R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marvellous

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Marvellous Reply with quote

The title of this drama says it all...if you haven't seen it I can't recommend it highly enough.

Neil Baldwin is a total one off and this is a heartwarming account of his extraordinary life

Lou Macari is shown,in this,to be an absolute sweetheart and a lovely human being.

Part biopic, part musical and part fantasy, this is the inspirational and incredible true story of Neil Baldwin, a man who refused to accept the label of learning difficulties, and who has led an extraordinary life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jmx7l
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unclebuck



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Location: Warwickshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a feature about this tonight (I think it was on the One Show?) and resolved to watch it.
Further to your comments, I am doubly resolved!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, if you get to see it unclebuck, you enjoy it as much as I did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unclebuck



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Location: Warwickshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it too!

Loved the fact that the actual 'real-life' characters kept popping up and making comments......
Especially the quirky occasional inclusion of commentary between the main character portrayed in the programme (Neil) and the actor playing him (Toby Jones).

(I have become a bit of a fan of Toby Jones since seeing the Truman Capote thing recently.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebuck wrote:
I enjoyed it too!

Loved the fact that the actual 'real-life' characters kept popping up and making comments......
Especially the quirky occasional inclusion of commentary between the main character portrayed in the programme (Neil) and the actor playing him (Toby Jones).

(I have become a bit of a fan of Toby Jones since seeing the Truman Capote thing recently.)

I'm a fan too. For some reason I used to think he was American...could be I first saw him playing an American....but looking him up I see he was born in Hammersmith, London and that his father is the wonderful British character actor Freddie Jones.

Will be interesting to see if he is nominated for a Bafta for his perfomance in Marvellous

He stars in a new comedy series that starts tomorrow night on BBC4. I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Detectorists

A new comedy about two friends - Andy and Lance - who go searching for their hearts' desire with a couple of metal detectors.
Following a chance encounter with a young history student, Lance and Andy embark on a journey towards the discovery of a lifetime. All they need to do is get permission from the local landowner, the mad one who is rumoured to have done away with his wife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jy45z
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unclebuck



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Location: Warwickshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching The Detectorists (?) and thoroughly enjoying it.

I see also that a new Dad's Army film is in production with Toby Jones as Captain Mainwaring (amongst a fairly impressive cast).

There appears to be hope for the world, yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebuck wrote:
I have been watching The Detectorists (?) and thoroughly enjoying it.

Me too.

There was a scene in one of the episodes where Toby Jones was sat on his own, strumming his guitar, and you could see the thought process in his mind without him saying a word ...he is a real gem of an actor.

unclebuck wrote:
I see also that a new Dad's Army film is in production with Toby Jones as Captain Mainwaring (amongst a fairly impressive cast).


Will be interesting to see what the new cast make of this classic series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becky sharp wrote:


Detectorists


Hurray! There is to be a second series of this little gem of a programme. Very Happy

Everything about it was a delight. Mackenzie Crook should be well pleased with himself for creating it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
unclebuck



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 256
Location: Warwickshire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="becky sharp"]
becky sharp wrote:


Hurray! There is to be a second series of this little gem of a programme. Very Happy

Everything about it was a delight. Mackenzie Crook should be well pleased with himself for creating it.



Agreed... very good news.
How fantastic is it that we seem to have found someone who can write proper 'British' (ie. quirky/understated) comedy again?! This is one of the best things I have seen since Early Doors, which I considered a masterpiece!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unclebuck"]
becky sharp wrote:
becky sharp wrote:


Hurray! There is to be a second series of this little gem of a programme. Very Happy

Everything about it was a delight. Mackenzie Crook should be well pleased with himself for creating it.



Agreed... very good news.
How fantastic is it that we seem to have found someone who can write proper 'British' (ie. quirky/understated) comedy again?! This is one of the best things I have seen since Early Doors, which I considered a masterpiece!


I'm a big fan of Early Doors too ...it had a great cast! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
becky sharp



Joined: 01 Dec 2008
Posts: 5928

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becky sharp wrote:

Will be interesting to see if he is nominated for a Bafta for his perfomance in Marvellous

Well Toby was nominated but lost out to Jason Watkins who gave an equally brilliant performance as Christopher Jefferies in The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies. I should imagine it was a close call between the two ...perhaps even a tossed coin deciding who got it!
Marvellous itself was recognised with 2 Baftas which I was thrilled about....thoroughly deserved.
becky sharp wrote:

Detectorists


Good to see this programme receiving a Bafta too. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com