R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Rock??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SantaFefan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Planet Rock?? Reply with quote

So whilst half asleep this morning, did I hear on the tv news that Planet Rock and The Jazz are to close?
I hope not otherwise I'll have to find another alternative to Drivetime.. Sad
Ian Robinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it:

(Report from Radio Today)

Xfm stations outside London have been put up for sale by GCap Media today, as announced in Fru Hazlitt's new set of cost-cutting measures for the company. Also announced, as expected, the new chief executive is to close theJazz and Planet Rock and dispose of the Digital One multiplex.

Of course, these changes may never happen if Global Radio's second takeover attempt is successful, for which they have until March 5th to produce. Otherwise if the stations are not disposed of by March 31st 2008, GCap will hand back the licences to Ofcom. Discussions are currently taking place regarding their sale.

Fru Hazlitt also announced today that Capital 95.8 is to dump the 'no more than two ads in a row' policy, increasing inventory to meet demand from advertisers. "Capital 95.8 will have a new flexible inventory policy with up to nine minutes of advertising per hour and we plan to dispose of our interest in Digital One, reflecting our view that DAB is not an economically viable platform for the Company."

Fru has announced the changes in bid to deliver improvements to profits and operating margins. "GCap Media will become a leaner and more dynamic company focused on maximising the revenue and profit potential of five key brands on FM and broadband, the platforms that we believe consumers want and which offer the greatest growth opportunities."

Xfm London will stay with GCap Media whilst their shareholding in the Digital One multiplex will be sold to Arqiva for a nominal fee. The only GCap station left on the multiplex will be Classic FM.

These changes are a radical reversal from former GCap boss Ralph Bernard who saw digital radio as the future, and who was proud of GCap's developments on the medium and introducing unique brands such as theJazz. Just 18 months ago he announced to the city: "As digital radio sales reach the three million mark, I am pleased that not only has Planet Rock been voted Sony Digital Station of the Year but new presenters such as Rick Wakeman have helped the station achieve record reach and share. Planet Rock is a future star of UK radio and one to watch in the GCap portfolio."
Lord Evan Elpuss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Planet Rock?? Reply with quote

SantaFefan wrote:
So whilst half asleep this morning, did I hear on the tv news that Planet Rock and The Jazz are to close?
I hope not otherwise I'll have to find another alternative to Drivetime.. Sad

Isn't Evans on holiday this week? If it does happen, 6 music is ok in the afternoons. It's my refuge from R2's afternoon rubbish.
SantaFefan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only have a problem from 5pm onwards Wink

C'mon Rick Wakeman, buy the station and switch to FM...
RockitRon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like harsh economic reality has kicked in. Planet Rock and thejazz may be very good but they're expensive to run to a niche audience and limited advertising revenue.

Shame, but it will be the second failed attempt at a good jazz station - the earlier incarnation, Jazz FM, is now Smooth Radio Rolling Eyes
gfloyd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
Sounds like harsh economic reality has kicked in. Planet Rock and thejazz may be very good but they're expensive to run to a niche audience and limited advertising revenue.

Shame, but it will be the second failed attempt at a good jazz station - the earlier incarnation, Jazz FM, is now Smooth Radio Rolling Eyes

Cant be that expensive. They were using presenters working for their other stations already eg. Mark Forrest and David Jensen
gfloyd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about this and it seems strange that a station with 563.000 listeners (as Planet Rock had) isn't financially viably. The Jazz also had somewhere north of 300,000 listeners. These are very good figures for a DAB station.

Either GCAP are shooting themselves in the foot massively or there is another agenda. It is difficult to see what the other agenda could be though, other than trying to scupper DAB.

DAB is certainly a flawed technology, but the stations have invested so much money in it that it is a bit late in the day to suddenly realise this. Why not just keep the DAB stations going until a better technology, DRM or satellite radio comes along? At least then you would have some high profile brands to launch on a new platform. Since brands are everything these days, it seems crazy to axe 2 well liked brand names.
mark occomore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is commercial radio opened up too many digital stations to the market with different brands playing different music. It's like Emap opening up radio stations like there magazines. They don't appeal to a big market and are very costly to run. Capital Radio is losing revenue so G-Cap is having to close some of the digital stations to plough money into there Number One branded station. This is what the BBC will be faced with in the future.

I think Capitals Listen to life is going too soon?
Mark Mayhew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sad if Planet Rock folds-however for fans of decent music, great presenters switch your dial to BFBS Radio on DAB.

You will be pleasantly surprised-it's an absolutely fantastic radio station and you DON't have to be in the armed forces to listen/tune in. Give it a go.
mark occomore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mayhew wrote:
Really sad if Planet Rock folds-however for fans of decent music, great presenters switch your dial to BFBS Radio on DAB.

You will be pleasantly surprised-it's an absolutely fantastic radio station and you DON't have to be in the armed forces to listen/tune in. Give it a go.

How much commission are you on to promote BFBS? Laughing
Lord Evan Elpuss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Richard Allinson pays him well or at least buys him a pint!!
Ian Robinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
I hope Richard Allinson... at least buys him a pint!!

He can't do that since he got the restraining order Wink
Mark Mayhew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you guys ever met Richard Allinson in person.

Indeed do any of you tune into BFBS Radio-if you don't then give it a go-you may be pleasently surprised.

Allinson rocks by the way.
mark occomore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: For Sale Reply with quote

As you may have read in the papers, two national digital radio stations have been put up for sale. G Cap Media, one of the UK's big radio groups, is cutting back on its investment in digital radio and the sale of Planet Rock and the jazz is part of its new strategy.

Some parts of the press prematurely suggested that the decision has been taken to close the two stations. That isn't strictly true. Although G Cap says if it can't find buyers then closure would follow, the stations have nearly a million listeners and we're hoping that buyers will emerge. In the meantime, one station continues to rock (and turn the volume up to 11) and the other still invites you into the cool.

From Digital One:
RockitRon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, as has already been reported in your thread in the Coffee Bar, Helen Mayhew is moving across to Classic FM to present a two-hour programme of jazz at the dead of each night, so don't hold your breath.

I notice other digital stations have also recently gone AWOL, in particular Oneword, and there has been a cull of the music channels on cable/satellite TV, most notably Classic FM-TV.
gfloyd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested (if not please just ignore Wink )

Planet Rock has been given a further one month reprieve to find a buyer. It looks likely that it will do so quite quickly & continue in more or less its present form.

Thejazz still closes on 31/03/08 but here is some good news for jazz fans in London & the North West anyway (if you have DAB that is!)

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/smoothfmformat/summary/

Quote:
1.1 Ofcom has received a request from GMG to remove the requirement on Smooth Radio in London and the North West (stations broadcasting on both FM and on DAB in their respective regions) to provide 45 hours of jazz programmes a week. In addition GMG wishes to remove the obligation in the North West to play “jazz, soul, blues and R&B” as part of its general output.

1.2 GMG say that if Ofcom approves the change requests it will provide a 24 hour a day jazz service on DAB in London and the North-west.

tarahrah bomdiay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Planet Rock stays open, I like Rick Wakeman's show.
SantaFefan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news if it's true! Razz it's my safe harbour during times of potential stress at 5.05.... Wink

I love to hear Rick Wakeman too, and his dirty jokes! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: