R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defending The Indefensible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3353
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Defending The Indefensible? Reply with quote

I don't think this has been posted elsewhere, and hope it's the right place for it. I was pointed to this artical on another forum: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/11/radio-2-bob-shennan
I'd call that an exercise in defending the indefensible. Something that Politicians are also good at isn't it? It makes me wonder if our Bob has been a politician in a previous life or has ambitions to become one in the next!! And what's with the obsession with Evans? Rolling Eyes
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he says is spot on. Which bits do you disagree with?
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Entertainment shouldn't be a dirty word".

I agree with that. What, to me at least, is questionable is his interpretation of the word "entertainment".

As a leading radio broadcaster, John Peel was immensely entertaining to me, but I have a sneaky feeling that Shennan has something else in mind.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with Radio 2 providing its listeners with 'entertainment' but in my view the entertainment should centre around the music as Radio 2 is essentially a music based station

I would love to have more music quizzes and the like and I also enjoy presenters giving us interesting facts and anecdotes about musical artists and tracks being played

However I have no interest whatsoever in non music related issues such as fifty kids being sent to the Hay Festival because this kind of thing is only of interest if your own child is involved but of very little interest to anyone else - I simply quote that as an example and there are other similar pointless things on other shows

Incidentally, just to digress, I visit Hay on Wye very regularly and the Festival totally ruins what is a beautiful area with hoards of pretentious people clogging up every part of the town
It's far better to go there at any other time than during the ten days of the Festival which probably explains why virtually all the locals who are not running businesses go away for the festival week and rip off these festival herberts by renting out their houses at extortionate prices Laughing
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, Rudds, the fifty kids going to the Hay Festival and other entertainment features that you wouldn’t normally get on a music station are part of the drive to comply with the BBC Trust’s directive to make Radio 2 more distinctive from commercial music stations- something which the listeners (that’s you an me, me and you and us two) told the BBC Trust they wanted. You can’t really knock Radio 2 for doing exactly what they’ve been told to do by the listeners via the BBC Trust. Very compliant I would say. If that doesn’t suit everyone who normally listens, then that shows that the new content is working because the vast majority of listeners want a music station but Radio 2 has to be more diverse than that: it has to appeal to music lovers as well as the Association of Authentic French Polishers, the many Historical Re-enactment Societies and the Darcy Bussell Old Time Formation Dance Ensemble! There is no one size fits all- so it’s inevitable that there will be some programmes or programme content that grates with us music lovers. There are some really weird people out there with really weird tastes- as much as we’d like to mince them all for pie meat we can’t: we actually have to cater for them.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio 2 is not and should never be for kids.

I don't think anymore needs to be said about this kids writing competition.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rachel, I can see what you're saying and I think the management of Radio 2 is rather constrained by what the BBC Trust has to say on such issues

However I think Radio 2 is already sufficiently distinctive from commercial rivals without having to go any further. After all Radio 2 has;

1 No Adverts
2 Generally better presenters despite recent dumming down
3 Existing specialist minority programming every evening and extra hours at weekends
4 A much wider playlist than most of its rivals
5 Better coverage of news and current affairs

As far as I am concerned because of these facts alone the remit is fulfilled and the network should start thinking more about its regular audience rather than those who choose to listen only once in a blue moon
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
To be fair, Rudds, the fifty kids going to the Hay Festival and other entertainment features that you wouldn’t normally get on a music station are part of the drive to comply with the BBC Trust’s directive to make Radio 2 more distinctive from commercial music stations- something which the listeners (that’s you an me, me and you and us two) told the BBC Trust they wanted.


It sounds to me like the "Hay" thing was merely another vehicle by which Captain Knobbo could inflate his already-massive ego.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
Radio 2 is not and should never be for kids.

I don't think anymore needs to be said about this kids writing competition.

