R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What age group is the breakfast show aimed at?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gnasty Gnome



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 313
Location: West Wales

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazmando wrote:

you come across to me as a self congratulatory little clique.


It's listening to "self-congratulatory little cliques" in the form of Evans and Steve Wright and their acolytes, which has put me off listening to a good deal of R2's daytime output.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When exactly did I say you didn't have a right to express an opinion then Ruddlescat I just said I personally have a right as I actually listen to the shows.
Maybe then,if you don't like Chris's show you should just accept it or emigrate (excuse me while I yawn).
I can stand the heat, and I'm happy to stay in the kitchen, but as you say I also have the right to express the opinion that a lot of the comments are childish and a lot of the time are downright ridiculous conspiracy theories.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz if I listened to the show and then criticised it to high heaven I would get accused of being a hypocrite
I have heard the show and feel fully qualified to express an opinion
The fact is that when Wogan left the BBC had the chance to replace him with a presenter who would be acceptable to the whole Radio 2 audience including the old Togs, people like you who like Chris Evans and the likes of me who don't like Wogan or Evans and would have preferred probably Johnnie Walker or perhaps a younger equivalent like Simon Mayo
It was a great opportunity to unite the potential audience but instead because of its apparent obsession with all things Evans the BBC chose to bring in a presenter who had a controversial style and who is disliked by a very large slice of the potential breakfast audience which in my mind is a recipe for disaster
I have no doubt there are some people who may like the current format of show but if the BBC chooses to ignore the wishes of a very major proportion of its audience it is hardly surprising that it gets criticised on this forum and elsewhere
You just don't seem to grasp that thousands of people dislike his style intensely
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazmando wrote:
"Oh I must go out of my way now to retune my radio at 6.30 now", wow!!! is it really really that hard to tune your radio?.


Of course it isn't! What is a problem, though, is finding music-based national radio stations whose breakfast time output isn't now formatted to appeal to unthinking idiots. Chris Evans' "show" is a prime example of such lowest-common-denominator programming.
Back to top
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Oh my niece and nephew like it, oh yes hahaha that must make it point proven, hohoho."


It would be funny if it wasn't true, its a big hit on the school run, they do a great rendition of "How do you like your eggs......."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how I like my eggs
Very hard boiled and propelled at very high speed in the direction of a certain breakfast presenter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 17848
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazmando wrote:
Helen, when has Chris's breakfast show centred around kids?
There is one spot where a kid says what they did the day before, which lasts about 2 minutes.
That's hardly basing the whole show on kids is it really?
There is far more stuff based on babies and kids on Jeremy Vines show.


As I my comment was made in January and it's now October I can't remember exactly what made me say it, but having re-read the thread it was based on the little bits I heard and the trail which I mentioned. I don't listen apart from having to hear the trails during other programmes that I do listen to.

When he did Drivetime he involved children far more than his predecessors, again I'm not in favour of it.

As for JV talking about them okay, but he doesn't have them phoning up and taking part everyday!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I know how I like my eggs
Very hard boiled and propelled at very high speed in the direction of a certain breakfast presenter!


It would be more fun if the egg were raw! Cool
Back to top
childprufe



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 212
Location: lincolnshire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion that listeners who don't like Chris Evans' show should re-tune to another station belongs in the realms of the radio 2 messageboard trolls. The argument has always been that there are many breakfast shows in the same style as Evans', but Terry Wogan was unique.
_________________
Standing on Ray Moore's shoulders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jill Hickman



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 31
Location: Oxfordshire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

childprufe wrote:
The suggestion that listeners who don't like Chris Evans' show should re-tune to another station belongs in the realms of the radio 2 messageboard trolls. The argument has always been that there are many breakfast shows in the same style as Evans', but Terry Wogan was unique.



Childprufe reading this thread made me feel more and more angry, as like you say, this smacks so much of the old MB with the record stuck at "retune to another station". In my case there is seriously no other station as I only have limited FM and drive to work - hence same drivel. Ruddlescat makes a good point about alternatives. Please don't let the 'plank of wood on your shoulder' Evans adorers start insulting the intelligent people that it has been a pleasure to communicate with on this board. This is a breath of fresh air to log into and debate like adults, unlike the old board.

Glad to have got that off my chest Exclamation
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill Hickman wrote:

Childprufe reading this thread made me feel more and more angry, as like you say, this smacks so much of the old MB with the record stuck at "retune to another station".

This is a breath of fresh air to log into and debate like adults, unlike the old board.

Glad to have got that off my chest Exclamation


Jill, because a lot of "the old MB" have retuned here you are bound to get a lot of the old opinions expressed. The only difference is that, here, the messages won't be suppressed, unless they take on the nature of spam.

