R2OK! Forum Index R2OK!
Contact R2OK! admin

Click here for R2OK! Website


 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listen up...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Listen up... Reply with quote

Listeners are up. Well, for Radio 2 anyway. Not so good for 6 Music - more listeners smaller reach- niche market, just for nerds. No doubt why R & M are packing up their bowling bags and heading that way.
Back to top
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news. Someone must like it, contrary to appearances on here.

If they weren't so eager to push digital radio R&M would probably be presiding over 6Music's final days.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only... but also...

"Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans remained the most popular breakfast host, with an audience of 8.72 million listeners, up 310,000 on the previous quarter, compared to the 7.45 million who tuned into his Radio 1 rival Chris Moyles each week, up from 7.1 million in the previous three months."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/feb/03/rajars-talk-radio

Interesting also to note that there was almost no change in the figure or share for the much vaunted "rival" to Radio 2, Smooth, which went national in October.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather have a quality broadcast with lower audience figures than the type of trash Radio 2 currently offers at breakfast time

These figures are meaningless because if you choose to pander to the lowest common denominator you are obviously going to get increased ratings but for the wrong reasons

One only has to look at circulation figures for The Sun newspaper
It sells by far the most copies every day but would anyone in their right mind describe it as a publication of any quality?

Just because a thing is popular does not in itself offer any pointers as to quality so I really do wish people on both sides of this argument would stop constantly going on about these issues
The whole thing is a total red herring
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18128
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ruddles, no need to add anymore.

I'll only add that I'm listening to less and less as the weeks go by.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Helen; what the figures clearly demonstrate is that there's a lot of people who will listen to any old crap in the same way as people watch the same old crappy telly, eat the same crappy junk food (even though they know it's killing them) and worship the same stupid celebrities. Statistics tell us nothing and yet the same statistics tell us everything we need to know.

My wife often has R2 on when she gets up at 6.30ish, which means that has been hearing a bit of Chris Evans' appalling show, but I notice that this morning even she ran for the "off" switch when he was shouting out what's in the newspapers today.

I won't repeat the words she used, but they weren't nice.....! Smile
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
These figures are meaningless because if you choose to pander to the lowest common denominator you are obviously going to get increased ratings but for the wrong reasons


What exactly do you mean by “the lowest common denominator”?

ruddlescat wrote:
Just because a thing is popular does not in itself offer any pointers as to quality so I really do wish people on both sides of this argument would stop constantly going on about these issues


You don't have to contribute. This is a forum where we talk about Radio 2- the listening figures came out today and they seem to point to a different opinion than the one shown by many on here. If it had been the other way around you would have been all over it like a rash.
Back to top
Fred



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Cirencester, Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that when Wogan was on Breakfast, the figures seemed to prove how popular he was. With Evans on Breakfast, they show how stupid the British public is.

I don't get that. Confused
_________________
Fred Hart
Student & Broadcaster
Website: http://www.fred-hart.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18128
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
You don't have to contribute. This is a forum where we talk about Radio 2- the listening figures came out today and they seem to point to a different opinion than the one shown by many on here. If it had been the other way around you would have been all over it like a rash.



So it's back to R2 messageboard rules by which if you don't like you've to shut up?..................

Thought things were more civilised on here.

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred as I tried to make clear in my earlier post I dislike audience figures being quoted on either side of the breakfast show argument because they are meaningless except apparently to Network Controllers who seem obsessed with them when in actual fact we are paying through our licence fees for them to be providing quality programming not inane rubbish

The Chris Evans Show is Radio 2's equivalent of the Sun Newspaper-
apparently popular but extremely lacking in any kind of quality

Incidentally I would argue exactly the same point over Wogan's audience figures and the fact that they were relatively high did not necessarily mean that he was the right person to be hosting a breakfast show

The truth is that the breakfast show is the most popular one on virtually every radio station and so it will always attract relatively high numbers of listeners whoever is presenting it

I just wish people would forget about these figures otherwise they are simply playing the thing to Bob Shennan's silly agenda
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen May wrote:
Rachel wrote:
You don't have to contribute. This is a forum where we talk about Radio 2- the listening figures came out today and they seem to point to a different opinion than the one shown by many on here. If it had been the other way around you would have been all over it like a rash.



So it's back to R2 messageboard rules by which if you don't like you've to shut up?..................

Thought things were more civilised on here.