H


Not sure about that, Helen. Families include children- so family shows should include something for children- even if it's just playing Nelly The Elephant now and again. It's really only the Breakfast Show and Drivetime that are affected.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Yes Rachel, I can see what you're saying and I think the management of Radio 2 is rather constrained by what the BBC Trust has to say on such issues

However I think Radio 2 is already sufficiently distinctive from commercial rivals without having to go any further. After all Radio 2 has;

1 No Adverts
2 Generally better presenters despite recent dumming down
3 Existing specialist minority programming every evening and extra hours at weekends
4 A much wider playlist than most of its rivals
5 Better coverage of news and current affairs

As far as I am concerned because of these facts alone the remit is fulfilled and the network should start thinking more about its regular audience rather than those who choose to listen only once in a blue moon


I agree, Rudds, but the BBC Trust don't, and they're the ones with the big stick.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Helen May wrote:
Radio 2 is not and should never be for kids.

I don't think anymore needs to be said about this kids writing competition.

H


Not sure about that, Helen. Families include children- so family shows should include something for children- even if it's just playing Nelly The Elephant now and again. It's really only the Breakfast Show and Drivetime that are affected.


Maybe you're not sure, but I'm sure!

I've had enough of kids being rammed down my neck when I pay BBC licence money for an adult radio station. Making it child inclusive is tantamount in targeting children in the listening group in my book.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
Rachel wrote:
Helen May wrote:
Radio 2 is not and should never be for kids.

I don't think anymore needs to be said about this kids writing competition.

H


Not sure about that, Helen. Families include children- so family shows should include something for children- even if it's just playing Nelly The Elephant now and again. It's really only the Breakfast Show and Drivetime that are affected.


Maybe you're not sure, but I'm sure!

I've had enough of kids being rammed down my neck when I pay BBC licence money for an adult radio station. Making it child inclusive is tantamount in targeting children in the listening group in my book.

H


So you wouldn’t want to hear any muisc by Musical Youth, Hanson , early Michael Jackson, Shirley Temple a young Jimmy Osmond and many more… Aled Jones! Children are part of our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE
Back to top
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
So you wouldn’t want to hear any muisc by Musical Youth, Hanson , early Michael Jackson, Shirley Temple a young Jimmy Osmond and many more… Aled Jones!

Can't speak for Helen, but I'd be very happy if none of those were ever played on Radio 2 again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d not realised this place was so misanthropic. The world would be a great place, wouldn't it, if wasn’t for all those other people!
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, your comment reminds me of a former work colleague back in the 80s who used to constantly moan about his job and used to regularly say;

'This whole lawyer thing would be great if it wasn't for the bloody clients'

Mind you if there was only us on here left in the country I bet we could do a better job than what we have now - and Radio 2 would be absolutely perfect Very Happy
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
I’d not realised this place was so misanthropic. The world would be a great place, wouldn't it, if wasn’t for all those other people!


Radio 2 (along with many other Brtish radio stations) would be a lot better if the bulk of the content weren't so banal!
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Rachel wrote:
I’d not realised this place was so misanthropic. The world would be a great place, wouldn't it, if wasn’t for all those other people!


Radio 2 (along with many other Brtish radio stations) would be a lot better if the bulk of the content weren't so banal!


If every licence payer in the UK sent in a track request to Radio 2 (assuming 25 million Licence Payers and each track is 5 minutes) it would take nearly 238 years to get through them all! So I reckon if you hear just one track that you like in your lifetime , you’re doing pretty well, if you actually get a request played before you die, then you’ve beat the clock!
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
If every licence payer in the UK sent in a track request to Radio 2 (assuming 25 million Licence Payers and each track is 5 minutes) it would take nearly 238 years to get through them all! So I reckon if you hear just one track that you like in your lifetime , you’re doing pretty well, if you actually get a request played before you die, then you’ve beat the clock!


I'm not talking about "tracks" specifically (I have thousands of those in my iTunes collection that would play forever if I let them) - I'm talking about the general banality of presentation content and style.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not an "Affable DJ" app you can get? Then you wouldn't need radio at all. Smile
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Helen May wrote:
Rachel wrote:
Helen May wrote:
Radio 2 is not and should never be for kids.

I don't think anymore needs to be said about this kids writing competition.

