R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 songs of Britain 1939-2012, will be 50 songs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: 10 songs of Britain 1939-2012, will be 50 songs Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/9509040/Do-these-10-songs-represent-modern-Britain.html

Hmmm, eh?

First 10 tracks for The People's Songs

We’ll Meet Again - Vera Lynn (1939)

Rock Island Line - Lonnie Donegan (1954)

She Loves You - Beatles (1963)

My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small (1964)

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Procul Harum (1967)

Je T’Aime... Moi Non Plus - Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin (1969)

God Save The Queen - Sex Pistols (1977)

Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (1984)

Ebeneezer Goode - The Shamen (1992)

Rehab - Amy Winehouse (2006)
_________________
-
John W


Last edited by John W on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about Je T’Aime... God Save ..... Frankie Goes ...... Ebeneezer....

and the wrong Lonnie Donegan song.

for the 50 records need Deep Purple in there, The Clash, Human League, Cliff Richard.... Smile
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Abba should be somewhere in there Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abba? Not British.... but they were British culture ??
_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly John - if this gets restricted to only British artists then it's going to be a waste of time - it comes down to the music which has been part of British culture over all those years - or at least it should do Smile
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3419
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why post a second-hand account when the show has it's own page?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l9qb8

As you can read on there, it's not about British artists it's about British culture, and that page goes some way to explaining those first ten songs (which appear to be used as jumping-off points rather than the be-all and end-all).

Looks like an interesting series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, yes, Ian

We have SAID so above that it's going to be 50 records, and it's British CULTURE

hence Abba and Je t'aime and there will be a few American inclusions of course

Thanks for the programme page link.

Ian Robinson wrote:
Why post a second-hand account when the show has it's own page?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l9qb8

As you can read on there, it's not about British artists it's about British culture, and that page goes some way to explaining those first ten songs (which appear to be used as jumping-off points rather than the be-all and end-all).

Looks like an interesting series.

_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1135
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to be an excellent series and I will certainly listen to it, probably contacting the show with my own memories and thoughts.

The ten songs mentioned above are all good examples of contributions to / reflections of our culture and, as Ian says, they are merely a starting point for other things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Toggy



Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 1239

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John W wrote:


for the 50 records need Deep Purple in there, The Clash, Human League, Cliff Richard.... Smile


And Pink Floyd, Genesis, Elton John, etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see "God Save The Queen" by the Sex Pistols in there. I still rate that as the best single ever! My wife will approve of "Je t'aime". At school they had to take in something French during a French lesson and she took that single. She was sent to see the Head immediately. Attagirl!!!!!!

BTW - if this is a largely "singles" list then it's reasonable to see primarily "albums" bands being excluded, otherwise I'd put the whole of Led Zeppelin II, Deep Purple In Rock, Dark Side of The Moon, Trick of The Tale, etc in there as well, making the list a bit bloated!
Back to top
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3356
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
My wife will approve of "Je t'aime". At school they had to take in something French during a French lesson and she took that single. She was sent to see the Head immediately. Attagirl!!!!!!

Laughing And what did the head do, play the record for her?!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
ColinB wrote:
My wife will approve of "Je t'aime". At school they had to take in something French during a French lesson and she took that single. She was sent to see the Head immediately. Attagirl!!!!!!

Laughing And what did the head do, play the record for her?!


No, she was put in detention for week!
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
ColinB wrote:
My wife will approve of "Je t'aime". At school they had to take in something French during a French lesson and she took that single. She was sent to see the Head immediately. Attagirl!!!!!!

Laughing And what did the head do, play the record for her?!


No, she was put in detention for week!


What - a whole week or only an hour after school every day Shocked
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com