R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tony Blackburn replaces Dale on POTP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
laissezfaire



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do. I don't have Sky any more but I used to listen on there when I did. It didn't have a designated EPG slot then, I had to tune in manually. These days I listen via my lap top. Parts of it leave a little bit to be desired, but as everyone there is a volunteer enthusiast, I would never criticise. I think they have more than earned their right to broadcast properly to the UK, don't you? I ordered the book from their website. I buy loads from there as the profit they make helps with the upkeep of the Ross.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony says in an interview the show will be Live. I guess it would have been live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/radio/2010/wk45/feature_pops.shtml
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Tony says in an interview the show will be Live. I guess it would have been live.


Tony's shows have always been better with him presenting alive.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
mark occomore wrote:
Tony says in an interview the show will be Live. I guess it would have been live.


Tony's shows have always been better with him presenting alive.


That joke is nearly as old, as Tony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""I suppose what I want to do is to put my own stamp on Pick Of The Pops," says Tony. "I am doing it from the BBC studios at Western House because I want to be a part of the station. Doing it live is really important to me because I can respond to listeners in a more immediate way." "

They're not making him move to Salford then.

In what way have the presenters of POTP over 50 years ever needed to "respond to listeners"? That sounds like more texts, emails and phone calls on the way.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
""I suppose what I want to do is to put my own stamp on Pick Of The Pops," says Tony. "I am doing it from the BBC studios at Western House because I want to be a part of the station. Doing it live is really important to me because I can respond to listeners in a more immediate way." "

They're not making him move to Salford then.

In what way have the presenters of POTP over 50 years ever needed to "respond to listeners"? That sounds like more texts, emails and phone calls on the way.


He won't be allowed too, because Smooth present shows from there Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockitRon wrote:
That sounds like more texts, emails and phone calls on the way.


Rolling Eyes That will be another show ruined if so
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what if the listener will interact with the show when Tony takes over. It's part of what radio is about now. I do wonder what Dale will end up doing?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
So what if the listener will interact with the show when Tony takes over. It's part of what radio is about now.


So what if it is the current fashion? It doesn't mean that all shows have to stoop to such depths. I'm fed up with stupid people's texts and emails - especially the kind of moronic junk we get on Chris Evans Breakfast Borefest. If people like Dale's POTP and Brian Mathew's SOTS can be presented perfectly well without all this silly "interaction" then there's no earthly reason why POTP with TB has to be infected with such superficial rubbish either.

If it ain't broke don't fix, that's what I say.

I despair of the appalling state of radio these days. Why destroy what's left of decent broadcasting?

mark occomore wrote:
I do wonder what Dale will end up doing?


Soaking up the sun at his Florida home and doing freelance assignments? TV shows where he can block record a whole series in two weeks here in the UK before jetting off back to Florida?

With the appalling state of Radio 2 and - increasingly - BBC1, I can't say I blame him.
Back to top
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
So what if the listener will interact with the show when Tony takes over. It's part of what radio is about now. I do wonder what Dale will end up doing?


What is there to interact on a show that plays records from old charts ? Just play the songs. that's what we want to hear.

If it ends up he just reads out the usual rubbish that people text in , eg answers to inane questions, what they are doing, or 'we love the show' etc then it has nothing to do with the show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin, you saying boring junk we ( To whom your speaking for the 8 million who tune in ) when you have made it clear, YOU don't listen, so how do you know what is going on in his show?

At the end of the day, if people choose to interact so be it. I'am sure the music will get played.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
Colin, you saying boring junk we ( To whom your speaking for the 8 million who tune in ) when you have made it clear, YOU don't listen, so how do you know what is going on in his show?


I wrote "boring junk" - and the small snippets of the show that get imposed on me here and there are enough to confirm that it is indeed moronic junk.

I had to endure the riest 10 minutes these last few days - and had to suffer the cringeworthy "Morning Chris Club" in doing so. And that's just at the start of the show. Enough said. "Moronic" is the most appropriate word and I'm sticking to it.

mark occomore wrote:
At the end of the day, if people choose to interact so be it. I'am sure the music will get played.


Of course the music will get played - isn't that the point of the show? You just don't get it, Mark, do you? People can only choose to "interact" if the show's format is modified to accomodate it - and POTPs does NOT need it. I repeat - it does NOT need it. Evans has to have this so-called "interaction" because he desperately needs his ego to be massaged constantly otherwise he'd be grossly insecure, but POTP doesn't need this silly "interaction" at all. Ever. Never.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and POTP ain't broke.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the music does get played. Too often in the Dale era we've had several records that a "bubbling under" before the chart is played - with some of the records left out! Surely the point of PotP is that it plays the records that were most popular at the time?

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1140
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the 'bubbling under' songs often became hits a week or so later, so should get played. And the songs left out are generally those going down the charts anyway.