H


No I'm not saying that at all, Helen. I'm saying do talk about it- say whatever you like as often as you like. The complaint I quoted was that we ARE talking about it. That's the point of this place isn't it, we may as well shut up shop if we don't want to talk about what's going on.
Back to top
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
Fred as I tried to make clear in my earlier post I dislike audience figures being quoted


Well, if you could just give us a list of things you dislike- we'll try not to talk about them. Oh hang on, wouldn't that leave us with nothing to talk about?
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of quoting selectively and out of context but from that point of view I think the last post takes the biscuit

How silly can some people get?
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
How silly can some people get?


I don't know, I'm quite good at being silly but I'm not a patch on the person who joined a Radio 2 Forum to say he doesn't listen to Radio 2 and doesn't like talking about it.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruddlescat wrote:
I'd much rather have a quality broadcast with lower audience figures than the type of trash Radio 2 currently offers at breakfast time

These figures are meaningless because if you choose to pander to the lowest common denominator you are obviously going to get increased ratings but for the wrong reasons

One only has to look at circulation figures for The Sun newspaper
It sells by far the most copies every day but would anyone in their right mind describe it as a publication of any quality?

Just because a thing is popular does not in itself offer any pointers as to quality so I really do wish people on both sides of this argument would stop constantly going on about these issues
The whole thing is a total red herring


I thought the BBC was supposed to be more about quality rather than viewing figures, like you say Rudd. I am not getting into a I don't like him I like him but R2 is not for me anymore but someone likes it.

I wouldn't buy the Sun either I might add
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aviddiva



Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 1135
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Listen up... Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Mark Radcliffe disagreed with Shennan D'oh's policies and this led to him and Stuart Maconie taking their bats and balls home.
_________________
We are loonies and we are proud!

- Campbell Bain in 'Takin' Over The Asylum'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gibbo



Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 117
Location: Wirral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd believe the opinions of people on here over "official" figures from the BBC any day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo wrote:
I'd believe the opinions of people on here over "official" figures from the BBC any day.


Good! Chris Evans rocks baby!! Wink Laughing
Back to top
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo wrote:
I'd believe the opinions of people on here over "official" figures from the BBC any day.


These figures are not from the BBC - they're audited independently....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kengeo



Joined: 21 Sep 2010
Posts: 278
Location: Gloucestershire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Good! Chris Evans rocks baby!!


How and why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kengeo wrote:
Rachel wrote:
Good! Chris Evans rocks baby!!


How and why?


Well, from side to side and because he's just a tad unstable. Smile
Back to top
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
Well, from side to side and because he's just a tad unstable. Smile


I agree, Rachel. He does appear to be a tad unstable! Smile
Back to top
gazmando



Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Posts: 560
Location: Huntingdon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always hated the assumption by some people that if you enjoy The Chris Evans Breakfast show you are a stupid, junk food eating, lowest common denominator imbecile!!!
I wouldn't describe myself, or any of my work colleagues that way at all and find it fairly insulting.
And to say the anti Evans gang wouldn't have pounced if his listening figures had gone down is quite ridiculous, and I think, hand on heart you all know it.
Also Gibbo do you believe the opinions of people on here rather than the "official" figures as long as they are of the same opinion as you then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gazmando wrote:
I've always hated the assumption by some people that if you enjoy The Chris Evans Breakfast show you are a stupid, junk food eating, lowest common denominator imbecile!!!


As the person who brought the subject of "junk food eating" into the discussion, I should perhaps add that at no stage was I implying that those people who listen to the Insufferable Evans are also likely to be consumers of junk food. The point I was making referred to how statistics can be used to prove anything.

With that in mind, I likened the fact that whilst Evans might well have achieved a high audience statistic, it doesn't mean that it can automatically be described as "quality" broadcasting. By way of comparison, I used the example of the high volume purchase of processed, fat-saturated foods in supermarkets - the statistics will probably point to large sales volumes but does that offer proof that such foods are "quality"?

As it happens I do indeed liken the Evans Breakfast Show with junk food, by that's not the point.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With great respect Colin I think the comparison with the Sun newspaper is probably easier for most people to understand

As I mentioned previously Chris Evans is the Radio 2 equivalent

Apparently popular but seriously lacking in quality
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I don't like the Sun Newspaper, I do like the Chris Evans Show- surely that's a paradox. In your world, one of those statements must be untrue.
Back to top
ruddlescat



Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 18010
Location: Near Chester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting that everyone who listens to Chris Evans is a Sun reader

I'm really making the point mentioned by Colin that audience numbers or in the case of the Sun reader numbers are not necessarily an indication of the quality of a radio show or a newspaper and the same applies to junk food as Colin pointed out

Many people take the easy option rather than the best option Sad
_________________
Are you ready for a Ruddles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
But I don't like the Sun Newspaper, I do like the Chris Evans Show- surely that's a paradox. In your world, one of those statements must be untrue.