H


Not sure about that, Helen. Families include children- so family shows should include something for children- even if it's just playing Nelly The Elephant now and again. It's really only the Breakfast Show and Drivetime that are affected.


Maybe you're not sure, but I'm sure!

I've had enough of kids being rammed down my neck when I pay BBC licence money for an adult radio station. Making it child inclusive is tantamount in targeting children in the listening group in my book.

H


So you wouldn’t want to hear any muisc by Musical Youth, Hanson , early Michael Jackson, Shirley Temple a young Jimmy Osmond and many more… Aled Jones! Children are part of our lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE


Most of them I wouldn't but we aren't talking about music here, it's the fact that programme content is aimed at children. Children aren't part of my life anymore either.

Years ago Radio 2 was not child oriented so why on earth does it have to be now?

Answer - because they are lowering the target audience age by the back door. John Dunn on Drivetime wouldn't have had a spot for kids nor should he have had one. Wogan/Brian Hayes/Jameson wouldn't have had one on Breakfast during the corresponding era either. So it's all bloody Evans' fault, as usual, and there is no getting away from it as it started when he came on Drivetime.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005


Last edited by Helen May on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel,

Radio 2 is NOT for kids. Isn't Radio 1 for them? Please please can we not keep ONE adult radio station at the BBC, for adult music, adult humour and adult discussion, please.

Rachel wrote:
If every licence payer in the UK sent in a track request to Radio 2 (assuming 25 million Licence Payers and each track is 5 minutes) it would take nearly 238 years to get through them all! So I reckon if you hear just one track that you like in your lifetime , you’re doing pretty well


and you've got all THAT wrong too Rachel, hearing one's request one would be doing pretty well IF there were 25 million requests, yeah. The fact is there might only be 25,000 or even 2500. That's why so many folk who DO send in requests DO hear them! Rolling Eyes

The number of people who actually interact with radio is quite small. there must be figures somewhere to show this, though the Beeb rarely admit it

Though when they closed the Radio 4 messageboards recently it was admitted that there were less than 350 regular contributors, yes, out of millions just 350. I expect the R2 boards were similar.
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Is there not an "Affable DJ" app you can get? Then you wouldn't need radio at all. Smile


Well, of course, we're getting quite close to it aren't we? (No thanks to the blandness of the majority of the UK's broadcast audio channels).

I like intelligent comments, snippets of info, things I haven't heard before, music I haven't heard before (or haven't heard for years), anecdotes that are new to me by a broadcaster whose professionalism I trust and respect. I like to be "entertained" in a manner that doesn't insult my intelligence of patronise me. That - to me at least - is what radio broadcasting is all about.

Alex Lester is a very good example of the above and I would be more than happy if he were to broadcast at times that suited me; unfortunately, we're being subjected to a presentation style that is none of the above and which neither interests me nor entertains me in the slightest. The fact that Lester is tethered to the graveyard shift (whether or not he likes to be there) speaks volumes for the management of BBC Radio 2 - and perhaps even BBC Radio in general. Banality is king. Long live banality.

As I have mentioned on more than a few occasions, there's actually a wealth of alternative sources of listening that does conform to the above. It's a pity it's less accessible than Radio 2's predominantly FM output channels but in a relatively short time even that will change - and then the station really must take a close look at where it's at, because at the moment it's in a mess.
Back to top
Barty



Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the articles in question - old Bob sure does talk a load of bollox. Smile

Sorry, got a stinking cold right now so not in the mood to launch into a critical analysis of his predictable and inane marketing guff, all I can say is that he should have stuck to his old job of being a tea boy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trying to build a new schedule around the old one, and trying out new voices. There are only a few Gems Mr Shennan has mentioned. Shame the other half seem to have a celebrity connection, but there isn't a problem about that according to the article, but some beleive it's turning into a TV soap opera without pictures.. Lets not tarnish all for that, because most have Radio and Music knowledge, but there is a lot who know nothing about Music, but are hired at a licence fee cost... ( Sorry - £19 Million year on content )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Great Gildersleeve



Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 249
Location: North East England

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like variety...sure play music we are familiar with but please mix it with some items we may not know but might like if we did.

