R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lynn Parsons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steve Wright whom i feel is past his best


Totally disagree, he's a good listen on a long boring working afternoon, and long may he continue.

His show has plenty of female input as it is thanks! Wink

Janice Long would be totally out of her depth and comfort zone in the afternoon, and as much as I hate saying it, listening figures would soon drop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel what I am saying is that there are very many potential presenters and even stand ins who would not want to get up at 3.30 am to do a show where there is no guarantee of any permanence and many would use excuses like having young children or other commitments
Lynn has two children including a daughter aged 6 and she could have declined to cover at short notice using this an an excuse but the fact is she didn't and that shows that she is a reliable and responsible person who has proper consideration for her colleagues and the listeners
Lots of people get rewarded over and above their large salaries and to prove the point you only need to look at the number of millionaires who receive Knighthoods even though they are very well paid already so I frankly don't understand your argument
So far as giving a female presenter a peak time daily show is concerned I am all in favour of that but it should be done on ability and I certainly would not want to see the likes of Zoe Ball on our network every weekday
Its bad enough for just one week
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruddles, you donít see my argument because you donít want to see it. Smile

If Lynn Parsons gets the job because out of all the candidates whom have shown an interest in having the slot, she is the best person for that slot, then great, but please donít tell me she should get it because SHE decided, when asked, to get out of bed at 3:30 am at short notice or because she is a woman or because she has kids. If other presenters turndown early-morning work that is their choice.

Your knighthood argument sucks! Smile A knighthood is not a reward over and above a salary Ė itís completely separate Ė itís recognition by the State (not your employer) that the recipient has done something of worth, for the common good, above and beyond their day-job. Getting paid to fill-in for an early morning radio-show for a couple of weeks at short-notice hardly qualifies.

If your qualification requirements for peak-time presenters are based on ability then why do you think it should be any different for early morning presenters? Surely the candidate for the Early Breakfast Show should be chosen on ability also.

Iím with you on Zoe Ball- sheís total pants.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel I do agree with you that all presenters including those in the early morning should be hired on ability and you yourself have already said that Lynn is perfectly competent to do the job
There is therefore no reason why she would not be suitable for the job like possibly some other people
However if you have a number of candidates who are suitable then in order to make a choice you have to start looking at other factors including their previous track records and this might well include how helpful they have proved in the past and in that situation the matters I previously mentioned might well come into play
I do not think Lynn should be given the job because she is a woman but rather on merit and based on her connection with the network over several years and personally rather than her hosting the early breakfast show I would much prefer her to take over the
later breakfast show in place of the imbecilic idiot we are presently stuck with
I really don't understand what your problem is but you obviously have some kind of hangup about this particular issue
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe that we're still worrying this bone, and,, more to the point, I can't believe that Shennan is still vacillating over the simple job of rejigging the morning schedule.

Seems perfectly simple to me...

12.00 Janice Long
3.00 Alex Lester
6.00 Chris Evans
9.00 Ken Bruce

No need for an "Early Breakfast" Show; it's an extra mouth the BBC can ill afford to feed. Lynn Parsons is well suited to Smooth - let her stay there and provide holiday/sickness cover.

And if CE and/or KB complain/s about having to get in half an hour earlier tell them to get on their bike. Who's supposed to be the boss?
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Rachel I do agree with you that all presenters including those in the early morning should be hired on ability and you yourself have already said that Lynn is perfectly competent to do the job
There is therefore no reason why she would not be suitable for the job like possibly some other people
However if you have a number of candidates who are suitable then in order to make a choice you have to start looking at other factors including their previous track records and this might well include how helpful they have proved in the past and in that situation the matters I previously mentioned might well come into play
I do not think Lynn should be given the job because she is a woman but rather on merit and based on her connection with the network over several years and personally rather than her hosting the early breakfast show I would much prefer her to take over the
later breakfast show in place of the imbecilic idiot we are presently stuck with
I really don't understand what your problem is but you obviously have some kind of hangup about this particular issue


Good! Now that you have agreed with me, Ruddles, I don't have a problem. So Alex it is then. Smile
Back to top
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, let's have Lynn Parsons on between 6:00 - 9:00am.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel quite frankly I just cannot be bothered to argue with you any further
Its just totally unproductive as you obviously know it all and don't think anyone can have a valid opinion unless they choose to lower themselves to agree with you and you don't appear to be able to understand reasoned argument unless it happens to suit your own agenda
I will not be responding to any further posts made by you as it seems a pointless exercise
As they say 'Over and Out!'
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! Where did that come from?

Last edited by Rachel on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
littlepieces



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1098
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now people.it's only a radio station we are talking about Cool
_________________
I found out how you can hurt an insect.It's the bees knees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlepieces wrote:
Now now people.it's only a radio station we are talking about Cool


And not a very good one these days, either! Cool
Back to top
littlepieces



Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 1098
Location: Lowestoft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you colin.As i'm not doing nights anymore i hardly tune in anymore and listening on listen again isn't my thing
_________________
I found out how you can hurt an insect.It's the bees knees
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris keeps pulling in the extra half hour he might well be running from 6-9am. You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Chris keeps pulling in the extra half hour he might well be running from 6-9am. You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.