No Rachel that's just weird Wink
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you’re saying and I understand and sympathise, to a degree, with that viewpoint, indeed, there are elements of Chris’ show that don’t float my boat entirely: I think that’s a good thing because it shows, for me anyway, (I can only presume that some others perhaps do the same), that I’m not taking the easy option. Special Fried Rice is my favourite Chinese dish but I never eat the little green chunks of whatever they are, and it takes quite an effort to pick them all out and then put them to one side. It’s much the same with Chris’ show: you listen to it – taste everything, then you learn the bits that you like and the bits that you’re happy to leave to one side for hubby to eat. Because everyone is different, the bits they like and the bits they leave are different, otherwise we’d have an EU mountain of leftover little green chunks- we’d be swimming in them! If I were to take the easy, lazy option, I’d have garlic and honey fried chicken with chips and gravy; I wouldn’t leave the tiniest scrap for anyone, I’d smell like a Frenchman’s armpit and would have no friends. That’s pretty much what would happen with the quality radio you’re talking about. It would smell like a Frenchman’s armpit and hardly anyone would want that for breakfast five days a week. Smile


Weird?... Nah not me. Smile
Back to top
undiscovered



Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 650
Location: Peterborough

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest in general it doesn't matter who presents the show if the music is good, but it helps if they are informed a little in eth music they put out.
I think ALL radiostations these days, commercial ones it has always been the case but not so with the BBC are chasing the golden figures of justification in their meddling.
I think R1 and 6 music are great stations for what the BBC should be yes may not get it, but they cater for something that maybe wouldn't be catered for if we didn't have the BBC
_________________
You will hear gospel and rhythm and blues and jazz, all those are just labels, we know that music is music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, it's just not possible to assess any particular elements of Evans' show without having to endure the voice that glues it all together. And that's the inherent problem - he has (to me, at least) the most annoying vocal style imaginable. You only have to listen to the first minute of his "show" to detect that he's not only trying very hard to sound jolly and on-the-ball but he's also letting it slip that he's desperate for attention. It all sounds so false - and I cannot stand all the contrived bonhomie either.

I don't know why "breakfast" has to consist of such an assault on one's senses from 6.30am onwards. Evans' radio and TV style is old-hat, tired and - well - just plain tiresome! Thank heavens for the vast array of alternatives that are now available to us out there in the "digital space"!
Back to top
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
I don't know why "breakfast" has to consist of such an assault on one's senses from 6.30am onwards. Evans' radio and TV style is old-hat, tired and - well - just plain tiresome! Thank heavens for the vast array of alternatives that are now available to us out there in the "digital space"!


Maybe you should spend more time listening to what you do enjoy instead of repeating the same old "I hate Chris Evans" mantra ad nauseum......... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaky Fan wrote:
Maybe you should spend more time listening to what you do enjoy instead of repeating the same old "I hate Chris Evans" mantra ad nauseum......... Rolling Eyes


I'm just engaging in an open dialogue. Anyhow, I don't know about you but I find that it's actually possible to listen to what I like AND type text in a web forum such as this! Smile
Back to top
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinB wrote:
Shaky Fan wrote:
Maybe you should spend more time listening to what you do enjoy instead of repeating the same old "I hate Chris Evans" mantra ad nauseum......... Rolling Eyes


I'm just engaging in an open dialogue. Anyhow, I don't know about you but I find that it's actually possible to listen to what I like AND type text in a web forum such as this! Smile


You're just "arguing" the same point over and over again - you don't like Chris Evans - we get it, move on! Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ColinB
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaky Fan wrote:
You're just "arguing" the same point over and over again - you don't like Chris Evans - we get it, move on! Rolling Eyes


Like I said above, I'm only joining in with an existing discussion on the subject of general standards (lowering of). And, as it happens, so are you it would appear.
Back to top
Shaky Fan



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 628

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rachel
Guest





PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard on he news at 07:30 - listeners are up again for the Breakfast Show: another 400,000 - just about 9.5 million in total now but who's counting. Smile
Back to top
RockitRon



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 7565

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.53 million.

It's all gone very quiet.
_________________
Ron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Helen May



Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 18128
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has in our house because I don't listen between 06.30 and 09.30!

H
_________________
88 - 91 FM this is Radio 2 from the BBC!

I said it live on air in the studio with Jeremy Vine on 10/3/2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    R2OK! Forum Index -> Radio 2 - what's happening? All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com