That can also mean playing some artists that are well known but lets hear some of the material that was not in the charts or the same handful that are chosen.

If you ask for requests its a fair bet the same few titles come up all the time.

I know that from my time in hospital radio and what I have heard professional presenters play.

A local programme of older music on Sunday afternoons plays requests and some tunes come up again and again but luckily the presenter slips in some music that isn't heard too often if at all by me.

John W wrote:
Rachel,

Radio 2 is NOT for kids. Isn't Radio 1 for them? Please please can we not keep ONE adult radio station at the BBC, for adult music, adult humour and adult discussion, please.

Rachel wrote:
If every licence payer in the UK sent in a track request to Radio 2 (assuming 25 million Licence Payers and each track is 5 minutes) it would take nearly 238 years to get through them all! So I reckon if you hear just one track that you like in your lifetime , you’re doing pretty well


and you've got all THAT wrong too Rachel, hearing one's request one would be doing pretty well IF there were 25 million requests, yeah. The fact is there might only be 25,000 or even 2500. That's why so many folk who DO send in requests DO hear them! Rolling Eyes

The number of people who actually interact with radio is quite small. there must be figures somewhere to show this, though the Beeb rarely admit it

Though when they closed the Radio 4 messageboards recently it was admitted that there were less than 350 regular contributors, yes, out of millions just 350. I expect the R2 boards were similar.


ruddlescat wrote:
I think the management of Radio 2 is rather constrained by what the BBC Trust has to say on such issues

However I think Radio 2 is already sufficiently distinctive from commercial rivals without having to go any further. After all Radio 2 has;

1 No Adverts
2 Generally better presenters despite recent dumming down
3 Existing specialist minority programming every evening and extra hours at weekends
4 A much wider playlist than most of its rivals
5 Better coverage of news and current affairs

As far as I am concerned because of these facts alone the remit is fulfilled and the network should start thinking more about its regular audience rather than those who choose to listen only once in a blue moon


Helen May wrote:

Years ago Radio 2 was not child oriented so why on earth does it have to be now?

Answer - because they are lowering the target audience age by the back door. John Dunn on Drivetime wouldn't have had a spot for kids nor should he have had one. Wogan/Brian Hayes/Jameson wouldn't have had one on Breakfast during the corresponding era either. So it's all bloody Evans' fault, as usual, and there is no getting away from it as it started when he came on Drivetime.
H


I think I can agree 100% with all the above...

Similar complaints are being expressed at the closure and change of style at BBC Radio 7 now BBC Radio 4 Extra...

And to be honest changes at Radio 5 under Bob's stewardship were expressed in quite a negative way by listeners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3353
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Which bits do you disagree with?

A fair bit of it! Leaving aside Shennan's obvious obsession with Chris Evans (Is he the only presenter on Radio 2? Oh, I've just noticed he also mentions Steve Wright & Simon Mayo so there's at least three presenters on 2!) Where's the need for a Children's writing competition on Radio 2? That sort of thing is (or should be) the preserve of stations like Radio 4 or dedicated childrens stations. If other stations are not doing this it's probably because it's not in their remit.
Not really sure about the Drivetime book club either as this seems to be another feature more suited to talk stations like Radio 4.
I'd also question why Shennan's hero Evans played 6 Matt Monro tracks in one show. Surely you would normally only do such a thing in a documentary dedicated to a particular artist.
'Shennan rejected suggestions that he was chasing a younger audience'
I assume he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he made that assertion. All his actions thus far seem to me to suggest the exact opposite. Even 5 years ago (when Lesley Douglas was at the helm) I was listening to Radio 2 more than I do nowadays, but probably not as much as 10 years ago (The Jim Moir era - Why did he retire when he did?) when I'd have had R2 on pretty much all day, except Sundays, that would have because the music content wasn't really me, but I accept that our leader John W would have an opposing view. To be brutally honest, I've nothing against the music of the 1930s/40s and can enjoy it every so often just not for a whole day!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the reason Radio 2 would give for having "childrens content" such as the writing competition or Homework Sucks is that the majority of listeners are parents of young/teenage children - hence the recent parenting week.

Not saying it's right, but I think they're aiming primarily at parents rather than children.

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
Not really sure about the Drivetime book club either as this seems to be another feature more suited to talk stations like Radio 4.

It's something Mayo has brought over from his Radio 5 show and I think it's fine, especially being one of the few things he's actually changed from Evans' day (but then, I liked it on Radio 5).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aviddiva



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 1135
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Defending the indefensible? Reply with quote

Shennan D'oh has a bloody nerve to talk about the book club on Simon Mayo's show when Lynn Parsons had been doing a good job with that on Sunday mornings.

The pandering to kids through Evans's show must be compensation for BBC 7 (now Radio 4 Extra) losing the Little Toe/Big Toe/Cbeebies content.
_________________
We are loonies and we are proud!

- Campbell Bain in 'Takin' Over The Asylum'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3415
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Defending the indefensible? Reply with quote

aviddiva wrote:
Shennan D'oh has a bloody nerve to talk about the book club on Simon Mayo's show when Lynn Parsons had been doing a good job with that on Sunday mornings.

As I said, Mayo's been doing it for years on his show on 5Live. Long before Parsons even had a show on Radio 2 Sunday mornings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3353
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a problem with me, but it just seems to be a bit of a square peg in a round hole type thing on what is basically a music show (same for the breakfast show, this is a music show too) Isn't 5 live is another speech based station, though more sport oriented than R4?
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh! Where to start? I’ll start with you, John:

You’re right Radio 2 isn’t for Children but nor is Radio 1- I certainly wouldn’t let Children under eleven listen to Chris Moyles. Why should Radio 2 be only for adults? Should Radio 2 listeners with children lock them in the wash-house at Breakfast time and tea time so adults can listen to adult radio while they’re getting the kids up for school or getting their tea ready? Perhaps you mean people with children shouldn’t listen to Radio 2 at all.
I think you’ll find that my maths wrt listeners and requests is accurate, the point of that post was to illustrate that there are a lot of people out there – whom pay for Radio 2: being one of the few sending in the odd request and interacting with a publicly funded radio station doesn’t make your opinion on how it should be run any more significant than any of the other 25 million people whom pay for it.

The BBC Trust, (as I said in a earlier post carried out a survey last year, it was trumpeted on here as a chance to have your say), have given Radio 2 a nudge or two following that survey- the changes at Radio 2 are as a direct result of what “the people” wanted. If it’s not what you want then maybe there is another BBC station that would be more to your liking. There was a chap a wee while back whom said, before you can lead, you must first learn to follow, which boils down to, it’s much easier to lead people where they want to go: that is exactly what Bob Shennan is doing.


LEE, you say ten years ago that you were listening to Radio 2 a lot more- well twenty years ago I was listening to Radio 1, as I grew older Radio 1 wasn’t for me anymore so I got off the Radio 1 bus and then got on the Radio 2 bus instead, I’m assuming that as I get older the same thing will happen again: perhaps this is your stop. People are like radio stations; they change and grow- cos if we don’t change, we don’t grow and if we don’t grow, we are already dead.

I think the whole there shouldn’t be any children on Radio 2 thing is just plain mean-spirited and selfish.

Sometimes we have to tolerate the things we don’t like in order to enjoy those things that blow our dislikes into the weeds.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Shennan is trying to provide something for everyone. It an't going to please everyone who listens to the station. At the end of the day. You an't going to hear Alan Titchmarsh presenting breakfast, let alone David Jacobs presenting Drivetime. I can't see Commercial Radio providing a service what Radio 2 does...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Bob Shennan is trying to provide something for everyone. It an't going to please everyone who listens to the station.


You're doing a sterling job in support of Mr. Shennan, Mark (and I hope he rewards you accordingly) but the perception by a lot of people is that he is making more bad decisions than good ones. Of course no controller is going to "please everyone" because that's impossible, but he's certainly succeeding in alienating a large propertion of R2's listenership for the sake of attracting "new" listeners than I can remember happening before.