Sorry Mark but I haven't got a clue what you're on about there. Confused
Back to top
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.

I want someone to put the shine back on to R2's breakfast show. Bring on Lynn Parsons, Mark Goodier, Sybil Ruscoe or maybe Aled Jones.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.

I want someone to put the shine back on to R2's breakfast show. Bring on Lynn Parsons, Mark Goodier, Sybil Ruscoe or maybe Aled Jones.


You're not daring the suggest that the "Morning Chris Club" is anything other than an exemplar of modern radio broadcasting, are you?
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
Chris keeps pulling in the extra half hour he might well be running from 6-9am. You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.


Sorry Mark but I haven't got a clue what you're on about there. Confused


The extra half hour could do him wonders with the next rajars. If this proves right and Shennan can't really find a Early breakfast replacement - IE Lynn stays with Smooth. Chris could soon start at 6am. It does seem he's been groomed to take full control of Radio 2 soon Laughing ( Although he can't buy it )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.

I want someone to put the shine back on to R2's breakfast show. Bring on Lynn Parsons, Mark Goodier, Sybil Ruscoe or maybe Aled Jones.


You're not daring the suggest that the "Morning Chris Club" is anything other than an exemplar of modern radio broadcasting, are you?

As if!! Razz Well, as I don't work at the beeb, I don't have to worship at his shrine every day, so why not?!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
ColinB wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
Chris keeps pulling in the extra half hour he might well be running from 6-9am. You wouldn't want anyone else to take the shine off Radio 2 breakfast success.


Sorry Mark but I haven't got a clue what you're on about there. Confused


The extra half hour could do him wonders with the next rajars.


Mark, please, having to switch off my radio at 6.30am is bad enough. Such sadistic urges on your part should be suppressed for the sake of humanity. Really.

mark occomore wrote:
If this proves right and Shennan can't really find a Early breakfast replacement - IE Lynn stays with Smooth.


What on earth is all this nonsense speculation on your part? Does it really matter? You seem to be implying that there's not a competent presenter on the planet who can do an early morning show! If Evans were to be dragged in at an even more unsustainable hour (for him) than he's doing already then we're definitely witnessing the end of good radio as we once knew it.

Talking about scraping the barrel........ Rolling Eyes

mark occomore wrote:
Chris could soon start at 6am. It does seem he's been groomed to take full control of Radio 2 soon Laughing ( Although he can't buy it )


Don't speak too soon. When the Tories insist that Radios 1 and 2 are privatised in two years' time he may just prove you wrong.
Back to top
mymail9410



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: lynn parrsons & the imbecillic idiot Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
ruddlescat wrote:
Rachel I do agree with you that all presenters including those in the early morning should be hired on ability and you yourself have already said that Lynn is perfectly competent to do the job
There is therefore no reason why she would not be suitable for the job like possibly some other people
However if you have a number of candidates who are suitable then in order to make a choice you have to start looking at other factors including their previous track records and this might well include how helpful they have proved in the past and in that situation the matters I previously mentioned might well come into play
I do not think Lynn should be given the job because she is a woman but rather on merit and based on her connection with the network over several years and personally rather than her hosting the early breakfast show I would much prefer her to take over the
later breakfast show in place of the imbecilic idiot we are presently stuck with
I really don't understand what your problem is but you obviously have some kind of hangup about this particular issue


Good! Now that you have agreed with me, Ruddles, I don't have a problem. So Alex it is then. Smile


Does anyone know what Lynns plans are after smooth?

bring her back BBC stop making NEWS SPOOFS AND BROADCASTERS/DJ'S IMBECILES! like they do on the commercial networks.........

thats my view
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt she'll do what is right for her.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Steve Wright Sore Throat Reply with quote

Steve Wright sounded a little under the weather with his sore throat. Just incase he loses his voice I wonder who will cover him? Richard Allinson is on early breakfast so he may not be able too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SantaFefan



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 11258
Location: top of the cliffs in Norfolk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor old Steve did sound a little croaky this afternoon... I was surprised he did the show and not take the day off to protect his golden tones! Razz
I enjoyed the interview with Michael Winner.. he makes me laugh all in all.

Has Johnnie Walker ever covered for Steve wright?? Confused if not, why not?
_________________
Johnnie Walker read out my message on Pirate Radio! Very Happy 13/8/07
I have heard how radio should be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to open a new thread Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was supposed to be a thread about Lynn Parsons

Have you lot all been down the pub at lunchtime?

I've heard of having a winter warmer but you can take it too far Very Happy
Get some thermal knickers instead Shocked
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Have you lot all been down the pub at lunchtime?


No. Are you offering? Mine's a pint of Adnams please!

