The tv tunes and all that seemed good at the start, but now it's repetitive. Same goes for the request Friday, predictable playlist. Look at last night:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/evans/tracklist/friday.shtml

There's having fun on radio, and then there's Chris Evans. I can't see how this show lightens up the day.
nod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally an excellent show presented by a genuine guy Very Happy
OK he can be a bit loud, just turn your radio down Wink
Arcader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:

But I then have to turn it up when the oik stops talking ......... anyhow, how will that help with him interrupting and cutting tracks way too short?
Lord Evan Elpuss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn him off, a far better option I find. Why can't I get him past 2,698 on this? Crying or Very sad http://www.pictogame.com/play/game/2jSr5fAi7avd_western-kick-girl
nod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcader wrote:
nod wrote:

But I then have to turn it up when the oik stops talking ......... anyhow, how will that help with him interrupting and cutting tracks way too short?

Just turn the volume down to 0 if you don't like him that much. Very Happy
Arcader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why didn't I think of that .................
mark occomore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nod wrote:
Normally an excellent show presented by a genuine guy Very Happy

True, but it's not my Volume which is the problem. Laughing
SantaFefan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the hand, switch to Planet Rock and turn the volume UP! Razz Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: