R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Allinson On Early Breakfast Duty W/C 13th August
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
R2Icon wrote:
I much prefered it after he'd been sacked and went to Radio Oxford or wherever it was. Why they let him back on 2, I'll never know. They obviously couldn't find anyone willing to do weekend nights and I suppose for him, a middle of the night, when no one listens show, on national radio, strokes the ego more than a daytime show on regional radio does, so that's why he does it.


It's fair to say that our expectations differ, Rachel, and partly explains why much of R2's output (not to mention a significant proportion of its presenters) is now so unattractive to me. I expect a presenter to talk to me rather than at me - but unfortunately the fashion seems to be for the latter.

I think your last comment is a bit unfair, I have to say, especially with your reference to stroking egos; I can think of one gobby presenter whose ego has to be massaged 24/7 in order for him to function!


It would appear that we like different things, Colin. Honesty though, can never be unfair, brutal at times, perhaps, but not unfair.

I agree that some presenters are over-exposed. One in particular must feel like he's the star in the real-life Trueman Show. I worry about that.

Itís not healthy for everyone to know everything about you: itís a bit like giving away your life; the trouble comes when you want it back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
It would appear that we like different things, Colin. Honesty though, can never be unfair, brutal at times, perhaps, but not unfair.


No. In this instance it's definitely unfair. In my opinion it really isn't justified. But hey....

R2Icon wrote:
I agree that some presenters are over-exposed. One in particular must feel like he's the star in the real-life Trueman Show. I worry about that.


Oh I don't know - I've become quite adept at avoiding Chris Evans.
Back to top
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
R2Icon wrote:
It would appear that we like different things, Colin. Honesty though, can never be unfair, brutal at times, perhaps, but not unfair.


No. In this instance it's definitely unfair. In my opinion it really isn't justified. But hey....

R2Icon wrote:
I agree that some presenters are over-exposed. One in particular must feel like he's the star in the real-life Trueman Show. I worry about that.


Oh I don't know - I've become quite adept at avoiding Chris Evans.


Ah yes but opinion is subjective, Colin. Honesty is raw, unprocessed and how it really is. It's not a crime though to enjoy listening to the shallow end of the broadcasting gene pool, they are afterall, there, because you do. It's a kind of mutually supportive co-existence I guess. Simpatico.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
Ah yes but opinion is subjective, Colin.


Very true.

R2Icon wrote:
Honesty is raw, unprocessed and how it really is. It's not a crime though to enjoy listening to the shallow end of the broadcasting gene pool, they are afterall, there, because you do.


I listen to what I listen to, yes, and I do appreciate a style of broadcasting that doesn't result in a given presenter treating me like either an unthinking idiot or a meal-ticket - or both. What i like about people like Allinson is that he doesn't treat me like an unthinking idiot (unlike a certain Mr. Evans) and instead provides me with a balance of music of the sort that I like and snippets of info of which I was previously unaware. I like that. That's cool by my standards!

I respect the fact that you feel it to be "at the shallow end of the gene pool" which, as you've asserted, is your brutal and honest opinion. That's OK, I'm happy with that.

Using your "gene pool" analysis, one could argue that because ITV's "X-Factor" achieves such high audience figures (well, Ok, it used to) then anything which doesn't aim to reach the same audience in the same way is from the "shallow end of the broadcasting gene pool" - which would indicate that a good documentary insight into a band or album or artist on BBC 4 late at night might be worthy of such an assessment. Clearly, that's nonsense........ particularly if you're the sort of person who prefers not to watch the former in favour of the latter. It's a question of what we expect from broadcasting and broadcasters. Our expectations very obviously differ but it has nothing to do with so-called "broadcasting gene pools", simpatico.
Back to top
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
R2Icon wrote:
Ah yes but opinion is subjective, Colin.


Very true.

R2Icon wrote:
Honesty is raw, unprocessed and how it really is. It's not a crime though to enjoy listening to the shallow end of the broadcasting gene pool, they are afterall, there, because you do.


I listen to what I listen to, yes, and I do appreciate a style of broadcasting that doesn't result in a given presenter treating me like either an unthinking idiot or a meal-ticket - or both. What i like about people like Allinson is that he doesn't treat me like an unthinking idiot (unlike a certain Mr. Evans) and instead provides me with a balance of music of the sort that I like and snippets of info of which I was previously unaware. I like that. That's cool by my standards!

I respect the fact that you feel it to be "at the shallow end of the gene pool" which, as you've asserted, is your brutal and honest opinion. That's OK, I'm happy with that.

Using your "gene pool" analysis, one could argue that because ITV's "X-Factor" achieves such high audience figures (well, Ok, it used to) then anything which doesn't aim to reach the same audience in the same way is from the "shallow end of the broadcasting gene pool" - which would indicate that a good documentary insight into a band or album or artist on BBC 4 late at night might be worthy of such an assessment. Clearly, that's nonsense........ particularly if you're the sort of person who prefers not to watch the former in favour of the latter. It's a question of what we expect from broadcasting and broadcasters. Our expectations very obviously differ but it has nothing to do with so-called "broadcasting gene pools", simpatico.


You could argue that, Colin, but as youíve pointed out, you wouldn't win because TV and Radio are two completely different animals- not even in the same gene-pool! How could you even think that?! Programmes like x-factor, although have a mild but superficial appeal to some intelligent people have a far more sinister raison d'etre: their sole purpose is to feed the monster that is the uneducated inadequate masses of our country. That is why it is/was popular.

Radio is different because you have to put in effort at the receiving end but some presenters just arenít worth it.

Weíll just have to agree to disagree on Richard Allinson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:

You could argue that, Colin, but as youíve pointed out, you wouldn't win because TV and Radio are two completely different animals- not even in the same gene-pool!


Yes Rachel. Anything you say Rachel! Rolling Eyes

R2Icon wrote:
Programmes like x-factor, although have a mild but superficial appeal to some intelligent people have a far more sinister raison d'etre: their sole purpose is to feed the monster that is the uneducated inadequate masses of our country. That is why it is/was popular.


Yes Rachel.

R2Icon wrote:
Radio is different because you have to put in effort at the receiving end but some presenters just arenít worth it.


How right you are on that score. I couldn't agree more...... Smile

R2Icon wrote:
Weíll just have to agree to disagree on Richard Allinson.


Indeed we will.

OK, I must go now - I have heads to clean on a BVU-950P, and when your BVU-950P's heads need a clean it's necessary to give them a clean. Or perhaps a good old scrub.
Back to top
R2Icon



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Posts: 1444

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the upside, Richard played my favourite track this morning. Of course I know he's just trying to garner favour, what with all the rumours of the imaginary clock award returning soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2Icon wrote:
Of course I know he's just trying to garner favour, what with all the rumours of the imaginary clock award returning soon.


He's such a cheeky boy! Go on Rachel, you know it makes sense.......... Smile
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com