Cheers! Smile
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin I'm just pouring all of us a virtual pint

Mine tastes fantastic how about yours?
If you give me the phone number of your local on my private e mail and they take credit card payments by phone I'll get you one for Christmas Very Happy
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Colin I'm just pouring all of us a virtual pint

Mine tastes fantastic how about yours?


You've got some bloody good taste buds coz I can taste naff all!!!!!!! Smile
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you lot have all sobered up I wondered whether anyone else was listening to Smooth Breakfast this morning and spotted a rare error by Lynn

Around 9.30 she was announcing to listeners that Simon Bates would be taking over the show from the New Year and that he would be reviving Our Tune and if any listeners wished to participate they should e mail

Ourtune@ bbc.co.uk and then rather embarrassingly stopped in mid sentence having realised that she was giving the e mail address for the wrong network

Quite frankly I'm amazed how until today she has never made a mistake despite chopping and changing between networks and sometimes being on both in the same week
I have to say I think most of us would have got it wrong more than once if we had to do what Lynn is expected to do.She's a true professional and I'll be really sorry to see her go from the breakfast show

I gather she's covering on Radio 2 at some stage over the holiday so at least that is some consolation
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an e mail from the Programmes Controller at Smooth telling me that Lynn will be presenting the Smooth mid morning shows on Saturdays and Sundays from the New Year

Apparently it was her choice as I expect she wanted a change from all the early starts in 2010
I can't say I blame her really
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2869

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn Parsons will be so much preferable to the poor Graham Norton alternative.

At least Lynn will play good music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree Mark about Norton as well as that awful Wogan person on Sundays

I don't care for Michael Ball very much either but he's nowhere near as bad as Wogan
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Lynn is presenting Early Breakfast on Radio 2 from the 20th December according to the RT online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Now you lot have all sobered up I wondered whether anyone else was listening to Smooth Breakfast this morning and spotted a rare error by Lynn

Around 9.30 she was announcing to listeners that Simon Bates would be taking over the show from the New Year and that he would be reviving Our Tune and if any listeners wished to participate they should e mail

Ourtune@ bbc.co.uk and then rather embarrassingly stopped in mid sentence having realised that she was giving the e mail address for the wrong network

Quite frankly I'm amazed how until today she has never made a mistake despite chopping and changing between networks and sometimes being on both in the same week
I have to say I think most of us would have got it wrong more than once if we had to do what Lynn is expected to do.She's a true professional and I'll be really sorry to see her go from the breakfast show

I gather she's covering on Radio 2 at some stage over the holiday so at least that is some consolation


I didn't even realise Ourtune used to have an BBC email address Laughing Yes I 'm amazed she never slipped up now. A few months back she covered Early Breakfast and Smooth midmornings for Mark Goodier both on the same day, and used to do Zoe show and weekend smooth. I bet it can be a little difficult sometimes. I guess her contract is allowing her to do both stations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
I guess her contract is allowing her to do both stations.


Look at this way - if her contracts didn't allow it................... she wouldn't be doing both! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
Mark Mayhew



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 2869

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intrigued to hear that because she is so short Lynn Parsons broadcasts her shows standing up.

Is this unique amongst the presenters on Radio 2.

Standing up seems to have no bearing on her performance- indeed why should it.

I still think its a travesty she did not get the Early Breakfast Show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mayhew wrote:
I was intrigued to hear that because she is so short Lynn Parsons broadcasts her shows standing up.

Is this unique amongst the presenters on Radio 2.

Standing up seems to have no bearing on her performance- indeed why should it.

I still think its a travesty she did not get the Early Breakfast Show.


Chris Evans is a lankey git and he also stands up. There's nothing new about this style of presentation, though; it's been the case in the USA and Canada for decades, with Jocks claiming that it enables them to provide their links with more energy and keep things moving.

I remember seeing the main studio of our once-independent ILR station (which used to be Horizon 103 before it joined the Bland network), which was designed and project managed by a friend of mine. It had "stand-up desks" even in the late 80s. I was told that many on-air jocks came from a club background and this was how they were used to working.

Radio One studios have stand-up desks as well - take a look at the webcams and you'll see this to be the case.

Radio 2 has long been the home of the more sedate style of presentation, hence the emphasis on home comforts - like presenter seating!

Obviously, as the more "edgy" style of presentation (whatever that is) is imposed upon us by R2 we'll probably see a change. No doubt Evans will have some influence on this - after all, he seems to be influencing everything else at the Beeb at the moment!!!
Back to top
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3339
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Mayhew wrote:
I was intrigued to hear that because she is so short Lynn Parsons broadcasts her shows standing up.

Is this unique amongst the presenters on Radio 2.

Standing up seems to have no bearing on her performance- indeed why should it.

I still think its a travesty she did not get the Early Breakfast Show.

Not always stood up it seems. Here she is doing Dawn Patrol for Sarah Kennedy in the old studio days.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com