Personally, I think it all sounds more and more like a children's playground. I expressed the opinion long ago that all the whingeing was overdone, because there may come a time when it is really justified, and the impact of any complaints will be diminished by the fact that "you're always complaining". For that reason, I mostly keep away from these type of threads.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to the show any more, I had a club night of old 90's indie stuff to sort out for a while so started listening to CD's in my car a lot more.

My only argument against the current show and to be fair a little of Wogan's near the end (I only started listening to R2 because of my love of Wogan) there is too much chatter. The reason R1's breakfast host Chris Moyles doesn't feature on my radio is because in half hours travel you may not get one song played (good or bad). R2 show is similar to that and as I say Wogan was a bit like that later on too.

The Breakfast Show has always been THE show on radio no matter what the station and even Wogan would have polarised the audience not many people under 40 are big fans. If /When R2 gets it's overhaul Ce will be seen as too close to the old guard and the one of the first to go.
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

undiscovered wrote:
If /When R2 gets it's overhaul Ce will be seen as too close to the old guard and the one of the first to go.


... or when it's realised that he has reached saturation point with the Radio 2 and BBC TV audiences.
Back to top
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Childprufe, I wasn't telling anybody to retune their radio.
When I said "accept it or emigrate" I was copying word for word what Ruddlescat said to me if I didn't agree with the majority view on this board.
That was a ridiculous comment and I used it in the same way to show how ridiculous it was.
And Jill, it's lovely having intelligent conversations when people are agreeing with what you say, but it's not intelligent at all aiming personal insults against DJs and people who enjoy their shows. (I don't mean you personally)
Read RockitRons posts to hear a voice of reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz when I said 'accept it or emigrate' I was obviously talking about the situation where someone did not accept the outcome of an election
Obviously nobody is going to emigrate just because they are in a minority on a forum like this that would be silly
However the principle is the same
In a democracy you have to live with the majority view like it or not and you shouldn't complain simply because most people do not agree with you
Tolerance is what is required in a civilised society- up to a point anyway
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Obviously nobody is going to emigrate just because they are in a minority on a forum like this that would be silly


If Gaz told me to emigrate to somewhere nice and warm and offered to pay the fare in exchange for not posting here, I think I'd take him up on the offer!
Back to top
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempting Colin, tempting (just kidding).
If I had the money I'd buy a nice Caribbean island and you could all come and live there.
I'd even have Chris Evans there as a resident DJ just to make you all even happier!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as he doesn't start BEFORE midday Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruddles, I'm not complaining at all that the majority of posters on here disagree at all, it could be me against the world and I'd stand up for my view not complain about yours.
All I complain about is the hostility shown towards Chris personally and towards anyone who listens to him which I think is a fair stance on my part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Nod, with all that beautiful scenery and warmth you should be up at the crack of dawn.
Anyway his studio is gonna be right next door to your hammock so there lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz I promise you I don't bear any hostility or malice towards anyone on this forum but I will not be put off expressing genuinely held views just because the odd person here and there might not like them
If you go on to a thread about Chris Evans the chances are you will almost certainly come across views which may annoy you so if you don't like that the simple answer is not to go on to that particular thread in the first place
There are many other threads on the forum totally unrelated to Mr Evans and the chances are there will be things there on which you will agree with people
I post on lots of other far less controversial subjects so please don't think I have some hangup about Mr Evans
Yes I do dislike him intensely but I don't let it take over my whole life!
Especially as I now have the delightful Lynn Parsons to listen to at breakfast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John W



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 3360
Location: Warwickshire, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think some folks here have just about said all they need to say about Chris Evans. Except for any new gimmicks or silly stuff on his show I don't see the need to go on and on about the same things again and again.

Remember the forum rules start with:

1. No thread should result in personal insults, either regarding presenters or fellow posters.

2. Continual spamming of opinions, especially opinions moaning about a particular presenter or show, or genres of music that the poster does not listen to, will not be tolerated. This Forum is not aimed at descending into the public denigration of respected broadcasters .......

_________________
-
John W
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nod



Joined: 24 Dec 2006
Posts: 3555

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazmando wrote:
Come on Nod, with all that beautiful scenery and warmth you should be up at the crack of dawn.
Anyway his studio is gonna be right next door to your hammock so there lol


I would be up and about at the crack of dawn but I don't want the morning peace spoilt by an overexcited DJ, I dont mind him in the afternoon or doing drivetime (maybe we won't need drivetime on this small island ? )

Maybe TW and Sk could retire there as well and do the morning shows ?, that would be great Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if I were spending the rest of my days on a desert island I don't think I'd need a morning DJ at all. That's that sorted then!
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Shows and Music on Radio 2 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com