R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noel Gallagher CD with Today's Sunday Times

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Music Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Noel Gallagher CD with Today's Sunday Times Reply with quote

Oasis fans might be interested in a CD being given away with today's Sunday Times. "The Dreams We Have As Children" features 11 tracks recorded by Noel at a Teenage Cancer Trust gig at the Albert Hall. As well as a selection from the Oasis back catalogue there are 3 covers. Paul Weller joins Noel for The Butterfly Collector and All You Need Is Love, and there is a version of the Smiths' There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the ads for that on Planet Rock earlier. I'll have to chat up somebody who gets the paper in order that I can chuck the CD into iTunes. The list of tracks sounds impressive and, by all accounts, the gig was a fine one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else the papers are flogging in the ailing industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18193
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now which ailing industry are you meaning Mark? I can see 2 possibilities there.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Something else the papers are flogging in the ailing industry.


To be fair to the newspapers, it's the music industry that's cottoned on to the promotional potential of enabling the newspaper publishers to give away samples of their musical product as a sales incentive. After all, it benefits both parties - the record companies and the newspapers. So which, exactly, is the ailing industry in question?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18193
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be either, the newspaper industry is going through harder times due to lack of advertising and also sales are down.

Music industry is always crying that they are in hard times.

So which one was Mark referring to?

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sir Ad E Noid



Joined: 19 Dec 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad at all for a freebie CD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Ad E Noid wrote:
It's not bad at all for a freebie CD.


Yes I think so too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have mine with pleasure - I just wish they would stop giving us these CD's & DVD's and reduce the cover price!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
You can have mine with pleasure - I just wish they would stop giving us these CD's & DVD's and reduce the cover price!


The cover price would probably have to increase if they didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gfloyd



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 4861
Location: Here, There, Everywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this CD and think I might even laod it onto the ipod and give it a listen.
_________________
His name was ernie ........ and he drove the fastest milk cart in the west.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
You can have mine with pleasure - I just wish they would stop giving us these CD's & DVD's and reduce the cover price!


The cover price would probably have to increase if they didn't.



I doubt that, especially if they cut down on the ludicrous number of sections!
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
You can have mine with pleasure - I just wish they would stop giving us these CD's & DVD's and reduce the cover price!


The cover price would probably have to increase if they didn't.



I doubt that, especially if they cut down on the ludicrous number of sections!


Yes but you need content around which to wrap ads. So, with a "travel" section, the ad sales people can try and sell space to related businesses, health to health businesses, sports to sport, etc.

It's a fact that when a paper promotes a free cover-mount CD or DVD their sales go up substantially for that day and immediately after - especially if supported by an expensive Tv and radio campaign. They wouldn't commit to that if it didn't provide a pay back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, all I was saying was I don't like the fact that papers give away these things, I didn't ask for a lecture Surprised Smile
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18193
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
You can have mine with pleasure - I just wish they would stop giving us these CD's & DVD's and reduce the cover price!


The cover price would probably have to increase if they didn't.



I doubt that, especially if they cut down on the ludicrous number of sections!


Yes but you need content around which to wrap ads. So, with a "travel" section, the ad sales people can try and sell space to related businesses, health to health businesses, sports to sport, etc.

It's a fact that when a paper promotes a free cover-mount CD or DVD their sales go up substantially for that day and immediately after - especially if supported by an expensive Tv and radio campaign. They wouldn't commit to that if it didn't provide a pay back.



If you'd read my post you would see that advertising is down so they could do with fewer separate sections. In fact one good thing to come from this credit crunch is that there are fewer leaflets with the papers and magazines!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point well made H Cool
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
Look, all I was saying was I don't like the fact that papers give away these things, I didn't ask for a lecture Surprised Smile


Who was giving a lecture? Jeez... some people are so touchy in this forum.

Helen May wrote:
If you'd read my post you would see that advertising is down so they could do with fewer separate sections. In fact one good thing to come from this credit crunch is that there are fewer leaflets with the papers and magazines!


Yes, but if you reduce the page-count and the space you also limit the ad sales execs' ability to sell ads. That, in turn, reduces revenue. So it's a downward spiral.

Anyhow, I like lots of sections in the broadsheets, even if there's one or two (eg: sport) which don't interest me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadeinSurrey



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3130
Location: The Beautiful South

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colby wrote:
MadeinSurrey wrote:
Look, all I was saying was I don't like the fact that papers give away these things, I didn't ask for a lecture Surprised Smile


Who was giving a lecture? Jeez... some people are so touchy in this forum.

.


..And some people can't take a joke! Rolling Eyes
_________________
MiS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colby



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts: 1216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadeinSurrey wrote:
..And some people can't take a joke! Rolling Eyes


My apologies. I suspected I was in for a case of "infamy" for a minute. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Music Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com