I'm sorry that Dale is not doing POTP any more. He's knowledgeable and likes his music. Blackburn makes no secret of his dislike of the more edgy stuff (prog rock, punk etc) and will either not play such stuff or, if he does, will make some snide comment.
A despicable individual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Schiz I agree with what you say about TB
I'll still listen to the show but for me it just won't be the same without Dale.
He was just about the closest to the old classic Fluff style I could imagine
I really hope we will hear him again with some 60s specials on Radio 2
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizoidman wrote:
But the 'bubbling under' songs often became hits a week or so later, so should get played. And the songs left out are generally those going down the charts anyway.


I would agree with these values for the current charts. New material is generally more interesting than stuff that's been played to death for several weeks.

But PotP is about the charts of yesteryear (is that a radio word?). None of the songs have been playlisted for years, so the "bubbling under is more interesting than records dropping down the charts because they've not been played so much" argument doesn't apply any more. By definition, the records actually in the chart were selling better than the songs bubbling under and should be the ones played.

I can understand some songs being dropped on the basis that they're not suitable for the Radio 2 audience (e.g. Judge Dread for lyrics, Gary Glitter for subsequent revelations) but there should be no other reason not to play, say, the top ten in full.

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob there is absolutely no reason why the BBC should continue its ban on Judge Dread tracks as the lyrics are no worse than many if not the majority of R&B tracks in the charts today
After all the Sex Pistols and Frankie Goes to Hollywood have been played on Radio 2 for years even by Jeremy Vine
I can well understand the ban on Gary Glitter because of the obvious royalties issue but I really do strongly object to the continuing failure of the BBC to play tracks by the Glitter Band after they split from their former leader
They had some massive hits including Angel Face People Like You People Like Me and most well known of all The Tears I Cried all great tracks but never played on radio
It almost seems like guilt not even by association but previous association and I for one think its very wrong and I strongly object
They should not be penalised by the actions of an individual over whom in later years they had no control
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1140
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be the only person in the world who has never heard a Judge Dread song!
I've not heard, or can't remember, any of those Glitter Band songs you mention, Ruddles, though I did like Let's Get Together Again. I agree it does seem a bit absurd that their songs are never played when they had no connection with GG's offences. And who decides whether songs by convicted artists should be banned? After all, if drugs offences led to bans, all we'd hear on the radio would be Cliff Richard!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dared to select a Judge Dread track on a pub jukebox once because I don't think I'd ever heard one before. I honestly don't think it was any worse than the inuendo that you hear on Sir Terry's 'Janet & John' tales, which are now heard on a sunday no less!!
I also can't understand why tracks by The Glitter Band aren't being heard when Gary didn't feature on them.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Triumph Herald



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 85
Location: Bucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
I also can't understand why tracks by The Glitter Band aren't being heard when Gary didn't feature on them.
I agree. And I'm also in two minds about whether Gary Glitter hits should be banned on a show like POTP. I don't in any way excuse his disgusting activities, but I'm not in favour of simply excising bits of history because we don't like the people involved.

Jerry Lee Lewis was a pretty dark character by all accounts, but he's played. David Soul was - by his own admission - a wife beater. Pete Docherty's material isn't banned despite evidence that the proceeds have sometimes gone in illicit directions. George Michael and Boy George? Both recent jailbirds. Should we ban Genesis and 10cc on the grounds that they were discovered by Jonathan King? Or not play Nemo's The Sun Has Got His Hat On because it IS Jonathan King?

The list goes on. There are, and always have been, plenty of complete sh*tbags in the music business. Where do you draw the line?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Herald wrote:
Lord Evan Elpuss wrote:
I also can't understand why tracks by The Glitter Band aren't being heard when Gary didn't feature on them.
I agree. And I'm also in two minds about whether Gary Glitter hits should be banned on a show like POTP. I don't in any way excuse his disgusting activities, but I'm not in favour of simply excising bits of history because we don't like the people involved.

Jerry Lee Lewis was a pretty dark character by all accounts, but he's played. David Soul was - by his own admission - a wife beater. Pete Docherty's material isn't banned despite evidence that the proceeds have sometimes gone in illicit directions. George Michael and Boy George? Both recent jailbirds. Should we ban Genesis and 10cc on the grounds that they were discovered by Jonathan King? Or not play Nemo's The Sun Has Got His Hat On because it IS Jonathan King?

The list goes on. There are, and always have been, plenty of complete sh*tbags in the music business. Where do you draw the line?


The BBC seems to have decided that paedophilia is in a class apart from other crimes. The BBC presumably doesn't want to fight people on this subject do takes the safest route. And given the beatings the BBC have had in the press, who can blame them?

The problem here, though, is that convicted paedophiles still need to earn a living (I certainly don't want to pay for them to live on benefits through my taxes), so what can they do? Banning their reccordings makes earning an honest living harder and makes it more likely that they'll find a dishonest way of doing it.

These things are never simple. And it's a shame because it used to be allowed to like "Everyone's Gone to the Moon".