Things came to a head when Ms. Douglas employed that insufferable idiot Evans to Drivetime and it's gone downhill from there.

The bulk of R2's daytime output is now dire, in my opinion, and that's why I listen to alternatives - many of which are not just a bit better, but MUCH better.
Back to top
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3353
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:

LEE, you say ten years ago that you were listening to Radio 2 a lot more- well twenty years ago I was listening to Radio 1, as I grew older Radio 1 wasn’t for me anymore so I got off the Radio 1 bus and then got on the Radio 2 bus instead, I’m assuming that as I get older the same thing will happen again: perhaps this is your stop. People are like radio stations; they change and grow- cos if we don’t change, we don’t grow and if we don’t grow, we are already dead.

Twenty years ago I would have been listening to Radio 1, and so I did until Matthew Bannister evicted me (I'd guess it was the same for you) Then, like you I moved over to Radio 2. Yes, the same thing does seem to be happening again. Lesley Douglas and now Bob Shennan seem to be driving me away from Radio 2, but unlike last time there doesn't seem to be a natural replacement!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
but the perception by a lot of people


Name just 50 of them.
Back to top
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barty wrote:
old Bob sure does talk a load of bollox. Smile


But not half as much as is talked in this thread, and message board as a whole.

I don't get this obsession with age.

Radio 2, and the Light Programme which came before it, has always been and should continue to be the nation's premier popular music and light entertainment radio channel.

On the evidence of the audience figures, in the face of all the attempts by the commercial sector to merge, consolidate and provide a credible national alternative, it still fulfils that brief and millions, as opposed to the couple of hundred grousers who fill message boards and complain to the BBC Trust, are happy with it.

The Great Gildersleeve wrote:
I like variety...sure play music we are familiar with but please mix it with some items we may not know but might like if we did.

That can also mean playing some artists that are well known but lets hear some of the material that was not in the charts or the same handful that are chosen.

If you ask for requests its a fair bet the same few titles come up all the time.

I know that from my time in hospital radio and what I have heard professional presenters play.


So far so good

John W wrote:
Rachel,

Radio 2 is NOT for kids. Isn't Radio 1 for them? Please please can we not keep ONE adult radio station at the BBC, for adult music, adult humour and adult discussion, please.


Radio 2 is not specifically for "kids", but why should it exclude them, particularly at breakfast time, which is the one time in the day when the family is nominally all together and when television comes (a distant) second? And no, Radio 1 is not for them, not the pre-teenagers anyway. Would you want your children/grandchildren to listen to Chris Moyles and the stuff Radio 1 pumps out?

As for the adult (or serious) discussion, that's what Radio 4 is for. And the adult humour isn't allowed because children might be listening. We'd all love Alex Lester to come out of the graveyard, but he'd be like a fish out of water. He's a pro and can deliver anything, anytime, but it wouldn't be "no-one else, nowhere else" - and not nearly as much fun.

John W wrote:
Rachel wrote:
If every licence payer in the UK sent in a track request to Radio 2 (assuming 25 million Licence Payers and each track is 5 minutes) it would take nearly 238 years to get through them all! So I reckon if you hear just one track that you like in your lifetime , you’re doing pretty well


and you've got all THAT wrong too Rachel, hearing one's request one would be doing pretty well IF there were 25 million requests, yeah. The fact is there might only be 25,000 or even 2500. That's why so many folk who DO send in requests DO hear them! Rolling Eyes

The number of people who actually interact with radio is quite small. there must be figures somewhere to show this, though the Beeb rarely admit it

Though when they closed the Radio 4 messageboards recently it was admitted that there were less than 350 regular contributors, yes, out of millions just 350. I expect the R2 boards were similar.