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Rob there is absolutely no reason why the BBC should continue its ban on Judge Dread tracks as the lyrics are no worse than many if not the majority of R&B tracks in the charts today.


I've not reviewed the lyrics for years (not since sniggering over them in the playground as a teenager) so I'll take your word for that. However, I would still be relunctant to play them simply because PotP is a nostalgia programme and relatively few people heard the records first time around to get nostalgic about them. They were big records by sales standards, but compared to the number of people who heard the other chart records at the time, it wasn't that many!

Rob.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ian Robinson
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 3428
Location: Chorley, Lancashire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Herald wrote:
George Michael and Boy George? Both recent jailbirds.

I'd be deliriously happy if Radio 2 stopped playing these dreary over-exposed attention-seeking idiots. When Steve Wright played a George Michael song in celebration of the drug-driver getting early release from jail I nearly kicked my radio in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what your saying Rob but I think I would take issue with your view that POTP should not play Dread tracks simply because they were not played by the BBC at the time
Those tracks were massive hit records perhaps partly because of the BBC ban but they were played on other stations eg Luxembourg and so millions of people did hear them and would remember them as part of their younger years
Personally I would like to start a campaign to get one of the Judge Dread tracks to Number one for this Christmas in order to stop the X Factor crap doing its usual sickly monopolising of the Christmas Number one
Anyone fancy joining me?
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:
I wonder where Dale is moving too?


He is presenting highlights of the CMA Awards on November 12th, 10pm to midnight.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob



Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Posts: 163
Location: Leicester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Personally I would like to start a campaign to get one of the Judge Dread tracks to Number one for this Christmas in order to stop the X Factor crap doing its usual sickly monopolising of the Christmas Number one
Anyone fancy joining me?


Judge Dread has got to be better than Rage Against the Machine!

Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
ruddlescat wrote:
Personally I would like to start a campaign to get one of the Judge Dread tracks to Number one for this Christmas in order to stop the X Factor crap doing its usual sickly monopolising of the Christmas Number one
Anyone fancy joining me?


Judge Dread has got to be better than Rage Against the Machine!

Rob

Go for it! I'd love to see Cowell's 'Christmas party' ruined for a second year running!!
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im loving the show today. Like the new ID jingle at the start of the show which went right into the POTP theme...

Ahhh great radio returns. Real old style DJ for POTP's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Tony did reasonably well for his first show and its good to have that live feeling rather than a prerecord as we have become used to
Having said that I thought Tony sounded a bit nervous and was putting in rather too much of his own experiences which are fine but only in moderation
I think he needs to practise more on the chart rundown as to me this aspect of the show was the most noticeable difference from the superb way Dale used to do it which in turn was a close copy of the original Fluff approach
In summary a good first effort but could do better Confused
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounded just like a cheesy R1 Dj of old Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I thought Tony did reasonably well for his first show and its good to have that live feeling rather than a prerecord as we have become used to
Having said that I thought Tony sounded a bit nervous and was putting in rather too much of his own experiences which are fine but only in moderation
I think he needs to practise more on the chart rundown as to me this aspect of the show was the most noticeable difference from the superb way Dale used to do it which in turn was a close copy of the original Fluff approach
In summary a good first effort but could do better Confused


On his facebook page it says give me time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark occomore wrote:

On his facebook page it says give me time.


He's only had about 50 years ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schizoidman



Joined: 20 Sep 2010
Posts: 1140
Location: Rural West Sussex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony was better than I thought he might be, no snide comments about The Stones and The Who when doing 1966, and some good anecdotes.

And with SOTS being a bit disappointing, thank God we've got POTP! It's 1968 next week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang-on a second guys. He may have been doing radio shows for about 40 years, I think he said on Smooth the other week. Your slatting a guy who knows his music and stuff. Give Tony time to find his feet. It's not as if he's just stepped in broadcasting just recently. Give it time let him blend in. This is what Radio 2 want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18272
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was fine, it was a good year to start with (66) and 79 wasn't bad either.

It's always difficult to take over a show that doesn't really let you make it your own. It's Fluff's style that we all like and thank goodness the Beeb want to keep it that way.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
I thought he was fine, it was a good year to start with (66) and 79 wasn't bad either.


I enjoyed it. My 26-year-old son was with me in the car whilst I was listening and he thought it was pretty good too. He said: "I thought Blackburn was a washed-up 60s DJ but he's actually pretty good".

We both agreed that the 1966 music was great but that the 1979 stuff was pretty naff.

Cheesy? Of course it was cheesy. I like cheese! Roll on January when he does the show live - that will give it an even sharper edge.

Well done, Tone. Arthur would be proud.
Back to top
mark occomore



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 9955
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I heard him saying on Smooth before he left " He doesn't like recording shows"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Arthur would be proud.


Who's Arthur?
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Evan Elpuss



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 3358
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog? Though he was 'Arnold'.
_________________
Lord Evan Elpuss, Your ideal job is a Lumberjack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnold was Tone's dog. Arthur isn't.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com