Less than that.
Rachel's was a hypothetical point. Actually, as GG intimated above, if all 25 million licence-fee payers wrote in for their favourite track the chances are that the same ones would be requested - you might have less than a year's worth. (I think Radio 1 has one request show - I heard it when in son's car one time. The requested songs were very conservative, almost nothing that could not be played on R2, compared to what they normally play)

ruddlescat wrote:
I think the management of Radio 2 is rather constrained by what the BBC Trust has to say on such issues

However I think Radio 2 is already sufficiently distinctive from commercial rivals without having to go any further. After all Radio 2 has;

1 No Adverts
2 Generally better presenters despite recent dumming down Laughing
3 Existing specialist minority programming every evening and extra hours at weekends
4 A much wider playlist than most of its rivals
5 Better coverage of news and current affairs

As far as I am concerned because of these facts alone the remit is fulfilled and the network should start thinking more about its regular audience rather than those who choose to listen only once in a blue moon


Agreed. As I said, the audience as a whole seems happy. Stop tinkering around with a winning formula just to pander to a tiny minority.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
LEE, you say ten years ago that you were listening to Radio 2 a lot more- well twenty years ago I was listening to Radio 1, as I grew older Radio 1 wasn’t for me anymore so I got off the Radio 1 bus and then got on the Radio 2 bus instead, I’m assuming that as I get older the same thing will happen again: perhaps this is your stop.


Which bus will you get next Rachel? As far as I can see there's not a lot of choice.

LEE's listening habits seem to be the same as mine in that 10 years ago I listened to Radio 2 far more than I do now.

Rachel wrote:
I think the whole there shouldn’t be any children on Radio 2 thing is just plain mean-spirited and selfish.


Why should a station with an age remit of 35+ have to cater for children? I'm not after 'adult' content but I don't want shows to have spots aimed specifically at children. Why is it impossible these days for a child to entertain themselves? They've got to have their every moment filled for them. Maybe they could use there imagination for half.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there must be at least 50 people on this forum alone Rachel who would fit the description applied by Colin

On the point which was made about moving from Radio One to Radio Two I have to slightly disagree with some recent comments

When I stopped listening to Radio One in or about 1994 having been evicted by the dreadful Bannister idiot there was really nowhere for me and others like me to go because at that time Radio 2 was still stuck in the 1950's under the stewardship of Frances Line

Clearly when the changes were made to Radio One she should have recruited people like DLT and Simon Bates and Gary Davies for Radio Two so former Radio One listeners would still be able to enjoy their treasured shows and there would have been a sense of proper continuity

Frances Line being a complete idiot failed to realise this and as a result many people like me became extremely annoyed and very grumpy

People transferring from Radio One today simply do not have the same problems but listeners being forced out of Radio Two have limited options until such time as every station has better national coverage

I'm lucky because where I live I can receive a fair range of stations and I can also listen on line or via my Skybox but this is not the case with everyone and Shennan needs to have a complete rethink (or even better brain transplant) as far as I can see
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
Which bus will you get next Rachel? As far as I can see there's not a lot of choice.

Why should a station with an age remit of 35+ have to cater for children? I'm not after 'adult' content but I don't want shows to have spots aimed specifically at children. Why is it impossible these days for a child to entertain themselves? They've got to have their every moment filled for them. Maybe they could use there imagination for half.

H


Are you saying that people over 35 aren’t interested in children or what they have to say? Many of the children’s features are very entertaining in their own right to everyone not just children. A while back on the Breakfast Show, what are you doing for the first time today slot, there was a girl on there aged 7 I think, and when Chris said to her, will you come back tomorrow and tell us all about it, she said, in the most matter of fact way and with a perfect cut glass accent, “of course I will!”. I’m still laughing now. Brilliant.

My next bus is most likely to be BBC Radio Solent and a tartan blanket for my knees.
Back to top
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18066
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which takes us back to the remit for the BBC Ruddles in that they are supposed to cater for all about 35 during the main part of the day, whose lives don't end at 60-65!

Why do they assume you will want to listen speech radio (4 or 5) or suddenly develop a taste in classical music so switch to Radio 3?

We've said this before but it's basically what the problem is. They should raise the age remit for Radio 2, and make 1 Extra the stepping stone between the 1 and 2.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> News and Current Affairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com